Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
Karen-S
Karen-S began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Decisions...

Hi all

I’m a relatively recent convert to reading books digitally & I’ve been happy using my iPad (iBooks, Kindle, Borrowbox and Overdrive) however we’re going travelling for six weeks and I’d prefer something smaller, lighter and at potentially less risk of theft.

My requirements are:
  • Front lit for reading on long haul flights when everyone else is lucky enough to be asleep
  • Around 6”
  • Can read third party epubs, - although that seems like every reader can do that with the help of calibre etc
  • Can transfer between the reader, my iPad and possibly my macbook – have I read somewhere that some apps will retain bookmarks of where you’re up to in a book between devices?

At this stage I’m reading more library books on my iPad than purchased books, which seems to put Kindle out of the running (is there ANY way around this on Kindle (I'm in Australia) ?)

I’ve read a couple of articles that say B&N may go bust, or won’t be making Nooks anymore, and that if that happens the Nook books might disappear or be unreadable

Kobo seems to get points for transportability of books between devices but there are quite a few people on here who’ve had technical issues and customer service hassles. (Of course for everyone with a Kobo/Nook/Kindle issue there’s someone with a glowing review and vice versa  )

Sony gets good feedback but I read they’re not planning on introducing any models with frontlighting...

Obviously I have to make my own choice… but I’d appreciate thoughts from the community on any incorrect info I might have posted above.

Cheers
Karen

Last edited by Karen-S; 07-15-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Karen-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:27 AM   #2
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Cybook Odyssey HD
Hi Karen-S!

You want a frontlit one so the choice is still a bit limited.

- Kindle paperwhite: doesn't read epub without conversion via Calibre, so your library books might not be readable at all, not sure how this works. Your Kindle account might not be available in the country you are traveling to so storage space could be an issue (but probably not, depends on how many books you want available at all time). But there are many advantages too...

- Kobo Glo (or Aura if available): seems to fit the bill. Their customer service answered my question within 24H but it wasn't about a technical problem...

- B&N Nook: unless you already are a B&N customer or want to support competition, not too sure what it has over the other too. I read their epub are not standard either... Oh, and they discontinued their reading app.

- Cybook Odyssey HD: firmware is not as good as the first two, light isn't as good as that of the Aura (didn't have the opportunity to compare with the other two) and customer service is said to be dreadful. No dictionary provided (but you can make your own), no search feature and the sleep button is hard to use. Other than that... It has buttons, it runs on linux, support epubs... Unless you absolutely want custom dictionaries or buttons (or if you are a complete geek addict), I doubt you'd want it.

So I guess only the first two would be really interesting for you. Good luck!
Ansileran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2013, 06:56 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
If you're reading library ebooks, the Kindle is completely out. No support in Australia. The Nook isn't sold here at all. So that narrows it down!

As far as syncing bookmarks between devices, that will only work with books you bought directly from the device seller (e.g. Kobo, not sure who else does it - Kindle, I think) and synced with their servers, and it will also only work with that company's app on your tablet, not with your reading app of choice.

On support: If you need technical support for a Kobo, I really suggest trying here first - you'll get a much quicker and very likely better response than from Kobo's email support. I've hit the odd speedbump, but this forum and the amazing depth of knowledge and willingness to help sorted me out quickly each time. Save your Kobo support calls for a situation where you really need it (a warranty return, for example), and you should be ok; if you do need to access support, I suggest using the phone rather than email.

I'm sorry, I know nothing about the Odyssey. Not sure if there's library book support with that one, but someone else here should know.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
Karen-S

'thank you for your reply
I'm glad to hear you've had a good experience with Kobo, perhaps that will be my best bet as Amazon dont have any immediate plans to extend the public libraries option
Old 07-15-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you are going for a Glo, last time I looked the best price was to go to Officeworks and request a price-match with Harris Tech. Resulting price is around $131.
Advert
Old 07-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #6
Karen-S

That's really helpful advice, thanks Meeera
Old 07-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

No worries! Enjoy your reading.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #8
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
With frontlit, you have the ONYX BOOX i62HD FIREFLY. The best support is done by : http://ereader-store.de/en. This shop propose a special version : 8GB / 256MB, the other model is 4GB/128MB.
The device (under Linux) is seen by the computers like a USB key.
You can read EPUB, PDF, mobi, FB2, HTML, etc.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Personnaly I've just came through the same questioning and choose the Kobo Glo (I'll get it tonight!!!!!)

Four readers were in competition:
- Kobo Glo
- Pocketbook Touch Lux (brand new, open "software wise") http://boutique.pocketbook.fr/product.php?id_product=58

- Cybook Odyssey HD Frontlight
- No Kindle, because of the epub story. And I don't like when it is really not open.

I went for the Glo because of the screen. I've tried one of my colleague's Odyssey HD Frontlight and screen is "too grey" for me (but still very good, but as I am coming from an e-reader without touch sensitive layer, I was deceived). It's a very good reader anyway. As a first choice (and even second ), You won't be disapointed.

The Pocketbook Touch lux looked promising, but it is said that the screen is as "grey" as the Odyssey. I skipped this one as well.

So finally, I ended on the Glo, which seems highly "tweakable". Good for a nerd like me. And just do what you're asking, means reading.

The best option is to try to borrow one that you can use for one week, and make your opinion on what is important or not. A bunch of appealing features can really be useless in reality. If it's your first one, any device you'll choose, you'll be happy with.

But if you can be "VERY" happy. That would be better.
Anghirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
As far as syncing bookmarks between devices, that will only work with books you bought directly from the device seller (e.g. Kobo, not sure who else does it - Kindle, I think) and synced with their servers, and it will also only work with that company's app on your tablet, not with your reading app of choice.
I know this is a side issue, but for the record, you can sync books you didn't buy from Amazon (or at all) between Kindle devices and apps.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote