Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
yaelkmiller
yaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 4
HTML to MOBI Conversion General Questions

I use Calibre to convert from an HTML file to MOBI and upload that MOBI file to Kindle. I haven't had any issues and then suddenly on one ebook I've gotten reviews that the formatting is off and Amazon sent me a notice that "HTML Tags are present throughout." I'm trying to nail down what the issue is.

I use HTML5 doctype so this is what the HTML file looks like -- things in [] are not actually in the document and are just there for this thread.

Code:
<!doctype html>
<html>
<head>
<style type="text/css">
html, body, div, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, ul, ol, dl, li, dt, dd, pre, table, th, td, tr { margin: 0; padding: 0em; }
[more styles]
</style>
</head>
<body>
[ebook]
</body>
</html>
Are there any issues with the above?

Are there issues using HTML5 doctype? If I shouldn't use HTML5 doctype, then what HTML doctype?

I don't use any HTML5 tags. But are there any other HTML tags that Kindle doesn't like? Does Kindle have any issues with em instead of i or strong instead of b?
yaelkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
If people are seeing HTML tags, that typically means that a bunch of <s got turned into &lt;s.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
yaelkmiller
yaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 4
dgatwood, thanks for answering. It turns out the issue is with Kindle Fire and its new file format. Also, Amazon doesn't support third-party conversion software like Calibre anymore.

Amazon does say which tags they like or don't in their Kindle Publishing Guidelines.
yaelkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doctype, html, html5, kindle, mobi