Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-26-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
gkc
gkc began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Audible Books

This post is addressed to those who have worked on and possibly influence those people who can make things happen. Although I have several books on my iPad and Kindle, I mostly listen to audio books purchased from Audible.com. My collection is quite large and poorly managed by Audible. My question is this: Can Calibre be adjusted to manage audible books? It would be a wonderful treat to have Calibre be able to do for audio books what it does for ebooks. Can this post be forwarded to Kovid? What do you think?
gkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's not something I am personally interested in, but if you can convince someone to do the work, I wont refuse the code.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2011, 01:19 AM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Certainly, I would like to have something like Calibre for Audible. Or, ideally, just have the Audible books show up as "yet another format" in Calibre. Since I often have both audible and ebook versions.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:50 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
The problem with audible books is that they often consist of more than 1 file. So, I finally simply created an extra column "Extra Format" in which I can put down what format audio book I own. Maybe I could create another column in which I put the location of the book too...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
gkc

That's a good idea. If I understand you, you are using Calibre as a database for audible titles only rather then the files. Is that right?
Advert
Old 07-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You would presumably also want to be able to edit the metadata of the MP3 (or whatever) files using Calibre's metadata editor.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:28 AM   #7
denysm
denysm doesn't litterdenysm doesn't litterdenysm doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
I keep track of audiobooks i my Calibre database by creating an empty book. I can save all the metadata in it, and it shows up next to the entry of the ebook, if there is one. It doesn't show the file type, but I know it's an audiobook if there is no file type, because I only create empty books for audiobooks.
denysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:29 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You would presumably also want to be able to edit the metadata of the MP3 (or whatever) files using Calibre's metadata editor.
Audible books aren't MP3-like, so n o metadata.

But the latest update (especially the "When creating a composite custom column, allow the use of HTML to create links and other markup that display in the Book details panel" part) will solve this problem nicely. Instead of putting all files of the book, you can just add that custom column that points to the location of the files
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:00 AM   #9
gkc

Thanks all for the input! I'm pretty sure I can put together what I want.