Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Slash Gear reviews the Sharper Image Literati

Well, this looks bad. Bleah.

http://www.slashgear.com/sharper-ima...-bad-06106163/
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:49 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Slash Gear didn't review the device, they just reposted Nate's conclusions. Why don't you just link to the original?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
My apologies, didn't realize there was a link there.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Isn't Sharper Image dead? Or did they just evolve to a non-B&M entity?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
they were bought by a company who has shed the B+M stores and concentrating on branded products. Sold at the Bed Bath and Beyond, Kohls etc
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #6
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
they were bought by a company who has shed the B+M stores and concentrating on branded products. Sold at the Bed Bath and Beyond, Kohls etc
Just to add, most companies that go out of business through bankruptcy have a shadow after life. The courts supervise the sale of all assets of the company to pay off creditors. The name of a company often can be sold... and is. Thus as a brand the name will often exist long after the company is gone.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #7
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The Literati may be terrible ... but isn’t the point of the Literati that it is an 800x 600 colour screen? So, what’s the colour like? How’s the battery length since, I presume, this is not e-ink? Does it have landscape mode for comics or using the SD card a viewer for camera pics?

Unfortunately, the reviewer didn't address these issues. Literati isn't trying to compete with an e-ink reader directly -- it brings these other aspects (colour). It would be nice to know how well those features work that make it different. We will have to wait for another review, unfortunately.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
MrHatandClogs
MrHatandClogs doesn't litterMrHatandClogs doesn't litter

Device: Literati
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
The Literati may be terrible ... but isn’t the point of the Literati that it is an 800x 600 colour screen? So, what’s the colour like? How’s the battery length since, I presume, this is not e-ink? Does it have landscape mode for comics or using the SD card a viewer for camera pics?

Unfortunately, the reviewer didn't address these issues. Literati isn't trying to compete with an e-ink reader directly -- it brings these other aspects (colour). It would be nice to know how well those features work that make it different. We will have to wait for another review, unfortunately.
The color/screen is beautiful. Very crisp, and non-pixelated. The battery is okay. If you turn off the wifi, you can read for a solid 5 to 6 hours. Wifi on, only about 2-3 hours. No not e-ink, it's an LCD screen. Yes it has landscape mode, you can only use it in the "Documents"(.pdf) viewer. Comics/etc. look beautiful in the landscape mode, but unfortunately the scrolling in the .pdf viewer is insanely slow. Seriously it takes like at least one full second to move over one frame. Yea...it's ridiculous. It makes reading .pdfs useless unless it's readable in full page view. I've talked with the Literati tech support, and they've said they are addressing the sluggishness of the .pdf viewer and are hoping to have it fixed by the next update.

Overall I really like the literati. It has it's cons, and out of the box isn't super easy to figure out(mainly because it still had the old firmware version, and for it to be functional it needs to be updated to the most recent. But, I'm told the ones in stores now are already updated). Reading books is great and a breeze. It has an awesome night reading mode, which inverts the black and white(black bg/white text), that is great for reading in the dark. The subscriptions to newspapers and magazines are awesome, and are a great way to utilize the color screen. (Though, there isn't much of a selection yet, but they are slowly adding new titles.) I have a subscription to "The New York Times", I just sync it every morning and there's the days issues. It's fantastic.

Imo, the Literati is the ebook reader for people who are simply trying to read books, newspapers, and magazines. It doesn't have a web browser/email, and is simplified for just reading. If they can get the .pdf reader running more smoothly, then it will also be ideal for comics as well.

Like I said, if you want an ebook reader simply because you want to read with the ability to read stuff with color, and don't care about all the extras, then the Literati is for you.
MrHatandClogs is offline   Reply With Quote