Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #31
JimPuchai
JimPuchai began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kobo have done the hard yards with this major upgrade. It is not perfect, but the groundwork has been done to have anther tweak or two to get things a little more flexible for those who want sleep-mode convenience over those who prefer maximum operation from one charge.

Give it a month and I am reasonably sure that Kobo can settle this and make everyone happy.
JimPuchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:37 PM   #32
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleochroic View Post
[...] than lose my place in the book i was last reading (sleep doesn't do that, but the forced shutdown does)
For real? I haven't done the firmware upgrade yet (I'm still waiting fo the Australian/Borders firmware update). But I currently power down/up my Kobo every day, and I have never lost my place in a book. Yes, I have to re-open the book, but I don't lose my bookmark.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:34 AM   #33
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial View Post
For real? I haven't done the firmware upgrade yet (I'm still waiting fo the Australian/Borders firmware update). But I currently power down/up my Kobo every day, and I have never lost my place in a book. Yes, I have to re-open the book, but I don't lose my bookmark.
My Kobo has shut-down at least 20 times since the update, and not once have I lost my page. I am however, really getting sick and tired of having to turn my reader on over, and over, and over, and over again...
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:40 AM   #34
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial View Post
What about be forced shut it down 3 times a day?
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #35
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I like the new shutdown feature. If I'm interrupted reading I can lightly push the power switch and it will sleep. If I fail to return it will shut down for me. If I return within 15 minutes it will power up quickly.. If I know I'm through reading for the evening and hold the power switch 2 seconds, it will power off. What is wrong with this? I find it a very efficient system.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #36
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
I like the new shutdown feature. If I'm interrupted reading I can lightly push the power switch and it will sleep. If I fail to return it will shut down for me. If I return within 15 minutes it will power up quickly.. If I know I'm through reading for the evening and hold the power switch 2 seconds, it will power off. What is wrong with this? I find it a very efficient system.
Why do you have to put it in sleep if you know you'll return in 15 minutes?
What about this scenario:
I started reading during my breakfast, then go out to take bus and continue reading on the bus; read the book on the bus way back home at afternoon; read the book before supper when I get home, continue reading after supper; after waching TV in the evening, continue reading on bed. how many times should I start it up???

don't tell me I have to rush to the bus station and have to make sure I can be on the bus within 15 minutes;
don't tell me I have to finish my supper in 15 minutes;
don't tell me I can only enjoy my TV for 15 minutes.

Last edited by fred_yu_job; 07-06-2010 at 11:58 AM.
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:25 PM   #37
davidkettle
Enthusiast
davidkettle began at the beginning.

I can understand why some people would like the auto-sleep and auto-powerdown, and other people wouldn't. But is that the only problem (if it is a problem) that people have found with the firmware upgrade? I haven't upgraded yet, and if that's the only drawback, I'll probably try it. On the whole, it probably fixes more problems than it introduces.
davidkettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #38
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
How fast is the bus travelling?

(grin)

Sounds like an old mathematics problem ....
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:51 PM   #39
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
I don't like the automatic shut-off either. I think it consumes much more when you turn it on that what's saved by automatic shutting it down.
However I won't call anyone stupid, I won't offend any one. It's still one of my best expenses out there and I love the fact that Kobo reps and developers are listening to me.

I will simply ask them to improve this in the next firmware release. Give us a setting to set up how do we handle this situation: sleep time (5,10,15..., never) and auto off time (5,10,15..., never) and I am happy.

However I would totally "remove" the off feature (unless you keep the off button pressed for 10 seconds) and improve the Sleep feature. Put it to sleep not by a single light press of the off button, but after a second. Same for waking up.
This would still mean that the device consumes a little when in sleep mode, but everyone knows that a device "sleeping" is not really off and we can deal with the battery. It still will last a week!

This way we can:

1) When ON -> press the on/off button for 1 second -> sleep
2) When ASLEEP -> press the on/off button for 1 second -> awake
3) When ON/ASLEEP -> press the on/off button for 10 seconds -> off
4) When OFF, same as now.
5) When ON -> user selectable sleep timeout expires -> sleep
6) When ON/ASLEEP -> user selectable off timeout expires -> off
7) When ON, if battery is lower than 10% -> go to sleep
8) When ON/SLEEP, if battery is lower than 5% -> go off

In SLEEP mode: do not react to the buttons (except for the on/off one)
In SLEEP mode: show user selectable screen (sleep screen / volume cover)
In OFF mode: show user selectable screen (off screen / volume cover)

This way it can be sold with recommended settings (as we have it now), but users can change it. I don't care if it lasts 1 week less if I leave it in sleep mode as long as it lasts at least a week or so.
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #40
marleyfan
marleyfan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, htc hero, comfy chair
First post here. I have ordered my Kobo and expect to get it within the next few days so I cannot comment on whether or not the new sleep/off feature will bother me. I do like Anidel's suggested feature set. One change I would make though is change the suggested 10 second button hold to 3 or 4 seconds. I can't see myself having to hold a button for 10 seconds for any feature short of factory reset.
marleyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #41
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleyfan View Post
First post here. I have ordered my Kobo and expect to get it within the next few days so I cannot comment on whether or not the new sleep/off feature will bother me. I do like Anidel's suggested feature set. One change I would make though is change the suggested 10 second button hold to 3 or 4 seconds. I can't see myself having to hold a button for 10 seconds for any feature short of factory reset.
My sentiments exactly.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #42
tpl
tpl began at the beginning.

Not impressed by "sleep" mode. Put my Kobo into sleep mode and went to sleep... following evening pressed button to come out of sleep mode and the battery was drained.
I'll stay with a full power off I think. I don't have a USB port close to where I use the Kobo.
tpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #43
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpl View Post
Not impressed by "sleep" mode. Put my Kobo into sleep mode and went to sleep... following evening pressed button to come out of sleep mode and the battery was drained.
I'll stay with a full power off I think. I don't have a USB port close to where I use the Kobo.
How did you manage to do that? It won't stay in sleep mode for more than 15 minutes, so it must have been completely off by the following evening.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #44
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader
I found that the first time it went into sleep mode by itself something failed and drained my power - it never made it to power-off mode. It only did that the first time and since then I've not had any issues with sleep/power off (other than the common issue of: "when I put it into sleep it should STAY in sleep" ) I don't think the firmware upgrade has made a difference for my battery life. It's ok, but I'm still not seeing anything like 8000 pages either. I've read about 500 page turns and my battery shows a bit over half.
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #45
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid View Post
I found that the first time it went into sleep mode by itself something failed and drained my power - it never made it to power-off mode.
I have also experienced this and it has only happened once so far.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote