Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
Fmstrat
G:RSS-Web Creator
Fmstrat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, PW, Nexus 4,10
Arrow Can't Login: Server Message Too Long For Kindle Touch

Hi,

Found a problem with using Calibre Server with the Kindle Touch. The server message displayed by Calibre is:

"Password to access your calibre library. Username is books"

The username field is highlighted, and the Kindle Touch keyboard is active. Unfortunately, there is no "tab" key on the Kindle Touch, and the server message is so long it pushes the Password field down the page underneath the keyboard, and there is no way to navigate to the password field. Therefore, you can't login to Calibre Server when a password is required using the Kindle Touch.

Suggestion: Shorten the Calibre Server's server message while also making it more secure by not displaying the username to something like: "Access your Calibre library."

Thanks!
Ben
Fmstrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
Fmstrat

I should also note the font size on the Kindle Touch is very large. So much so that the buttons overlap areas of text.

Happy to test if you plan on making any changes for either of these.

Thanks again!
Ben
Old 12-27-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hiding the username does not improve security, usernames are transmitted as plaintext and so are trivially intercepted. Surely the Touch has some way of reducing the font size in the browser, use it and both your problems should go away, since the calibre server does not set font sizes at all (only relative sizes), it leaves that up to the browser to decide.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 12-28-2011 at 12:03 AM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:12 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just in case Amazon has left out the ability to set font sizes, I have shortened the message so it should fit, I dont reallys ee what I can do about font sizes on the web page itself, since as I said, the server does not actually specify absolute font sizes.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
Fmstrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Just in case Amazon has left out the ability to set font sizes, I have shortened the message so it should fit, I dont reallys ee what I can do about font sizes on the web page itself, since as I said, the server does not actually specify absolute font sizes.
Great, thanks! Unfortunately the Kindle touch only "zooms" in web mode. To change font size while reading you pinch out or in, but doing it in the browser just zooms the materials.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 03-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
Fmstrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Well, finally got around to trying this again. No luck. Running calibre-server.exe on the latest version in Windows. There is no way to scroll or zoom to get the password field to display. It does not appear that the message was shortened.. Could this have to do with running the server independent? (see attached image)

Thanks!
Ben
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000003.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	790.0 KB
ID:	83508  
Old 03-06-2012, 12:39 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If you look at your own first post you will see that the message has indeed been shortened.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
Fmstrat

Ahh, so it has. It's not my touch so I don't get to see the problem that often. In any event, the password field is still out of reach.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 03-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Well I cannot shorten the message anymore without compromising usability. Try hittin return (enter) after typing the username tat should autofocus ghe password field.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
Fmstrat

Unfortunately that just tries to submit the form, and there is no tab button. To get around it for now I'm going to use IIS to proxy through, and password protect IIS (I actually wonder if this will work for Android devices, too). A shame amazon didn't allow you to scroll on these screens.

Thanks,
Ben