Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 04:37 AM   #1
Sin Jeong-hun
Sin Jeong-hun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Sharing news feeds among users.

I have subscribed about 15 news in Calibre. When I start Calibre, downloading of the news begins. But this takes a lot of time and my CPU usage is almost 100%. Come to think of that, there are lot of (maybe hundreds of thousands) Calibre users who are downloading the same news and processing the same data for their Kindles, everyday.

I think this is also bad for the servers (the RSS servers), because it will suck their bandwidth and server resources. What if Calibre lets users share already downloaded news among users? Then there would be no need to download the data from servers or to process the data again. Of course I am not talking about illegal sharing of copyrighted e-books but only the news.
Sin Jeong-hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:26 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Well, you could always setup a public server running Calibre and the server daemon. Then interested parties could just download their news from there. Of course, that only changes the bandwidth problem to the Calibre server... Also, that only really starts to make sense once integration of remote libraries, which I once heard is somewhere on the roadmap, gets implemented.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That would be a copyright violation
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That would be a copyright violation
Ouch, I didn't think of that. Yes, you're right, it would be.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote