Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 04:40 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I'm going to guess you have not read a lot of AMericanLiterature from the Civil War until ohhhh about 1960
Mark Twain was the first American author to make any real attempt to reproduce American dialects in fiction. It really hadn't been done prior to that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:48 AM   #32
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I only use contractions in a "conversational" post. When i want my meaning really clear, I will use the full words.

Plus, we don't (except for that one, I hardly ever use "not") have that many contractions in Dutch and I find it ugly, usually.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:41 AM   #33
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I'm going to guess you have not read a lot of AMericanLiterature from the Civil War until ohhhh about 1960
Other than Henry James, F. Scott Fitzgerald, William Faulkner, Ernest Hemingway, Saul Bellow, Upton Sinclair, John Steinbeck, Pearl S. Buck, Willa Cather, John Dos Passos and the like, that would be a good guess. But in my limited sample I don't see a lot of mimetic transcription of speech.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #34
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
I would agree with those that say that grammatically it is poor form to use contractions when writing formally ie: narrative, but acceptable when writing speech.

Personally I would not like to read an author who used contractions as part of their narrative, mind you I also hate slang talk and text speak and am noticing more and more the inability of younger people in London to form a sensible sentence.

I am a right old fuddie duddie!
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:13 PM   #35
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
It's because there's a shortage of apostrophes ....
well who took 'em!? get 'em back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Other than Henry James, F. Scott Fitzgerald, William Faulkner, Ernest Hemingway, Saul Bellow, Upton Sinclair, John Steinbeck, Pearl S. Buck, Willa Cather, John Dos Passos and the like, that would be a good guess. But in my limited sample I don't see a lot of mimetic transcription of speech.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captkjaneway View Post
I would agree with those that say that grammatically it is poor form to use contractions when writing formally ie: narrative, but acceptable when writing speech.

Personally I would not like to read an author who used contractions as part of their narrative, mind you I also hate slang talk and text speak and am noticing more and more the inability of younger people in London to form a sensible sentence.

I am a right old fuddie duddie!
I'm going to have to dig up some authors that I found pretty much unreadable due to the dialogue
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:21 PM   #36
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
I' Shakespeare even, 'tis common to find contractions. Oft-found they have e'er been, no? Where is the evidence that they are uncommon?
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #37
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
In the book(s) The E. E. 'Doc' Smith Omnibus that I'm reading. And please, don't tell anyone else about the kind of cheap pulp SciFi that I'm reading.

It does have some contractions in the dialogs, but not all that much. I've found the same thing with some of the older (1930 - 1950/60) fiction that I've read.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:07 PM   #38
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
In the book(s) The E. E. 'Doc' Smith Omnibus that I'm reading. And please, don't tell anyone else about the kind of cheap pulp SciFi that I'm reading.

It does have some contractions in the dialogs, but not all that much. I've found the same thing with some of the older (1930 - 1950/60) fiction that I've read.
what do you mean cheap pulp, man. The Lesman's series is the absolute masterpiece of SF ever written in the two Galaxies.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:17 PM   #39
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Two of the Skylark books are public domain and available at Project Gutenberg.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
I' Shakespeare even, 'tis common to find contractions. Oft-found they have e'er been, no? Where is the evidence that they are uncommon?
That's largely, though, to make the words fit the metre of the blank verse that most of Shakespeare's plays are written in. (eg "e'er" is one syllable compared to two syllables for "ever"). If you look at examples of prose in Shakespeare, as opposed to poetry, contractions are much less common.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #41
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Two of the Skylark books are public domain and available at Project Gutenberg.
Actualy when I got it from Fictionwise (or elsewhere ?) it was $0.00.

And didn't I ask you not to spread it around, Ben? Now everyone will know.

Last edited by SameOldStory; 08-23-2010 at 02:33 PM.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #42
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's largely, though, to make the words fit the metre of the blank verse that most of Shakespeare's plays are written in. (eg "e'er" is one syllable compared to two syllables for "ever"). If you look at examples of prose in Shakespeare, as opposed to poetry, contractions are much less common.
OK, Dickens - your favourite - looking at David Copperfield, we have "don't" "couldn't" "there's" "what's" "it's" &c &c &c

I'm still not convinced that there is good evidence that the implicit assertion is true.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
OK, Dickens - your favourite - looking at David Copperfield, we have "don't" "couldn't" "there's" "what's" "it's" &c &c &c
Absolutely. Contractions were well and truly there by the later 19th century, when Dickens wrote. But look at Austen, who was writing about 80 or so years earlier - much less common there.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #44
Ben Thornton
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Absolutely. Contractions were well and truly there by the later 19th century, when Dickens wrote. But look at Austen, who was writing about 80 or so years earlier - much less common there.
Sure, but the OP was about more recent works, I thought. Where is the evidence that contractions are generally lacking?

Looking at Pride and Prejudice, you're right that contractions are rare (but "se'ennight" was new to me). Not all authors of that time are the same.

These things follow fashions, and evolve. I remember reading in Lewis Carroll, things like sha'n't - which you don't see today.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:25 AM   #45
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Sure, but the OP was about more recent works, I thought. Where is the evidence that contractions are generally lacking?

Looking at Pride and Prejudice, you're right that contractions are rare (but "se'ennight" was new to me). Not all authors of that time are the same.

These things follow fashions, and evolve. I remember reading in Lewis Carroll, things like sha'n't - which you don't see today.
often ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote