Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2016, 08:49 PM   #1
Katie1985
Katie1985 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Brand New GLo HD glitching

Hi - I purchased a Glo HD last Thursday brought it home and charged it. Read about ten hours total and the battery was dead this morning. Box says it should last two months. I have a sleep case, and do not power it off. What gives? When I went to use it it was also frozen in sleep mode - said nothing about the battery until I plugged it into the computer. Am I missing something here or should I be returning it. I'm pretty disappointed in it because of this.
Katie1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:57 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Did you have wi-fi turned off the whole time since you charged it? Also check that automatic sync is turned off.

The battery life estimates are based on the assumption that wi-fi is off. A few minutes using wi-fi can use more battery than hours of reading.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2016, 09:03 PM   #3
Katie1985

No - I don't think its been turned off. I set it up and synced it to my laptop and then just started reading. I did go onto the bookstore once in there through it also so perhaps I should charge and try that first do you think? I appreciate your response! I'm terrible with these devices!
Old 02-09-2016, 09:04 PM   #4
Katie1985

And will it try to sync automatically even if its not connected to a computer?
Old 02-09-2016, 09:10 PM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1985 View Post
And will it try to sync automatically even if its not connected to a computer?
Yes, even if you have wi-fi turned off, if automatic sync is enabled it will turn wi-fi back on and try to sync at some point.
Advert
Old 02-09-2016, 09:16 PM   #6
Katie1985

Ok - I'm going to try these tips for the next week after it is charged and see if that helps. Is it normal for that stuff to need turning off in these devices?
Old 02-09-2016, 09:19 PM   #7
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
How long did you charge it? Was it at a full charge when you started reading?

If you enabled wifi and had automatic sync on then yes it will try to sync even when it's not plugged in.

Was the frontlight turned on and up? I've not noticed my H2O draining quickly with the frontlight on, but I keep it around 20%, I imagine if it was turned way up things may be different.

What I would suggest is the following

1) disable wifi, just tap the wifi logo in the top right corner and that should bring a pop up, up with a toggle for wifi. Set it to off.

2) Tap the light option at the top right, it looks like a sun, make sure it's not turned way up. You can also turn it off if you don't want to use it, however I find that 20% whitens the screen to a more enjoyable level when I read in well lit areas, and is bright enough in dark areas that I can read without issue. Everyones eyes are different, there are some folks on these forums who want a half percent option for the light. So you may need to tweak this to your liking.

3) Charge your Glo HD fully. It should take around 3 hours give or take to go from 0 to full. Don't use the time as a hard measure, but rather a guide to when to check on your Glo HD.

Keep in mind that any action that requires wifi will prompt you to turn it on, but will not disable it once you've finished what you're doing. And leaving wifi on when you aren't in wifi, specifically within range of one you've connected to, is a big battery drain.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:23 PM   #8
Katie1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
How long did you charge it? Was it at a full charge when you started reading?

If you enabled wifi and had automatic sync on then yes it will try to sync even when it's not plugged in.

Was the frontlight turned on and up? I've not noticed my H2O draining quickly with the frontlight on, but I keep it around 20%, I imagine if it was turned way up things may be different.

What I would suggest is the following

1) disable wifi, just tap the wifi logo in the top right corner and that should bring a pop up, up with a toggle for wifi. Set it to off.

2) Tap the light option at the top right, it looks like a sun, make sure it's not turned way up. You can also turn it off if you don't want to use it, however I find that 20% whitens the screen to a more enjoyable level when I read in well lit areas, and is bright enough in dark areas that I can read without issue. Everyones eyes are different, there are some folks on these forums who want a half percent option for the light. So you may need to tweak this to your liking.

3) Charge your Glo HD fully. It should take around 3 hours give or take to go from 0 to full. Don't use the time as a hard measure, but rather a guide to when to check on your Glo HD.

Keep in mind that any action that requires wifi will prompt you to turn it on, but will not disable it once you've finished what you're doing. And leaving wifi on when you aren't in wifi, specifically within range of one you've connected to, is a big battery drain.
Thanks! I will try all this - it was charged fully the first read and my lighting is usually on the lower side. I'm usually reading at home where there is wifi so hopefully that is my issue! Appreciate all this great advice!
Old 02-09-2016, 09:24 PM   #9
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1985 View Post
Ok - I'm going to try these tips for the next week after it is charged and see if that helps. Is it normal for that stuff to need turning off in these devices?
Its been a long time since I set mine up, but I think it is normal for wi-fi to be turned on and automatic sync to be enabled by default after first setting up the device.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:17 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
A comment on the claimed battery life and use:

Kobo claim 60 days. But, that is at 30 minutes per day. Hence, about 30 hours continuous use.

So, 10 hours reading as about a third of the claimed battery life. Which is not great. But, it isn't uncommon for new devices to show shorter battery life. The battery gauge needs to be calibrated. Plus, the initial usage will probably use more power as you experiment. Each page turn uses power, scrolling through the library uses power, adding a lot of new books uses power.

For the configuration, the device defaults to everything on. But, the auto sync will only happen if you have configured the WiFi connection. If you haven't, it might wake to do it, but it won't do anything. And it won't prompt you to turn it on. The firmware is good in this way. If you do something that needs WiFi (start a sync, access the shop or browser) then it will prompt you to turn on WiFi and configure the connection. If a background task needs access (mainly the automatic sync), it will try, and if WiFi is off, or it can't connect to a known network, then it doesn't do anything.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote