Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
itsreLLy
itsreLLy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Question Book Cover Size Issues

Just got my Kobo Glo yesterday and so far I'm loving it! I'm familiar with Calibre from using the Kobo app on my Android previously, however I'm still having an issue with book covers. They all show up, and the ones that don't I download and add a new cover in Calibre with no problems. However, no matter what size the cover is, some of them just don't fill the whole square of the book. I know it's really OCD of me, but I just want them all to look the same and fill the whole square. Is there a magical dimension that does this?
itsreLLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreLLy View Post
Just got my Kobo Glo yesterday and so far I'm loving it! I'm familiar with Calibre from using the Kobo app on my Android previously, however I'm still having an issue with book covers. They all show up, and the ones that don't I download and add a new cover in Calibre with no problems. However, no matter what size the cover is, some of them just don't fill the whole square of the book. I know it's really OCD of me, but I just want them all to look the same and fill the whole square. Is there a magical dimension that does this?
3 x 4 is the key number. 510x600, 600x800, 768x1024 all work well, Just make sure the margins for the first page of the ebook are set to 0 as well.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Perhaps you need to look at your calibre Kobo driver customisation, Prefs - Plugins - Device Interface - Kobo Touch - Customize.

If you check the box Upload covers for books then every time you Send-to-device some books calibre will also create/send all the necessary correctly-sized thumbnails (3 per book) rather than allowing the Kobo to create its own by extraction from page 1 of the book.

This 'fills in' all thumbnail holes perfectly on my Kobo Glo (still running fw 2.1.5) in all places -- library, Home screen, sleep screen.

Caveat : can't say whether fw 2.3.1 is still working correctly.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
itsreLLy

Great! Thanks for the tips! I will try these solutions today
Old 12-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
itsreLLy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Perhaps you need to look at your calibre Kobo driver customisation, Prefs - Plugins - Device Interface - Kobo Touch - Customize.

If you check the box Upload covers for books then every time you Send-to-device some books calibre will also create/send all the necessary correctly-sized thumbnails (3 per book) rather than allowing the Kobo to create its own by extraction from page 1 of the book.

This 'fills in' all thumbnail holes perfectly on my Kobo Glo (still running fw 2.1.5) in all places -- library, Home screen, sleep screen.

Caveat : can't say whether fw 2.3.1 is still working correctly.
You're a genius. Thank you!!!
Advert
Old 12-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
The cover image actually doesn't even have to be the correct aspect ratio, either.
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
You're a genius. Thank you!!!
You're welcome but it's davidfor who's the genius, he created the calibre Kobo driver.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
clarkent
clarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
Gonna say thanks, as well. I've had this problem ever since the first kobo. :P
clarkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
You're welcome but it's davidfor who's the genius, he created the calibre Kobo driver.
Kovid's the one who set-up the architecture to support the devices and Tim Legge wrote the original driver. I just pulled it apart and put it back in a different pattern. But, I have no problem with being called a genius. My wife could use a good laugh
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book cover, cover size, display images, kobo glo