Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-02-2012, 12:10 AM   #1
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Talking [In-Dev] K-SAK: permanent jailbreak, unbricker, & more

(that's Kindle-Swiss Army Knife, I literally just made it up as I'm typing this, so name change is flexible. Feel free to suggest a better name) (also, add to the title: for Kindle Touch & Kindle 4 only)

I wanted to keep this a secret until the next kindle comes out (rumors are that a backlighted kindle touch is coming in july) but after skimming through many of the bolded threads, I've found that you guys already know about the power of usb download mode but are just scratching the surface of what it can do. Using it to just load u-boot to run fastboot seems like an insult to a feature that allows R/W of all the programmable registers on the device + ability to execute ANY code. So if amazon removes it or enables HAB in the next device, they would already do so.

I usually hate "teaser" threads that talk about something but doesn't deliver any goods, so please hang with me here. I'm posting this only so potential developers can collaborate with me. More details later on. (and there are some goods)

How this came about:
Before I took (what I thought was) a short absence, I discovered mfgtools, usb downloader, and how to run custom u-boots. I made some comments in the IRC and didn't think much about them. I had an idea of something like what I'm making right now, but I didn't have the time to do it. A three weeks ago, I finally got some free time so I explored this stuff again. The first thing I did was read the giant 2000+ page manual (mostly skim, read the important stuff) on the iMX50 chipset from freescale (it's on their site). Got used to the boot process, how stuff are programmed, and so on. Then I got the mfgtools source and figured out how that worked. Then, I wrote a multi-platform library that interacts with the usb download device based on hidapi (https://github.com/yifanlu/LibiMX50USB). Finally, I read the u-boot source and figured out the boot initialization, and duplicated it using DCD commands. (You can find that here: https://github.com/yifanlu/LibiMX50U...MXUSB/imxusb.c under imx50_kindle_init(), it's pretty cool, it literally does the low level initialization for the device over usb and allows access to all 256MB of the RAM for use BEFORE bootup).

What I have done:
To summarize what I said above, we can 1) take complete control of the device BEFORE the bootloader, aka unpatchable. 2) read/write to all 256MB of the ram, allowing us to upload custom kernels and initramfs/initrd. 3) this means a) jailbreak, and b) unbricking.

The goal:
Now, I've skimmed though threads like "Simple debricking" and my own readme for the jailbreak process, and they are all extremely hard to do. Having to download random files, perform complex terminal commands and so on. Too hard to do and makes the kindle platform something that the very tech un-savvy users (there are MANY in the kindle community) can't get into. My goal is to provide a Windows/Mac/Linux tool that first shows the user through images how to get the device into usb download mode and then one button to jailbreak and one button to "restore to factory".

What I need:
So now that you have an idea of what I did and what I want to do, the main thing I would like help with is the jailbreak/recovery image itself. I'm thinking it should be either an initramfs or initrd (doesn't matter) image that we flash into memory in usb download mode. I already have a custom kernel that can load it. This image has to 1) be extremely small, aka busybox linux + tools, 2) prompt commands and such on the screen, allowing input from device, and 3) perform actions. I already have a bash script that does screen writing and option reading, but a C program or something would be cooler (I didn't write a native app because I thought it would be harder to do stuff like mount over USB through C code). Currently, I have a very stripped down version of the diags partition with most of the stuff removed only leaving busybox and some device tools along with my custom script. I hope this will work, I can PM you the image and you can add to it.

I hope that by posting this publicly, I would be more motivated to code quickly and release quickly. Maybe before the next kindle comes out. :P

Last edited by yifanlu; 07-02-2012 at 12:21 AM.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm saving this space for updates. Right now, I guess I'll address the elephant in the room and talk about where I went. I don't know if anyone noticed but I haven't paid attention to kindles for months (since I believe that community is flourishing, I'm very amazed at ixtab's java replacer, I wanted to do something like that forever, and it's always nice to see someone else doing the work ). I left at the beginning of the year because this got to be a bit too stressful. I started as a hobby, but as I developed more and more stuff, this became almost like a day-job. I had users to support, bugs to fix, bicker with people, and so on. Plus, I have a life outside of kindle stuff that also created many stressful events. Plus, kindle got to be boring, I mean I've basically explored every bit of the device, and there are other, new devices that I haven't touched. But now, finals are over, and I have nothing to do, and so long without touching a kindle and it feels new again. Not promising I'll be very active, but this one thing is something I want to make.

Last edited by yifanlu; 07-02-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Advert
Old 07-02-2012, 12:18 AM   #3
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Hey, welcome again !!!
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Welcome back! I want to get involved in this when I get back to the states. I can help with the eink I/O. Or you can borrow some of JoppyFur's code.

Also, check out the recent progress on hawhill's Advanced Toolkit thread. At this point, the K3 USB Downloader mode "debricking" process is a lot more advanced than K4/K5 debricking (which has not seen progress since it was posted, because it worked okay and we have other things to do).

Looking forward to that "One Button Click" debricking you promised us in your post that provided the first push to get the "fastboot manifesto / select boot / simple debricking" series of threads going. I *wanted* to go further than just pushing custom uboots to it, but like you, I have other interests and other time-demanding things in my life.

Glad to see you back, and looking forward to more great things from you!.

P.S. To see what we can do with eink animation, check out the "geekmaster kindle video player" thread and watch some videos.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #5
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Thanks! I wanted to make this before I left because the biggest problem with "kindle hacking" is that not enough people join because "it's difficult". You and I know that is not true, but for some people, copying files and reading giant readmes are difficult. The iphone hacking boomed partly due to one click tools, and I hope kindles will be the same. I mean, more users will make developing more fruitful. (And I plan on writing some Touch apps and plugins (like epub) soon with the KDK after I'm done with this).

Plus, it's pretty damn cool to take over a device before startup

Last edited by yifanlu; 07-02-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Advert
Old 07-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #6
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Ok, just skimmed the iMX35 reference manual and ATK source code. Apparently, the K3's usb download mode contains the same functionally (read/write registers, load to memory, etc) so once the tool is done, I can port it to the kindle 3. Now the interesting part is that the dump/flash NAND command is undocumented in the reference manual, which begs the question of whether it works on the K4/5 too. (EDIT: most likely not because the iMX35 is more in tune with on board flash while k4/5 must do some more setting up)
Old 07-02-2012, 01:00 AM   #7
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Thanks! ...
You are welcome!

I wanted to do a "one button click" someday (like you announce awhile back before you took a sabbatical from here), but I got more interested in seeing how fast I could push the eink. My video player does perceptually smooth animation even on a K3 (amazingly, at only 7FPS, due to it not being a light-emitting display). That, and I have spent the VAST majority of my time answering posts and helping noobs. After frustration with people who cannot RTFM because it was too deeply buried, I started the Kindle Master Index sticky, to help noobs and devs alike, and silver18 summarized the "simple debricking method" into a PDF file ("small debricking guide for noobs"), which is in the Tools index. The topical Indexes to this forum are wikis (so anybody can add to them), and they have taken on a "life of their own" now (after a bit of coaxing and pleading on my part), mostly due to knc1 giving them some "style". Hopefully the indexes will save us from having to answer the same old worn-out questions over and over and over...

It may seem strange, but I also want animation and video games that can be loaded and run from USB Downloader mode, for those who do not want to modify their kindle in any way.

I am looking forward to becoming an active member of your project.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-02-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:03 AM   #8
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I wanted to do a "one button click" someday (like you announce awhile back before you took a sabbatical from here), but I got more interested in seeing how fast I could push the eink. My video player does perceptually smooth animation even on a K3 (amazingly, at only 7FPS, due to it not being a light-emitting display). That, and I have spent the VAST majority of my time answering posts and helping noobs. After frustration with people who cannot RTFM because it was too deeply buried, I started the Kindle Master Index sticky, to help noobs and devs alike, and silver18 summarized the "simple debricking methos" into a PDF file (small debricking guide for noobs", which is in the Tools index. The topical Indexes to this forum are wikis (so anybody can add to them), and they have taken on a "life of their own" now (after a bit of coaxing and pleading on my part), mostly due to kcn1 giving them some "style". Hopefully the indexes will save us from having to answer the same old worn-out questions over and over and over...

It may seem strange, but I also want animation and video games that can be loaded and run from USB Downloader mode, for those who do not want to modify their kindle in any way.

I am looking forward to becoming an active member of your project.
Yes, another thing I want to do (after v1 of this tool) is allow custom "packages" to be uploaded to the device. First release, will just be two packages, one for jailbreaking the device, and one for recovering. These will literally be just initrd images. Eventually, anyone can put their own initrd images containing any linux stuff they want.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:07 AM   #9
geekmaster

Even how primitive the "simple debricking" method is, there have literally been thousands of downloads of the tools and "forensic" images. And you can see from the "Success Reports" list in the first post that a lot of people said that they registered at MR just to say "Thanks" for helping them bring their kindle back from the dead. Regarding complexity, read silver18's "simple debricking" PDF file, which makes this process a bit simpler.

You may find amusement by reading one of the first debricking sessions done over IRC, shortly after you helped me debrick my K4. It is posted in the dasmoover success report in the simple debricking "success report" list.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-02-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:12 AM   #10
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Cool. Thanks!

I've also wanted to do this (library for USB downloader mode through hidapi). Could you also add support of fastboot protocol to your tool?

And... GPL3 license for library? Really? It can limit your userbase (I mean, number of developers which will use your library). Could you please re-license (or double license) it to BSD or MIT?
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:11 AM   #11
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
And... GPL3 license for library? Really? It can limit your userbase (I mean, number of developers which will use your library). Could you please re-license (or double license) it to BSD or MIT?
A lot of developers are not even allowed to DOWNLOAD GPL-infected files. In some cases, it can be grounds for termination of employment. Open source that cannot be used on the job is not very "open". The only legal way to mix GPL programs with closed source commercial apps is via STDOUT/STDIN piping, and that can be very difficult due to unflushed buffer contents stuck in the GPL program. I do use LGPL in commercial apps, but you can only do dynamic linking, which means you cannot use it in small embedded devices. A lot of GPL and LGPL projects (like SDL for example) have been migrating AWAY from GPL so that they can be used in commercial embedded devices.

Sometimes it has taken a LOT of searching to find a non-GPL solution that I could borrow for non-trivial functions. Much too often, I have had to go all the way back to the original research papers (some as old as 1954 in one case), and write my code from scratch based on those papers. All when there were nice GPL implementations that I could not use just because they were GPL. BSD or MIT would have saved me a HUGE amount of hours to reinvent that code in a way that I could use in my project.

SUMMARY: Please discard that GPL license and convert it to friendly MIT or BSD.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-02-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #12
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Please let me suggest to create a new thread for the viral vs. non-viral license dispute :-) I think we all know how these discussion are determined to never end...

And back to topic: I have a bit of C code here using libusb(x) for talking to the K3's USB loader (ROM kernel part is implemented, RAM kernel part is not). I'll publish it when I'm back home, it could be also starting grounds at least for the K3. The K3 does not use USB HID as wrapper but uses a proprietary USB protocol (basically just serial I/O over two USB bulk transfer endpoints).

I agree that a one-stop unbricking tool would be really, really nice. However, let's see where this is heading. Maybe we will get something like Android's "custom ROM" culture. I'm not sure if I would like that, however. It's a bit messy to deal with tens and hundreds of more-or-less broken device images...
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:12 AM   #13
geekmaster

@hawhill: Looking forward to your C code when I get back too.

I agree that license discussions can be never-ending religious wars. I just wish I could spend a LOT less time looking for alternatives to the GPL. A lot of the really good stuff is GPL, which prevents me from borrowing significant code snippets from it. GPL is fine until you get a job that does not allow it (even in your spare time).

I like the idea of combining all the eink kindles into a "one button solution" -- you can read the kindle model and other info from the USB port, and decide then which USB protocol to use.

I really wish we could figure out the "magic key" for the DX and DXG (or if there even is one). Any ideas if they use Advanced Toolkit too?

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-02-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
@hawhill: Looking forward to your C code when I get back too.

I agree that license discussions can be never-ending religious wars. I just wish I could spend a LOT less time looking for alternatives to the GPL. A lot of the really good stuff is GPL, which prevents me from borrowing significant code snippets from it. GPL is fine until you get a job that does not allow it (even in your spare time).

I like the idea of combining all the eink kindles into a "one button solution" -- you can read the kindle model and other info from the USB port, and decide then which USB protocol to use.

I really wish we could figure out the "magic key" for the DX and DXG (or if there even is one). Any ideas if they use Advanced Toolkit too?
Aren't they i.MX31 like the K1 (and maybe the K2) rather than i.MX35?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #15
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Aren't they i.MX31 like the K1 (and maybe the K2) rather than i.MX35?
The K3 is i.Mx35, as I recall...

I am curious how your quote relates to your comment. ???