Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 09-03-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
OpenInkpot and page turn speed on V5

Question for the OpenInkpot users. Over in the Astak forum, Egbert has noted the speed of the PocketPro (the 5-inch Hanlin) page turns.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55521

He notes that it takes about two seconds to turn the page. However, if he turns two pages in a row the second page is much quicker. Maybe its related to putting the processor to sleep?? Didn't I read that the Hanlin battery power is supposed to be the best?

Anyway, may question is in regard to page turns with the OpenInkpot firmware. I thought I'd heard about using it on the V5. Is this true? Are the page turns slow with OI?

Thanks,
MLH
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:54 PM   #2
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
> Maybe its related to putting the processor to sleep??

Probably. This can be observed on V3 and N516 with OI too.

> I thought I'd heard about using it on the V5.

http://openinkpot.org/wiki/Hardware
dottedmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #3
Mneme
Serial Procrastinator
Mneme has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mneme has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mneme has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mneme has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Asus MyPal A636, Hanlin V5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
<snip>....</snip>

Are there any plans to develop OpenInkpot firmware for the V5 in the near future?
Mneme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
> Maybe its related to putting the processor to sleep??

Probably. This can be observed on V3 and N516 with OI too.

Yep, thanks. Usually I research first and then post. This time I got them out of order . I found the hardware post just after I left my post.

Thanks for pointing it out to me, though.
MLH
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:23 AM   #5
allen
allen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Question for the OpenInkpot users. Over in the Astak forum, Egbert has noted the speed of the PocketPro (the 5-inch Hanlin) page turns.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55521

He notes that it takes about two seconds to turn the page. However, if he turns two pages in a row the second page is much quicker. Maybe its related to putting the processor to sleep?? Didn't I read that the Hanlin battery power is supposed to be the best?

Thanks,
MLH
Hi,what's kind of fomat do you use when you read book?
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2009, 04:21 AM   #6
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
He notes that it takes about two seconds to turn the page. However, if he turns two pages in a row the second page is much quicker. Maybe its related to putting the processor to sleep??
The ARM9 processor clock speed of the Hanlin V5 is twice as fast as the Hanlin V3, so that would make processor intensive tasks much faster. Of course, a faster processor clock also increases processor power consumption.

Quote:
Are the page turns slow with OI?
I just timed a page turn on an EPUB that I am currently reading with a Hanlin V3 running a recent OI snapshot. The page turn speed is about 1.5-2.0 seconds, or *maybe* a bit less. It is a bit clumsy trying to push the page turn button and watch the screen and the second hand on my watch all at once. In any case, it feels reasonably quick to me, and that is with the slower V3 processor. FWIW, I do not see Hanlin V5 on the OI roadmap yet, so I am not holding my breath waiting for that.
http://openinkpot.org/roadmap
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:29 AM   #7
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
FWIW, I do not see Hanlin V5 on the OI roadmap yet, so I am not holding my breath waiting for that.
http://openinkpot.org/roadmap
Porting to a new device is reasonably independent from the rest of development (with the well-known exception of EB-100, requiring lot of userspace optimizations), so the only prerequisite is a kernel hacker with device and bit of free time. Note the exception from "no new features" rule in 0.3 description.
dottedmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:46 AM   #8
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Porting to a new device is reasonably independent from the rest of development (with the well-known exception of EB-100, requiring lot of userspace optimizations), so the only prerequisite is a kernel hacker with device and bit of free time. Note the exception from "no new features" rule in 0.3 description.
Thank you very much for making that more clear.

There seems to be a lot of commonality between the V3 and V5, but also some rather significant hardware differences, specifically the display controller and scroll wheel. I really wish that I could help with that port, but all my embedded systems coding and debugging experience has never included working in the Linux environment. I will keep watching the progress though.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote