Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 10-14-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
A Walk on the Self-Righteous Side

Having sniffed around the dark side, I wanted to read a book related to the one I'd experimented on. It was actually a book I swore I'd never read again, since it was blatant sermonizing. Still, one should never say never.

Fictionwise wanted many teens of dollars for it (even though I could buy a hardcover, trade, or MMPB from Amazon, etc. for less than a dollar), and only offered it in $3(#%& formats. Neither appealed to me. Still, maybe I'd get a copy and strip the #^* off of it. Since I had no desire to spend several times what the book is worth and then have trouble reading it, I decided to experiment on books I wanted to read, which weren't priced insanely. I found two, purchased them (making this whole exercise arguably legal), and installed Python on my laptop.

I had to then brush off my old DOS skills and type in a command line! Needless to say, it worked fine. Both books now read well on the jetBook.

Now I have to debate whether I want to get the book from the library and reread the dead tree version, or pay for a book I didn't really like. Notice a flaw in the business model here? I was prepared to make an impulse buy, but the publisher put obstacles in my way. Now that I've reflected on it, I'll probably get the book from the library. Through greed and stupidity the publisher lost a profit of a few dollars. They also got me to learn a new skill they'd rather I not have. That way lies ruin for them.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Have you checked your local library for the ebook version?

Then you could put it on your device and have the best of both worlds without compromising your ideals......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:19 AM   #3
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Alas, none of the NOBLE* libraries circulate ebooks, only audiobooks, which I dislike. In any case, that won't work on a jetBook. Another example of publishers not endearing themselves to customers.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Have you checked your local library for the ebook version?

Then you could put it on your device and have the best of both worlds without compromising your ideals......
Only if the Jetbook includes a DRM scheme for library ebooks.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote