Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-13-2009, 11:19 PM   #16
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Mezcal View Post
Guess I'm a slacker compared with everyone else... I usually only have one major project going on at a time that I really buckle down and write. At the same time, I'll have one or two "lighter" projects that are basically receptacles for all the ideas I couldn't quite fit into my main work.
I'd change 'slacker' to 'more narrowly focused' I think there are a few different ways of writing... the "million projects all current" method that MoeJoe and I favour and the "buckle down to a single project" method seem the most common. I suspect it's largely personality-based as to what works.

Quote:
The short-novella I have on Feedbooks, Sweet Dream, Silver Screen, is such a thing - it's really just stringing together assorted characters or scenarios I couldn't quite work into my novel and giving them (hopefully) some semblance of coherence. I've got another short I'll be posting soon that's also along those lines.
Sounds interesting! I've added it to my library on Smashwords. Hopefully I'll get time to read it soon.

Quote:
Other than that, I keep tiny little black notebooks that I use to jot down ideas or snippets or character sketches that eventually may become something.
Never could do that, too scatter-brained. Oddly, little snippets of text on my laptop? No worries, that works just fine. Often I'll open one and think, "OH! THAT'S what goes in that story over there..." - like playing scrabble/jigsaws.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:45 PM   #17
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
I've noticed that my 'muse' (read, imagination, subconscious, whatever) just isn't happy unless I have 10 stories on the go at once. TEN. Once I hit that magic number, I seem to be able to buckle down and work on each of them until at least one is finished.

...Anyone else in the same boat?
I try to keep a varied assortment in the list of things I'm currently reading. For example, I'll separate my reading of philosophy, theology, politics or world events, with a bit of more frivolous stuff like humor or fiction. It keeps me from becoming bored or overdosing on the heavy stuff. I also stick things in my Kindle like current news and science articles, and syllabuses from courses I'm taking from The Great Courses (www.TEACH12.com) or iTunes U.

Recently I found I had almost 30 different items in my current reading list. That's too much for my poor brain to keep track of, so I decided to cut down. Now there are only 12 items, and three of those are course syllabuses.

10 is magic for me as well. In the future, I'm determined never to go over that number.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:50 PM   #18
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Anyone else in the same boat?
Cripes! I feel stupid. Your MUSE! This is a writing forum, and I'm responding with my reading list!

To bad there's no "Delete" button for things already posted!
Old 09-13-2009, 11:52 PM   #19
nomesque
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Cripes! I feel stupid. Your MUSE! This is a writing forum, and I'm responding with my reading list!

To bad there's no "Delete" button for things already posted!
Keep it there... consolation for the rest of us who do things in public on a regular basis...

But you DO bring up an interesting point - I'm a READ one book at a time kinda gal...
Old 09-14-2009, 04:31 AM   #20
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Nope! I write one at a time.

Sometimes when I'm 2/3 done with a big book (400 pages or more) I get another idea that feels compelling, but it's just a delaying tactic to keep me from finishing the big one.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:14 AM   #21
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Keep it there... consolation for the rest of us who do things in public on a regular basis...
Glad I could be of service!
Old 09-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #22
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Crap, if NOW hear about this I won't be able to hold my head up again

Don't you mean typewriter?

(just guessing based on your avatar)
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:06 PM   #23
nomesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Don't you mean typewriter?

(just guessing based on your avatar)
OI! Stop nicking my lines! It's bad enough having my husband do it all the time!

\/ see?

Quote:
Yup. OR your typewriter :P
Old 09-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #24
nomesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Nope! I write one at a time.

Sometimes when I'm 2/3 done with a big book (400 pages or more) I get another idea that feels compelling, but it's just a delaying tactic to keep me from finishing the big one.
Wow. The mere thought.... one thing at a time...
Old 09-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #25
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
OI! Stop nicking my lines! It's bad enough having my husband do it all the time!

\/ see?

Ahhh, grate minds and all that rot....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:44 PM   #26
nomesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Ahhh, grate minds and all that rot....
Or as my mother always says, "Fools never differ". Guess she's never listened to parliamentary question time.