Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #136
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Thanks very much for this patch, and to DNSB for the screenshot. Worked great after I figured out which numbers to change for the footer. It would be good to have info and updates regarding this patch in it's own thread.
Maybe folks would like to use this thread: Kobo Patcher and share their configuration files.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #137
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Moved to the new thread that I meant to post in...

Last edited by treadlightly; 08-15-2013 at 10:43 AM.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #138
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
Perfect! Thanks for the posting your settings and the excellent screenshot. The tiny page number was my last concern.

I guess I wouldn't mind adding a percentage to show book position, i.e, 63 of 564 (11%), but fixing the margins is much more significant. Once my Aura finally arrives I'll be applying this patch.
Once your Aura arrives you'll see that this is not really necessary.
Page x of y is the default display in the bottom margin, but if you tap there you'll see the %read in the bottom left corner (plus various icons to to access other things e.g. TOC, font settings etc)

Last edited by jackie_w; 08-15-2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: typo
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #139
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Once your Aura arrives you'll see that this is not really necessary.
Page x of y is the default display in the bottom margin, but if you tap there you'll see the %read in the bottom left corner (plus various icons to to access other things e.g. TOC, font settings etc)
Thanks, that's good to know.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:12 AM   #140
snuffed
snuffed began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm reading an ePub right now that for some reason can only switch between Kobo's standard fonts but none of the ones that I added myself. Does this still have something to do with the whole embedded font thing or is it something else entirely that I will need to change?
snuffed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #141
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Not sure what the catch is, but this doesn't appear to work on 2.8.1. I had previously, and successfully, added fonts with firmware 2.5.1. I have tried to add 5 fonts, all using the file name construct <Font Name>-<Weight>.ttf, but no joy. I'm trying to add Delima, Felbridge, Linux Biolinium, Segoe UI, and Verdana, each with the regular, bold, bold italic & italic weights. I've added them to a fonts directory in the .kobo folder of my Aura HD, per the steps outlined in the 1st post of this thread. I also did a power off/power on cycle after loading the fonts, but they do not show up at all.

What am I missing or doing wrong???

93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #142
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Not sure what the catch is, but this doesn't appear to work on 2.8.1. I had previously, and successfully, added fonts with firmware 2.5.1. I have tried to add 5 fonts, all using the file name construct <Font Name>-<Weight>.ttf, but no joy. I'm trying to add Delima, Felbridge, Linux Biolinium, Segoe UI, and Verdana, each with the regular, bold, bold italic & italic weights. I've added them to a fonts directory in the .kobo folder of my Aura HD, per the steps outlined in the 1st post of this thread. I also did a power off/power on cycle after loading the fonts, but they do not show up at all.

Ah, create the fonts folder in the root of the device memory, not in the .kobo folder.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #143
Warchild
Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook Color, Kobo Aura, iPad, iPad Mini
I don't believe the fonts go in the .kobo folder but simply in the root directory naming the folder fonts.
I did the same once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post

Warchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #144
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
Ah, create the fonts folder in the root of the device memory, not in the .kobo folder.
Doh! That did it! Total brain-fart on my part.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #145
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
I don't believe the fonts go in the .kobo folder but simply in the root directory naming the folder fonts.
I did the same once.
That's the trick, indeed!

Old 09-23-2013, 02:39 AM   #146
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
New to this thread, but I had some questions.

1. Is there a default neutral settings in typegenius? I suspect it is the middle of the sliders but wanted to see if this is a true assumption.

2. How well does the kobo software render the typegenius changes?

I suspect that if a font is experimented on, an unmodified typegenius font will render better than a modified one. This would be important for determining whether effort is worthwhile modifying a font using a computer and then loading it versus loading the same font and then modifying it with typegenius.

Or, my phont philosophy could simply be a waste of brain power.....
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #147
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
I suspect that if a font is experimented on, an unmodified typegenius font will render better than a modified one.
I don't have any hard facts on this, only anecdotal evidence and only on the older Glo and AuraHD models, but I'll share it anyway...

When I installed Metazoa's Kobo Patcher (currently only available for fw 2.6.1 and 2.8.1) I enabled the option to make TypeGenius available for all sideloaded fonts. Prior to this I had been using JSWolf's modified CharisSIL font which, amongst other tweaks, is a slightly bolder version of standard CharisSIL. Because, in theory, TypeGenius should have been able to achieve the same darkness I reloaded standard CharisSIL. Having 2 patched Kobos I was able to compare standard and modified Charis. Both versions were changeable from very light to very dark, but JSWolf's modified Charis seemed to look much better. So I've continued to use the modified version.

As to why, I've no idea. I guess all I'm trying to say is that some font tweaking may be beneficial for some fonts. As usual only personal experimentation will give you your answer. You weren't planning on finding time to actually read books on your new toy, were you?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:51 AM   #148
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Hi

I got nice results on my Kobo Glo with many modified fonts that have been published here, among others Charis Sil modified (a hit among Kobo users), but also Linux Libertine, DejaVu Sans, MinionPro and others...

However to be able to enjoy these new fonts, you need to take care of -only- three points:
- sideload the fonts in the "fonts" folder (lowercase letter). Create it if need be.
- make sure your fonts use -Regular, -Italic, -Bold, -BoldItalic suffixes. Rename them if need be.
- restart your Kobo
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #149
velkro
velkro began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've attached the renamed fonts. Please let me know if they are not correct. Thanks.
I have tested many fonts and this is the best of all. I think it's the perfect font for my Aura HD. Thanks JSWolf.
velkro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #150
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by velkro View Post
I have tested many fonts and this is the best of all. I think it's the perfect font for my Aura HD. Thanks JSWolf.
Glad you like. You are very welcome.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote