Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-12-2009, 06:43 AM   #1
voda
voda began at the beginning.

Device: none
calibre html2epub on linux error cannot connect to X server

Hello,

I'm using the software for the conversion of xhtml to epub. It works great, however I can't get a cover to convert. I get an error message ": cannot connect to X server". The X server is running. I've tried to edit the DISPLAY var.

I'm using ubuntu 9.04 desktop with gnome. I'm trying to convert it with the command line on the desktop as well through ssh. Both ain't working.

The output:
INFO: Parsing ndc/file/123456789_dhahadhda_adhadhsdfjhsfjhfsjfsjsfj.xhtml
INFO: Detected chapter:
INFO: Detected chapter: Colofon
INFO: Processing stylesheet /tmp/calibre_0.4.143_1xp5Ie_html2epub/content/resources/styleboek_0.css...
INFO: Rationalizing fonts...
DEBUG: Done rationalizing
DEBUG: Saving stylesheets...
: cannot connect to X server

Does anyone know what might be the problem?

Many thanks,

Janwillem
voda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:50 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
You're using 0.4.143. Upgrade to the latest version (0.6.6 as of now). A number of X server requirements were removed for the command line tools since that version.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2009, 06:56 AM   #3
voda

Thanks for your answer. I installed calibre using apt-get. It is still the newest version according to apt-get. How can i update it to 0.6.6?
Old 08-12-2009, 07:02 AM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Sadly Ubuntu does not update application versions for the life of their release. So you're two options are to install from a PPA (another repository your can point apt at). An unsupported PPA can be found here. Or you can uninstall it with apt and install using the binary installer.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
voda

I've updated calibre to the new version, but i still have the error.

When I use the flag -v for debugging, I get this message:

34% Running transforms on ebook...
Merging user specified metadata...
Detecting structure...
Detected chapter:
Detected chapter:
Detected chapter:
Detected chapter: Colofon
Detected chapter:
Auto generated TOC with 5 entries.
Flattening CSS and remapping font sizes...
Source base font size is 12.00000pt
Cleaning up manifest...
Trimming unused files from manifest...
Parsing stylesheet.css ...
Creating EPUB Output...
67% Creating EPUB Output
Looking for large trees in 123456789_dhahadhda_adhadhsdfjhsfjhfsjfsjsfj.xhtml ...
No large trees found
: cannot connect to X server

What could be the problem? The X server is definetly running. When i do ps aux | grep X I see:

root 2900 0.0 0.1 2908 740 ? S 08:40 0:00 xinit /etc/gdm/failsafeXinit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.failsafe with-gdm -- /usr/bin/X :0 -auth /var/lib/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp vt7 -br -once -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf.failsafe -logfile /var/log/Xorg.failsafe.log
root 2902 0.0 1.4 15872 7120 tty7 S<s+ 08:40 0:00 /usr/bin/X :0 -auth /var/lib/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp vt7 -br -once -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf.failsafe -logfile /var/log/Xorg.failsafe.log
root 2906 0.0 0.2 4208 1484 ? S 08:40 0:00 /bin/bash /etc/gdm/failsafeXinit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.failsafe with-gdm

Edit: With the new version I get the same error even when I convert without the cover

Last edited by voda; 08-12-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Advert
Old 08-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
set | grep DISPLAY

and are you actually logged in to the X server as the user you're running the command as?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
voda

The DISPLAY var is empty. I can set it to display=:0.0 but it makes not difference.
I log in with ssh to the server, where X is running. But I'm not actually logged in into the X server. Should I? Is there a way without? At the end i want to execute the program from the internet using php. I'm making a form, so people can create epub files.

Last edited by voda; 08-12-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do

unset DISPLAY

and then run ebook-convert
Old 08-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
voda

Still the same error.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Works for me on a headless server. In fact I use it to automatically convert a number of formats into EPUB.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #11
voda

But unsetting the var wouldn't help very much would it? It would still need the X server to run right?
Old 08-12-2009, 04:38 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No it doesn't need the X server. If it detects that not X server is present (by querying DISPLAY) it skips over the parts that need the X server.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:12 AM   #13
voda

Is there any other solution? unsetting the var doesn't seem to work.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

What is the exact command you are using to convert?
Old 08-14-2009, 04:20 AM   #15
voda

I use ebook-convert test.xhtml test.epub

When i was using the old version of calibre, i got the same error, however i only got it when i was converting a cover with it. Then i used html2epub. Now i always get the error.

Tags
calibre, connect, html2epub, linux, x server