Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-22-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Q1 (on way out), PRS505, DR1000S (dead :<), TC1100 (10'' perfection!)
SD Card Problems

I am using the A-Data 16GB SDHC Class 6 SD card on my DR, and have encountered some peculiar problems. I formatted the cards on my computer (Fat32) and have been using them over the past week or so.
1. First off, the card does not "slide" smoothly into the DR. On more than one occasion, the card would not pop out and I had to reach for my swiss army knife (not pleasant).
The card that came with the DR as well as several other Sandisk and Kingston cards I have do not have this problem.
2. The DR often randomly wipes out my entire SD card . When I pop it into a card reader on my computer, I am informed that it is unformatted.
3. Sometimes, when I try to open some folders on my DR, I get a message box saying something to the effect of "This folder cannot be opened". Deleting the metadata.db file in that folder (on my computer) seems to fix the problem.

I have tried this on 4 different cards of the same brand, and the problems persist. I am yet to see any of these problems with my 2G Sandisks, but I have not used them much.

I am trying to figure out:
(a) If the problem lies with the specific brand of the SD card I used. Has anyone else tried the A-Data?
(b) If the problem lies with SDHC cards in general. Does anyone experience similar issues with 4G/8G/16G cards?
(c) If my problems (2 and 3) have anything to do with my SD card at all. Has anyone seen something like this before?

Thanks!

Update 04/01: I have been using the Sandisk Ultra II 16GB and the Kingston 32GB Class 4 SDHC cards, and they work fine. NONE of the above problems surface. I also noticed that the DR recognizes these cards when inserted without restarting, something it did not do with my A-Data.

Last edited by Grimulkan; 04-01-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Grimulkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:38 AM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I haven't heard of anyone else with similar problems, but keep in mind that iRex does not officially support SDHC cards. Some users have said they work OK (except for formatting), but that doesn't necessarily mean they've been well tested. There may be some weird incompatibilities that you're running in to that nobody else has hit yet.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
I have a SanDisk Ultra II 15 MB/s 8GB card. I have not had any problems with it. I also have a rule that I have never broken with this reader or cameras or PocketPC phones. No matter what anyone recommends, formatting on the PC or the device, I never format the card. I might have broken this rule once in a dozen or more years. The cards always work out of the box without formatting and the device always recognizes the full size of the card.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
ghostwheel
Zealot
ghostwheel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DBoox Max,Galaxy note 10.1 & 3,LE1700 tablet,sony PRS-500,iRex DR1000S
I haven't had a problem

I've been using a Kingston 32GB card for a while now, and haven't had any problems.
ghostwheel is offline   Reply With Quote