Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-10-2008, 03:17 PM   #16
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
well, i suppose there is still the option of buying the broken kindle... although it seems rather silly to have to jump through all these hoops just to be able to buy books, doesn't it ?
And, that is actually the only strictly legal option that is open to this individual. However, finding a "broken" Kindle may not be all that easy considering that most are still under warranty (and Amazon has been very good about replacing those that are defective).

However, since the poster does not want to contribute money to Amazon (since they use "draconian lock in" tactics), I don't think buying a broken Kindle and then purchasing ebooks from Amazon is going to be an adequate solution, since he/she would still be purchasing books from a company they do not like.

The only way to get Amazon content without paying any money to Amazon would be through theft. I realize that people often do not see theft as a bad thing if the victim is a large company ... but it is theft all the same.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:20 PM   #17
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Yes, it does, ZP. My plan is to simply wait until the value of relieving my own frustration has reached about $400 and then I will break down and buy a Kindle to go with my Sony Reader. Incredibly senseless, but I forsee it happening next year.
Oh, hell, VR .... by then I'll probably have a fourth or fifth Kindle, and I can loan one of them to you. It's not like you live all that far away ....
Advert
Old 12-10-2008, 03:26 PM   #18
Diogene
Banned
Diogene doesn't litterDiogene doesn't litter

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Paying someone for something that they do not have the right to send you is illegal. Yes.

I would think that, since you are a genius and all, you'd be able to figure that out all by yourself.

And, speaking as one of those "parasitic lawyers" you seem to dislike so much, please do let me know how well you fare in your country's court system with no lawyer to defend you.
"There are too many laws and too many lawyers" does not mean that we should get rid of all laws and all lawyers right now.
Just of a lot.
Don't you understand that conformism, in an insane society, is a form of neurosis?

In an article a few years ago, libertarian Charles Murray argued that the laws and regulations that govern us are now so numerous, complex, and impossible to understand that the average American cannot avoid being a lawbreaker. He cited this endless proliferation of laws as one of the reasons for the current public cynicism and distrust of government.

Ayn Rand predicted such a state of affairs in her 1957 novel, Atlas Shrugged, and suggested dark motives for it:

"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws."

Corporations, hand-in-hand with governments, are becoming more and more tyrannical: they want too much control over our lives.

"Where there are too many laws, there is no justice." German Proverb.

Last edited by Diogene; 12-10-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Diogene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:28 PM   #19
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Cynoclast, I had to give up my e-device last week and am reading on a PC now. Therefore, I've been experimenting with formats. Download some different softwares and try them out on a few free books from MobileRead. Figure out what will work for your e-device, and then the whole widening world of e-reading will open for you. Google for Mobipocket and eReader reading software and see if you can get it to work on your Nokia. I'm not familiar with your e-device, but I do believe several MobileRead members use the same sort of equipment.

If I were you, I would download eReader software and see if books formatted for that will work on your Nokia. There is always a learning curve anytime a new electronic thingamajig becomes available. After a few successful attempts at downloading free books, I'll bet you will forget why you ever became so frustrated in the first place.

Then, go to www.fictionwise.com and search for the book in question. There are plenty of format options to choose from, usually several choices per book. Other bookstore suggestions include, but are not limited to, BAEN, Feedbooks, Books on Board, Ebooks.com (watch out for extra transaction charges here), and many many more. Google for ebooks and stand back while the avalanche of booksellers rolls past.

Good Luck!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #20
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
And, that is actually the only strictly legal option that is open to this individual. However, finding a "broken" Kindle may not be all that easy considering that most are still under warranty (and Amazon has been very good about replacing those that are defective).

However, since the poster does not want to contribute money to Amazon (since they use "draconian lock in" tactics), I don't think buying a broken Kindle and then purchasing ebooks from Amazon is going to be an adequate solution, since he/she would still be purchasing books from a company they do not like.

The only way to get Amazon content without paying any money to Amazon would be through theft. I realize that people often do not see theft as a bad thing if the victim is a large company ... but it is theft all the same.
um, ricky... the original poster never said anything about theft, on the contrary he very explicitly was looking for a way to PAY for the books he wants ; even if it was through a proxy. yes, he did mention his disapproval of amazon's draconian lock-in methods, which i have to admit i share, but he went on to say that despite that he wanted to support the bourgeoning ebook industry, even if that meant he had to go through amazon to do it. that is why i reacted as i did in my first post. theft is pretty obviously illegal ; trying to purchase something from a legitimate vendor is (theoretically, at least) not.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #21
Diogene
Banned

Quote:
maybe a bunch of frustrated sony owners should set up a pool and buy one kindle to share among them.
Best idea in this thread!
Old 12-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #22
Diogene
Banned

RickyMaveety, you are the exact opposite of a pirate: you merely are a boring legalist. You should change the picture under your name.
Why do you want to appear as someone you are not? I mean, apparently you neither funny nor cool. You sound like a corporate lawyer. A little fascist.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #23
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogene View Post
"There are too many laws and too many lawyers" does not mean that we should get rid of all laws and all lawyers right now.
Just of a lot.
Don't you understand that conformism, in an insane society, is a form of neurosis?

In an article a few years ago, libertarian Charles Murray argued that the laws and regulations that govern us are now so numerous, complex, and impossible to understand that the average American cannot avoid being a lawbreaker. He cited this endless proliferation of laws as one of the reasons for the current public cynicism and distrust of government.

Ayn Rand predicted such a state of affairs in her 1957 novel, Atlas Shrugged, and suggested dark motives for it:

"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws."

Corporations, hand-in-hand with governments, are becoming more and more tyrannical: they want too much control over our lives.

And so .... what .... are you going to be the one who decides which laws are sane and which are "insane"?

How do you propose to "get rid" of "just of a lot" of the "hordes of parasitic lawyers"? Planning to herd us into camps and gas us?? Actually, conforming to an insane society goes as lot further than neurosis, however, I can see from your sentence structure that English is not your primary language, so I will assume that you intended to express something completely different from that which you actually wrote.

"Corporations, hand-in-hand with governments, are becoming more and more tyrannical: they want too much control over our lives." I am reminded of a quote by an eminent American philosopher who said "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

I would suggest you look long and hard at your own control issues (as you are deciding what laws are worthy of staying and which you will break because they "deserve" to be broken).
Old 12-10-2008, 03:39 PM   #24
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
um, ricky... the original poster never said anything about theft, on the contrary he very explicitly was looking for a way to PAY for the books he wants ; even if it was through a proxy. yes, he did mention his disapproval of amazon's draconian lock-in methods, which i have to admit i share, but he went on to say that despite that he wanted to support the bourgeoning ebook industry, even if that meant he had to go through amazon to do it. that is why i reacted as i did in my first post. theft is pretty obviously illegal ; trying to purchase something from a legitimate vendor is (theoretically, at least) not.
I suppose if the Kindle-owner bought books at the request of the OP, sent them along and was reimbursed without ever loading the books themselves on their Kindle, that wouldn't violate the spirit of the law but I'm pretty sure it would violate the letter of the law as well as the terms of service with Amazon. It would also get tricky if they both wanted the same book. Amazon prevents you from buying a duplicate copy of something you already bought. The Kindle-owner couldn't buy a second copy for themselves.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:40 PM   #25
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
RickyMaveety, you are the exact opposite of a pirate: you merely are a boring legalist. You should change the picture under your name.
Why do you want to appear as someone you are not? I mean, apparently you neither funny nor cool. You sound like a corporate lawyer. A little fascist.
Please try to keep it civil.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:42 PM   #26
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just of a lot.

I keep trying to overlook your broad generalizations and find the humanity in your writing, but honestly, have you expressed a single thought of your own since you busted onto the threads yesterday? Your mind seems to be already made up that you are oppressed or whatever, and you insist on letting everyone know how badly the world is treating you.

Try to concentrate on doing good and helping others, and you will never have to worry about breaking the the law.

(Was that me being nasty? Where oh where is that mailman with my Zoloft refills? )
Old 12-10-2008, 03:42 PM   #27
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Paying someone for something that they do not have the right to send you is illegal. Yes.

I would think that, since you are a genius and all, you'd be able to figure that out all by yourself.

And, speaking as one of those "parasitic lawyers" you seem to dislike so much, please do let me know how well you fare in your country's court system with no lawyer to defend you.
Did I already tell you that I love you, Ricky? If not, shame on me.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #28
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Did I already tell you that I love you, Ricky? If not, shame on me.
Ah, shucks. Now I'm all blushy!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #29
Diogene
Banned

Quote:
And so .... what .... are you going to be the one who decides which laws are sane and which are "insane"?

How do you propose to "get rid" of "just of a lot" of the "hordes of parasitic lawyers"? Planning to herd us into camps and gas us?? Actually, conforming to an insane society goes as lot further than neurosis, however, I can see from your sentence structure that English is not your primary language, so I will assume that you intended to express something completely different from that which you actually wrote.

"Corporations, hand-in-hand with governments, are becoming more and more tyrannical: they want too much control over our lives." I am reminded of a quote by an eminent American philosopher who said "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

I would suggest you look long and hard at your own control issues (as you are deciding what laws are worthy of staying and which you will break because they "deserve" to be broken).
Like all conformists, you have no imagination, and you pretend that I am the only one who sees this society as insane, unable to see far beyond your limited horizon.
You can only express your pathetic fears, seeing me as a dictator but unable to see capitalism as a worldwide dictatorship. Do you have any idea how exploited the people who produce and ship most of your goods are? How little freedom they really have?
Any other form of society can only repel you. You are so rigid.
Tell us how neurotically your parents raised you!
Can you even face your unconscious, obedient sheep?
Old 12-10-2008, 04:08 PM   #30
DixieGal
Hi There!

Seriously dude, are you just copy-&-pasting directly from some weird a$$ listserv or something? At least try to make some sort of sense with these ramblings.

(Here Zoloft, c'mere little pill bottle, DixieGal's getting b1tchy...)