Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-13-2008, 09:24 AM   #31
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
Been travelling to and from continental Europe a lot, usually for 4 days at a time and, since they lifted the 1 bag rule, have a little case for clothes, a backpack for my work stuff (puter, papers etc) and a teeny plastic bag with everything liquid I haven't been able to source as solid.

Few weeks ago we were going across for one day early; mentioned to my boss it would be great coz I could pack light.
I arrived at the airport with my l'il cross body handbag and huge backpack and he laughed, 'this is you travelling light?' I pointed to the little bag, 'this is my stuff' and the backpack, 'THIS is all my work stuff!'

Whenever I check backage in it ends up scuffed and bashed and the stuff inside all squished - last time one of the zipper toggles had even somehow come off - so always try to do the overhead thing if I can.

P.S. Friend tipped me off that if you roll your clothes rather than folding them they get less creasy - it works!!!
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:56 AM   #32
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Nobody wants public transport in the US more than me, but even if a train system were to become possible - Amtrak is useless and doesn't count - then there is another infrastructure hurdle to meet: Urban Sprawl.

Say I were to somehow have bus service from my suburban home 11 miles outside of Bham, how would I get to work from the bus station? Our city buses are practically useless also, becuase they are old and stay broken down on the sides of the roads. The city is too spread out to walk from the station, which is located in a very bad part of the city. The city center is dead and scary, and businesses and homes are spreading farther afield every year.

Paris, on the other hand, is perfect for public transport. It is a big city, but everything is centered within the city. They spent a century getting the Metro just right, and have maintained it well. A person can go from point A to point B, and point B will be within walking distance of wherever you may need to go.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2008, 10:18 AM   #33
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
those are good points, DixieGal, but i think the real issue is the apparent lack of urban planning in US cities ; it doesn't matter the *size* they are if they are designed logically. for example, there are no neighborhoods in Paris which are either entirly residential, or entirely commercial ; with few exceptions all buildings in Paris proper are a mix between private appartments and businesses, and almost all ground floor appartments are rented as commercial spaces for shops or other businesses.

this ensures that (for example) you can always easily do your grocery shopping without having to travel very far. i do all my grocery shoping on foot ; within a radius of a few streets from my house, there are at least 7 chain grocery stores, and as many independent 4 seasons shops, bakeries, cheese shops, butchers, etc., plus twice a week there is a farmer's market in the street. i *could* travel by métro to the suburbs to go to one of the "hypermarchés" and buy a full month's worth of groceries at once, but even if i could manage to get them home afterwards (i don't have a car) i would never have room to stock everything in my minuscule kitchen. it's much easier to buy just the things i need 2 or 3 times a week, and since the shops are so close, i can. efficient urban planning.

there were some "dormitory" suburbs built which are only big housing developpments whose residents commuted to work in the city ; but no-one wants to live there anymore and they are all slowly being transformed with creation of local commerces and businesses.

another hurdle in Paris is the service between suburbs ; Paris itself is very well served between the métro (subway) and the buses, and it's easy to get from paris to any city in the suburbs, even the very distant suburbs. but travelling from one suburb to another can require a ridiculous detour through the center of Paris to change trains. this is being rectified by the construction of tramways and new trains and buses. some similar plan would surely be required in the US, with systems of trains and buses that are interconnected to create a sufficiently closely-woven mesh.

i really think that as Taylor said a good public transport system depends on the government wanting to create it and then doing what is necessary to make it possible, which includes budget, infrastructure, and (very important) urban planning. it can be a big project, when those have been neglected for too long, but i think it's still possible.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:23 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Here in the Boston area we have really good public transportation. I ride the T quite a lot. It saves me the hassle of driving into town, the hassle of using gas, the hassle of parking, and I can go just about where I want rather easily.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:31 AM   #35
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I remember being a poor first-year graduate student trying figuring out how to get home for Christmas. Fortunately, an Amtrak train was available to travel the 1000 miles but it left after midnight from a small town 100 miles away and arrived after midnight the next night in a small town 100 miles away from where I wanted to get to. The logistics of travelling those extra couple hundred miles in the middle of two nights was not going to be easy or pleasant. Not counting those two smaller trips, the train ticket was going to save me $50 compared to an airplane ticket. No surprise: I flew. I have never ridden a train in the U.S. between cities. Practically, the option doesn't exist except in the northeast, as far as I'm aware.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2008, 10:32 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've used Amtrack before. If you are not going too too far, it can be an enjoyable trip.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:38 AM   #37
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
The US has poor rail and public transport systems for one simple reason - Population Density! (or the lack thereof.)

Consider, France has 64 million people in an area the size of Texas. Texas has 23 million or so. Much of the US has similar densities. In addition, Texas cities have no geographic limiting features, so they can sprawl to the populace's content. The result is too low of a population density to economically support mass transit. Certain US cities, New York, San Francisco, Boston, ect. have geographic limits which force building upwards, providing the density to support mass transit.

As to rails, well, LA to New York - over 5000 Kms. Dallas to NY - over 3000 Kms., NY to Miami, over 2000 Kms. Flying is so much faster than rails over those kind of distances, that the result is poor rail service. It's a niche market.
And the primary reason for that sort of population density?? The automobile. The suburbs were a creation of the post war automobile society. Same with what they call "urbran sprawl."

Not saying it's anyone's fault ... just that the lack of really good public transit in the United States has almost everything to do with our love of the automobile.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:40 AM   #38
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
What I don't get...

Is why, with this shift in paying for checked bags (even one), people don't just check themselves into luggage?

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:55 AM   #39
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
This is my wife. She's my carry-on. Honey, can you crawl into the overhead bin? Oh, and hand me down my Reader and the Twizzlers? Thanks. See you in Chicago.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #40
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I remember being a poor first-year graduate student trying figuring out how to get home for Christmas. Fortunately, an Amtrak train was available to travel the 1000 miles but it left after midnight from a small town 100 miles away and arrived after midnight the next night in a small town 100 miles away from where I wanted to get to. The logistics of travelling those extra couple hundred miles in the middle of two nights was not going to be easy or pleasant. Not counting those two smaller trips, the train ticket was going to save me $50 compared to an airplane ticket. No surprise: I flew. I have never ridden a train in the U.S. between cities. Practically, the option doesn't exist except in the northeast, as far as I'm aware.
From La Crosse to Chicago is a five hour Amtrack ride. The depot is in La Crosse, Union Station is centrally located. It is MUCH easier to take the train than driving, and less expensive. To the Twin Cities, likewise, although the connections are later and less desireable. To anywhere else, it's a slog. To get to St Louis involves a night layover in Chicago.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:12 AM   #41
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I must be lucky because in the past three years of traveling (i took a break prior to that), I have had maybe 10 delayed flights, and I fly nearly every week. I just see these delays are more opportunity to read.

As far as the pricing goes, nationalizing the airline industry is the worst possible thing that could happen. It means more taxes, and yeah, the government has shown that they can do a really, really good job at running organizations. As a IT contractor to government agencies I can tell you that these are some of the most poorly run "companies" in the world (including the many UK and Canadian agencies I've worked with).
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

So if you fly often enough, your reader might eventually save you money based on weight allowances.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:09 PM   #43
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
those are good points, DixieGal, but i think the real issue is the apparent lack of urban planning in US cities ; it doesn't matter the *size* they are if they are designed logically. for example, there are no neighborhoods in Paris which are either entirly residential, or entirely commercial ; with few exceptions all buildings in Paris proper are a mix between private appartments and businesses, and almost all ground floor appartments are rented as commercial spaces for shops or other businesses.
Actually it is quite the opposite Zelda. Paris and also older New York neighboorhoods are organic... people lived there and worked there... so there is a good mix of residential, office, retail, etc in each area. While as urban planners like to have the Offices all in one area, the Retail in one area, the residential in one area. This is why US commute is so bad, in the AM 90% of the residents are streaming into the downtown office area. In the PM they all leave. If the major residential areas are all one direction the highways are terrible.

I think Doctorow makes this point in his book _Little Brother_ where he talk about why the "City Center" while so beautiful and safe during the day becomes a dangerous ghost town at night with basically thugs and homeless.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:14 PM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think Doctorow makes this point in his book _Little Brother_ where he talk about why the "City Center" while so beautiful and safe during the day becomes a dangerous ghost town at night with basically thugs and homeless.

BOb
It's interesting that, over the last 10-15 years here in the UK, "city centre" living is now the "in thing", especially for young professionals who want to live in the heart of the city, not have to bother with a car, etc. In virtually every British city you'll find massive new developments of apartment blocks right in the very centre of the city.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:27 PM   #45
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Getting around Boston itself is fairly easy, but as Zelda points out, the suburbs are another matter, requiring a visit to the center of Boston to switch trains.

I just checked the other day, and a monthly pass to use the Amtrack to get from the station 7 miles from my house to Boston (about 60 miles away) would be US$270. Not bad. If I end up taking a job in Boston after I get my doctorate, I would seriously consider this option. I could use my iLiad during the ride.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote