Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Wine, Linux and Kobo Desktop App

I have been experiencing problems trying to load Kobo's desktop application on a Linux distro (Mint) using Wine. The application starts to load, the first page loads with suggested books, wish list etc., but the library containing my books does not load and the download indicator just continues to spin and spin ....

Anybody else have this problem? Anybody aware of a solution? Or, of another means of getting Kobo installed onto a Linux system?

Many thanks
fbrII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
Anybody else have this problem? Anybody aware of a solution? Or, of another means of getting Kobo installed onto a Linux system?
I had the same problem on a Debian (wheezy) system, the program doesn't seem to be able to access the network. I didn't persue a solution once I realised I didn't need to install the Kobo desktop software but can just setup/synch using the device's WiFi. The only desktop program I can't seem to do without is ADE, which works OK in Wine (provided the device is plugged in and configured to look like a floppy disk before ADE is started).
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
There is a native linux app out there. Have you tried that? This is the only link I have, but it still seems to work

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2183775/kobo-desktop.deb
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Jusmee - Thanks for the link. I downloaded the deb but I received an error message when attempting to open it with gdebi package installer.

"The package might be corrupted or you are not allowed to open the file. Check the permissions of the file."

I went back checked the properties and checked the "Allow executing file as program" box. However, I got the same message when I attempted to load it again with the permissions box checked.

So, for now I'm still stuck and hope a solution can be found.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Maybe redownload it. I just got a fresh copy, and it opens fine in Ubuntu Software centre, Qapt, and also in Ubuntu's archive manager.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2012, 11:32 PM   #6
fbrII
F. BluDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Maybe redownload it. I just got a fresh copy, and it opens fine in Ubuntu Software centre, Qapt, and also in Ubuntu's archive manager.
I have loaded and reloaded and got the same results each time. I will give it a try again tomorrow, just to see if my luck has changed.

I am not familiar with Qapt and my archive tool also barked back with an error message.

But I will giving it a go again tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:00 AM   #7
piratepanda
Connoisseur
piratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One
What are you trying to do? There is calibre for organisation and even for buying books, you can transfer the books via USB and use Wifi to register the Kobo, anything else I'm missing? Happy Fedora user here.
piratepanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:42 AM   #8
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
I couldn't get it to work, either. I didn't try the mentioned deb file (sorry, but installing software like that, without knowing, where it is from, I'm too paranoid to do that) and I love calibre...
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote