Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #16
Kai771
Just a Noob
Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3
@Doitsu (and others that might be interested)

I just compiled the latest kpdfviewer build and uploaded it if you're interested to try it out. Improvements that chrox made to reflow mode are astonishing imno. The speed is drastically improved - those freezes of 10 sec or so are like 3 now. He also changed how he implemented configuration dialog - changes are applied when you close it now, not live - so it's much more responsive. I'd really like to hear your impressions, and if possible, comparison to quality of reflow in regards to duokan.

Update: Since it's now outdated, I removed the link and the file. Please use the newest official release of kpdfviewer.

Last edited by Kai771; 11-28-2012 at 04:58 AM.
Kai771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #17
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Word != PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
If you want perfect converstion of a PDF file to Kindle format for any kind of Kindle, see this:

If you really want to convert PDF files to Kindle format, first subscribe here to Adobe Export for $ 20.00 per year:

http://success.adobe.com/en/na/sem/s...S|e|9201585503

Then send your resulting Word file after your own editing to your Kindle using the email address on the Manage Your Kindle page at Amazon...
1. Your link is broken (goes to 404 Not Found page).
2. You start by talking about converting "PDF files to Kindle format," but the directions you give tell how to convert a Word file to the Kindle. That's very different.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #18
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai771 View Post
@Doitsu (and others that might be interested)

I just compiled the latest kpdfviewer build and uploaded it if you're interested to try it out. Improvements that chrox made to reflow mode are astonishing imno. The speed is drastically improved - those freezes of 10 sec or so are like 3 now. He also changed how he implemented configuration dialog - changes are applied when you close it now, not live - so it's much more responsive. I'd really like to hear your impressions, and if possible, comparison to quality of reflow in regards to duokan.

Download link:
https://github.com/downloads/kai771/...4-ga209ed3.zip
I just had a chance to try this most recent pdfviewer, and the reflow is indeed amazing! The best I've tried, much better than Duokan! I'm not getting any errors or weird spacing in the two books in pdf I have tried thus far (these books haven't worked on Duokan, nor on previous versions of pdfviewer. I've always avoided pdf's altogether on my Kindle 3, but now I'll have to rethink that. Most impressive! Thanks!
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:30 AM   #19
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai771 View Post
I just compiled the latest kpdfviewer build and uploaded it if you're interested to try it out. Improvements that chrox made to reflow mode are astonishing imno.
I'm also impressed by the improvements in speed, unfortunately, kpdfviewer still has some quirks that make reading in Reflow mode a bit difficult.

For example, when I tested this pdf from archive.org with it, I noticed that large chunks of text were often randomly carried over from one page to the next (p21_A.jpg & p21_B.jpg), which makes continuous reading rather difficult. Occasionally the Reflow feature also produced lines with just one word in it (p22_A.jpg).

(All screen captures where taken in sequence on my K3, and you can see the settings that I used in the last screen capture.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p21_A.JPG
Views:	484
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	96415   Click image for larger version

Name:	p21_B.JPG
Views:	434
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	96416   Click image for larger version

Name:	p22_A.JPG
Views:	442
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	96417   Click image for larger version

Name:	menu_settings.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	96418  
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #20
wassal
wassal began at the beginning.

Device: IPAD
what about kindle 4 ?
wassal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #21
chrox
Zealot
chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 KPW PB840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I'm also impressed by the improvements in speed, unfortunately, kpdfviewer still has some quirks that make reading in Reflow mode a bit difficult.

For example, when I tested this pdf from archive.org with it, I noticed that large chunks of text were often randomly carried over from one page to the next (p21_A.jpg & p21_B.jpg), which makes continuous reading rather difficult. Occasionally the Reflow feature also produced lines with just one word in it (p22_A.jpg).

(All screen captures where taken in sequence on my K3, and you can see the settings that I used in the last screen capture.)
You can eliminate these problems by installing the latest release from my nightly build channel at https://github.com/chrox/kindlepdfviewer/downloads/ . Major improvements are listed below:
  1. more smooth page turning
  2. multi-threaded precaching
  3. fixed a bug of occasional words missing

Attached are screenshots of p21-p22 from the doc you provided. And the reflowing parameters I use are shown in the last pic. Manual trimming box is set to get rid of the defects at the margin of p22 which causes wrong indentation in reflowed view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121119143537.png
Views:	334
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	96495   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121119144219.png
Views:	349
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	96496   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121119144138.png
Views:	324
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	96497   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121119144145.png
Views:	335
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	96498  

Last edited by chrox; 11-19-2012 at 11:42 AM.
chrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #22
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrox View Post
You can eliminate these problems by installing the latest release from my nightly build channel at https://github.com/chrox/kindlepdfviewer/downloads/
Thanks for your reply. The text reflow issues that I found indeed no longer occurred with the kindlepdfviewer-v2012.10-196-gd350c60.zip build and the indentation issue also went away after manual trimming.
(I'd never thought that manual trimming would fix this.)
Keep up the good work!
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #23
jackhulk
Connoisseur
jackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: K3 3G
Exclamation

I'm having problems getting this to run.

I've installed jailbreak provided by op's link, installed Launchpad, and then...

1. Create folder "customupdates" on root of Kindle
2. Copy kindlepdfviewer-master.zip to customupdates and unzip.

Now within customupdates folder there is kindlepdfviewer-master.zip and kindlepdfviewer-master > kindlepdfviewer-master > files.

Eject, press Shift-Shift-I and 'Success' message is displayed. I then press Shift-Shift-Space and again receive 'Success' message. Finally I press Shift-P-D but nothing happens?

Where am I going wrong please?
jackhulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #24
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhulk View Post
I'm having problems getting this to run.

I've installed jailbreak provided by op's link, installed Launchpad, and then...

1. Create folder "customupdates" on root of Kindle
2. Copy kindlepdfviewer-master.zip to customupdates and unzip.

Now within customupdates folder there is kindlepdfviewer-master.zip and kindlepdfviewer-master > kindlepdfviewer-master > files.

Eject, press Shift-Shift-I and 'Success' message is displayed. I then press Shift-Shift-Space and again receive 'Success' message. Finally I press Shift-P-D but nothing happens?

Where am I going wrong please?
You're not supposed to unzip the archive. You just place it into the customupdates folder and then follow the rest of the installation instructions.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #25
jackhulk
Connoisseur
jackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

That's what I did first of all, but still nothing happened when I pressed shift p d, so I uninstalled and followed the official guide here...

https://github.com/hwhw/kindlepdfvie...allation-Guide

As said, it appears to install as I get the 'Success!' message twice and a new kindlepdfviewer-master folder appears in root, but pressing shift p d, and still nothing happens.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #26
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Hmm, the official installation instructions are incorrect on its own site. How ironic. Here's the official release thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157047

Try following the uninstallation instructions in the first post and try starting over.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #27
jackhulk
Connoisseur

I tried that too. I completely uninstalled Jailbreak, started from scratch, but kpdfviewer still fails to start after pressing shift P D.

Also tried with Kite, but where installation says "Kite should now present two new pseudo-documents for starting KPDFviewer", I get nothing. I know Kite is installed correctly as the screensaver.sh ran successfully and I see the 'Kite enabled' line on restart, but apart from that, I can't see any difference and no new documents are visible.

Thanks for your help, I'll pop over to official thread to try and resolve this there.

Last edited by jackhulk; 12-04-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #28
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhulk View Post
I tried that too. I completely uninstalled Jailbreak, started from scratch, but kpdfviewer still fails to start after pressing shift P D.

Also tried with Kite, but where installation says "Kite should now present two new pseudo-documents for starting KPDFviewer", I get nothing. I know Kite is installed correctly as the screensaver.sh ran successfully and I see the 'Kite enabled' line on restart, but apart from that, I can't see any difference and no new documents are visible.

Thanks for your help, I'll pop over to official thread to try and resolve this there.
Could be a problem with alloted interval for pressing Shift-P-D.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=404

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=233

I usually use two hands or two fingers to quickly press Shift and then P.

Last edited by markom; 12-04-2012 at 11:02 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:48 AM   #29
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
As mentioned in the original thread, kindlepdfviewer-master.zip is simply the wrong archive (it's a source archive, not a released version including the compiled binary).
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #30
jackhulk
Connoisseur

Thanks guys, all sorted now, tigran set me straight, and as hawhill mentioned I had the wrong archive.