Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
Beryl
Enthusiast
Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Kindle
eReader iDevice App Missing

eReader crashed on my new iPad (3) so I proceeded to delete/reinstall. The Fictionwise eReader app is no longer on iTunes. The link on ereader.com doesn't work either.

http://www.ereader.com/ereader/softw.../sw_iphone.htm

I opened a support ticket but since I had the code on my laptop, I reinstalled and downloaded my previously purchased books.

Does anyone know what is going on with Fictionwise and iDevice support?

(A search didn't result in an applicable thread.)
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It sounds like eReader no longer works properly on the current iOS version.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
Beryl
Enthusiast
Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It appears to be working but I'll expect flakiness.

In case they don't upgrade it, I've searched and searched and can't find a thread that will tell me how to convert Fictionwise/eReader.com locked via credit card books into a format (e.g. EPUB, PDF, etc.) so that I can use another reader.

I have my credit card information and will not do anything illegal like share the book with anyone.

Caliber won't convert because of the DRM. iSilo won't open the book in a readable format so I can use PDFCreator. Am I SOL and need to wait for Fictiowise to update their software?
Old 04-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Didn't eReader end up as part of Barnes and Noble or something? Might be worth following that line, perhaps they will work with the Nook app. At the very least, if its B&N, they may have the capacity for you to download the books in an appropriate format for their reader.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Didn't eReader end up as part of Barnes and Noble or something? Might be worth following that line, perhaps they will work with the Nook app. At the very least, if its B&N, they may have the capacity for you to download the books in an appropriate format for their reader.
If you're talking about a .pdb reader, I think B&N jettisoned everything that could read the .pdb format.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
If you're talking about a .pdb reader, I think B&N jettisoned everything that could read the .pdb format.
Sounds like they are nearly as bad as amazon with their treatment of Stanza. At least the eReader site is still working, kind of. I also dropped .pdb when I started using Stanza because the latter seemed more "flexible" (for want of a better word)
Old 04-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
Beryl
Enthusiast

Good idea.

I just contacted B&N and they told me that although they bought Fictionwise, they are separate entities.

I told them that I'd like them to provide me the books in Nook format and I'd be willing to pay a SMALL fee for the privilege. I reminded them that the fee would have to be very small since if I had to pay full price, I'd buy them in Kindle format.

They said they'd escalate it to upper management.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For all their rivalry, B&N and Amazon followed similar courses in purchasing companies (Ereader/Mobipocket) to cannibalize them for parts.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Good idea.

I just contacted B&N and they told me that although they bought Fictionwise, they are separate entities.

I told them that I'd like them to provide me the books in Nook format and I'd be willing to pay a SMALL fee for the privilege. I reminded them that the fee would have to be very small since if I had to pay full price, I'd buy them in Kindle format.

I've never heard of them doing that before...it could be a new policy.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:17 PM   #10
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Good idea.

DEFINITELY sounding like how Amazon was with we Stanza users. I just did a quick search online and there seems to be a way to strip the DRM. Last time I posted a link to something like this, a mod deleted it, so perhaps (if you want to go down this path) you might like to do the same search I did, that being "strip DRM from ereader.com books" and find a hit which will take you to ebook-converter.com. It will probably be first on the page. I think lots of people have been caught out, as you have.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
Beryl
Enthusiast

Quote:
Hi,

The eReader App is no longer available at the App Store. If you have not already downloaded the eReader App and have it saved in your iTunes library on your PC then you will no longer be able to download the App from the App Store. If you have it saved in your iTunes library then you may sync the application back onto your device.

You may use the Stanza App so long as the books are not Secure eReader. Since the last update from Amazon, this new change prevents the Stanza App from opening DRM books.

The following is quoted from this Lexcycle Stanza FAQ page:
http://www.lexcycle.com/faq#3n1850

Using iTunes:

In Stanza 3.0 and higher, you can transfer your ePub, er.pdb, PDF, CBR, and DjVu book files to & from your desktop PC by iTunes by dragging files into the "Stanza Documents" part of the "File Sharing" section at the bottom of the "Apps" tab that appears when you select your iPad from the "Devices" list in iTunes. This option is only available for devices running iOS 3.2 and higher (available now for the iPad, and will be available for the iPhone and iPod in late June).

We are not the producer of the Stanza app, so we are not able to fix any bugs that the application may have.

Please note since the latest Apple upgrade to IOS 5, this may cause the eReader App to become unstable. You may try deleting the application and reinstalling it if you have it saved in your iTunes library. We do not have a solution for any fixes at this time.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and thank you for your patience.

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Lynn
eReader.com Support Team
I hope B&N provides a better alternative. My 20 Fictionwise books are all offered in Kindle format -- which I prefer.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
I hope B&N provides a better alternative. My 20 Fictionwise books are all offered in Kindle format -- which I prefer.
I dont understand... if your books are available in kindle format, can't you jsut download them in that format and use the iphone/ipod/ipad kindle app to read them? Or does the kindle app not recognise DRM kindle format file from other sources?
Old 04-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I dont understand... if your books are available in kindle format, can't you jsut download them in that format and use the iphone/ipod/ipad kindle app to read them? Or does the kindle app not recognise DRM kindle format file from other sources?
The OP is trying to avoid having to buy them again. You are correct Kindle DRM is different and not compatible with eReader.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #14
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The OP is trying to avoid having to buy them again. You are correct Kindle DRM is different and not compatible with eReader.

Dale
I wasnt suggesting kindle was compatible with ereader, but that the OP might be able to use the kindle app instead. I didnt get that she was having to buy them again to get that format. Agreed that makes no sense and is just rude, if thats the case. I just remember that in fictionwise you can download any or all of the available formats, if you have already purchased... as far as I know. I have only ever had free books from fictionwise, so purchased may be different.

[edit] Edification: The books at Fictionwise which are one format only are secure ereader, secure microsoft reader and secure adobe reader formats, and these would have to be re-purchased in a different format (I still think its rude). But, if you buy a multiformat bookyou can download any or all of the formats, and those are many and varied... to wit
Quote:
MultiFormat: Unencrypted eBooks that are available in a variety of formats for handheld devices and computers

When you purchase a MultiFormat eBook, you can download it in any or all of these 13 formats:

eReader [-er.PDB]
ePub [.EPUB]
Adobe [.PDF]
Microsoft [.LIT]
Palm Doc [.PDB]
Rocket/REB1100 [.RB]
Franklin [.FUB]
Hiebook [.KML]
Sony Reader [.LRF]
Isilo [-is.PDB]
Mobipocket [.PRC]
Kindle [.MOBI]
OEBFF Full VGA [.IMP]
OEBFF Half VGA [.IMP]

Last edited by kyteflyer; 04-12-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I wasn't suggesting kindle was compatible with eReader, but that the OP might be able to use the kindle app instead. I didn't get that she was having to buy them again to get that format. Agreed that makes no sense and is just rude, if that's the case. I just remember that in Fictionwise you can download any or all of the available formats, if you have already purchased... as far as I know. I have only ever had free books from Fictionwise, so purchased may be different.
You can only download in different formats from Fictionwise if you have purchased eBooks in mutil-format (DRM free). If the eBooks have DRM, you (since the agency model) can only get them in eReader.

Mobipocket eBooks with DRM not purchased from Amazon are not Kindle compatible as the DRM won't work with a Kindle or even a Kindle app.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote