Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-13-2007, 05:25 PM   #16
bøø
bøø began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
Can you substantiate this? Amazon.com don't sell Mobipocket books from their site (you have to go to mobipocket). Their website says that any etexts you buy from them will be kept indefinitely.

Why let the facts get in the way of a (not very) good argument?
Happened to me a couple of year ago, before I knew about the whole DRM thing (silly me) - I changed computers, wanted to read my legally purchased ebooks, but could't open them because of DRM. I contacted Amazon.com and got the message: "sorry, we don't sell ebooks anymore, can't help you".
bøø is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:35 PM   #17
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bøø View Post
Happened to me a couple of year ago, before I knew about the whole DRM thing (silly me) - I changed computers, wanted to read my legally purchased ebooks, but could't open them because of DRM. I contacted Amazon.com and got the message: "sorry, we don't sell ebooks anymore, can't help you".
Similar experience. Taught me never to buy drm'ed books that are not convertible. Good lesson at a cheap price.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2007, 08:30 PM   #18
allen.gotwald
Advocate
allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: SONY PRS-505 and Nook Color
A different angle on DRM

Here's the problem: Copyright laws. If I buy a book, at best I can hand the book to a friend and say "read this". No big deal. With e-text, I can buy one copy of a text and then email it such that eventually thousands receive it. It's like Napster a few years ago only for literature. I wouldn't mind if each purchase has a tag/license that maps the serial number to the purchaser to ensure copyright protection. But then what happens if I buy a new reader in a few years and none of my new e-text transfer because they're licensed to a different device. It's a conundrum. So, Sony has BBeB and Kindle has it's restriction. I have the SONY PRS-505 and so far have built up 127 e-books between the Sony 100 free books offer, a couple purchases, the Mobile Read site and Gutenberg. I don't like the DRM restrictions because the SONY bookstore is limited (not bad, but not great). But I understand the restriction. The only change I'd like to see for the PRS-505 is if SONY would provide mobipocket format allowance.
allen.gotwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:20 PM   #19
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
It's mainly about fear uncertainty and doubt (FUD) and that's what the companies that are selling DRM technology are counting on. Do you know thousand of people that you would trust emailing a copyright book to? No DRM technology will protect copying from happening it will just make it more difficult for the casual copying to happen. With DRM you can no longer give a copy to your friend when you're done reading the book and in five years the DRM technology might not be around any more so you can't read the book you legally purchased. If that's not important to you then DRM doesn't matter.

I compare it to the newspaper boxes that they used to have on the streets. Most of them you would put in your quarter and you could take one paper or you could take a whole stack of papers and give them to your friends. Most people would only take one. Sure some people would take the whole stack but the loss to the newspaper companies was less then paying for the paperboy to stand at the street corner.

The FUD is that someone will steal all the newspapers and put you out of business but the reality is the people who would do that can break the DRM anyway. If you can read the book it can be copied.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:38 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The people that pirate the ebooks already have the existing tools to remove/crack the DRM. So they can then distribute the ebooks. The regular folks who are not into pirating ebooks are the ones who will get screwed over. They will be stuck with DRM and limited device computability with no way to convert the content to some other format should they need to. Way to go. The people the industry are trying to stop are the ones who are unstoppable. The ones who don't need to be stopped are treated like a criminal. Makes a lot of nonsense to me.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2007, 10:42 PM   #21
schmidt349
schmidt349 is on a distinguished road

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Here's the problem: Copyright laws. If I buy a book, at best I can hand the book to a friend and say "read this". No big deal. With e-text, I can buy one copy of a text and then email it such that eventually thousands receive it. It's like Napster a few years ago only for literature.
Did you know that the concept of copyright didn't exist until the time of Queen Anne in England and literature seems to have got along just fine without it? In the age of manuscripts you just commissioned a copy of a book that either you possessed or someone else was willing to let you borrow. You didn't have to write to the author and ask permission.

Good God, imagine where we'd be now if the ancients had DRMed all their text.
schmidt349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:26 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt349 View Post
Did you know that the concept of copyright didn't exist until the time of Queen Anne in England and literature seems to have got along just fine without it? In the age of manuscripts you just commissioned a copy of a book that either you possessed or someone else was willing to let you borrow. You didn't have to write to the author and ask permission.

Good God, imagine where we'd be now if the ancients had DRMed all their text.
Copyright law became necessary when people started making a living from writing - this only became practical following the invention of the printing press. In Shakespeare's time, for example, copyright court cases were an extremely common occurence; far more so than today.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:59 AM   #23
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In Shakespeare's time, for example, copyright court cases were an extremely common occurence; far more so than today.
Didn't Shakespeare borrow heavily from existing sources (e.g. Holinshed's Chronicles)?
If he'd been constrained by the IPR rules we have today, I wonder if he'd have been able to produce the masterpieces we enjoy today
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:04 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Didn't Shakespeare borrow heavily from existing sources (e.g. Holinshed's Chronicles)?
If he'd been constrained by the IPR rules we have today, I wonder if he'd have been able to produce the masterpieces we enjoy today
Shakespeare didn't "make up" any of his stories - they all come from other sources. As you say, his history plays are largely based on Holinshed, his Roman plays on North's translation of Plutarch's "Lives", etc. He didn't copy stuff verbatim, though, he just used the stories. No problem with doing that even today. Eg Phillip Pullman's "Dark Materials" trilogy is based on Milton's "Paradise Lost".
Old 12-04-2007, 04:05 AM   #25
ashalan
Connoisseur
ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Or as Robert Greene 1592 wrote: ""Yes, trust them not, for there is an upstart crow, beautified with our feathers, that, with his Tygers heart wrapt in a Players hide, supposes he is as well able to bumbast out a blanke verse as the best of you; and being an absolute Johannes Factotum, is in his owne conceit the onely Shake-scene in a countrie."
ashalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:33 AM   #26
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Shakespeare didn't "make up" any of his stories - they all come from other sources. As you say, his history plays are largely based on Holinshed, his Roman plays on North's translation of Plutarch's "Lives", etc. He didn't copy stuff verbatim, though, he just used the stories. No problem with doing that even today. Eg Phillip Pullman's "Dark Materials" trilogy is based on Milton's "Paradise Lost".
Isn't it plagiarism?
I don't think Shakespeare could get away with today if the source was still in copyright.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:51 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No. You could go out and buy a modern English history book and write a play based on the "stories" in it. They are about real people and events, and you can't copyright something like that. As long as you just use the history book as your source of information, and don't copy the words verbatim, you'll be fine. You're just using it as a reference book - all authors do that.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:15 AM   #28
Sparrow
Wizard

There was the 'Holy Blood, Holy Grail' v 'Da Vinci Code' case which revolved around whether ideas rather than text was plagiarised, iirc.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:24 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I believe that was based on the accusation that "Da Vinci" was a "derivative work" from HBHG. The accusation was judged to be unfounded. That's the same idea that prevents you from writing your own "Harry Potter" book, for example - things like characters created by an author are "owned" by them and can't be used without permission. "Real life" characters and events aren't covered by that.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:39 AM   #30
Sparrow
Wizard

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4886234.stm
Both books explore the theory that Jesus and Mary Magdalene had a child and the bloodline survives to this day.

Mr Baigent and Mr Leigh argued that Dan Brown copied their book's "central theme".

But the judge, Mr Justice Peter Smith, said The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail did not have a central theme in the way its authors suggested.