Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
USB connector/device errors (was eReader Storage Error)i

Added - I'm going to start a new thread as this thread got sidejacked by the USB errors I was receiving. I tried to update this threads subject but it wouldn't take on the main Kobo thread listing. So ignore the following.

I had previously gotten the eReader Storage Error so I synched using the Kobo Desktop. I then did a factory reset and resynched using the Kobo Desktop so my awards are back. I then uploaded 20 or so books via Calibre.

I read some books for a day or two and then started getting the "eReader Storage Error".

I am on 1.9.5 of the firmware.

Last edited by TonyToews; 07-10-2011 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Thread sidejacked.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
I had previously gotten the eReader Storage Error so I synched using the Kobo Desktop. I then did a factory reset and resynched using the Kobo Desktop so my awards are back. I then uploaded 20 or so books via Calibre.

I read some books for a day or two and then started getting the "eReader Storage Error".

I am on 1.9.5 of the firmware.
Just curious if you tried to run a scan on the kobo using windows to find and fix any errors?
I had to do that when i disconnected by mistake duing a sync and i have over 3000 books

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now the Kobo is acting really strange. I'm sure not trusting the device much.

I hooked up the cable and hit connect to computer. It did it's thing and Windows saw the drive. Then a second or two later I got the eReader Storage Error and Windows lost the drive letter.

This is reproducible. Furthermore in between I powered off the Kobo and powered it on in hopes that this would reset things.

So I don't have a choice now but to do a factory reset before I can load any more books on it.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
TonyToews
Evangelist

After 10 or 15 minutes while still plugged in, it suddenly figured I was hooked up to the PC. And now I haven't received the eReader Storage Error message. I did run the Windows error checking and it did not find any errors

Note that I unchecked the default Automatically fix file system errors because I wanted to see the problems, if any, before Windows decides to muck things up.

15 minutes later The Kobo gave me the eReader Storage Error and dropped the drive letter in Windows.

Last edited by TonyToews; 07-10-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:37 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Sounds mechanical to me--either a loose/bad usb port on either the device or the computer or a bad cable. Such things happen.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #6
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thats possible its a bad usb port or bad cable. I set my kobo infront of the computer. attached to the usb with no weight on the cable. A broken cable or usb port could show the same symptons as you mention. I would sugest swaping the cable out. If the error persists its either the port on the kobo or the port on the computer. Slight movement would allow a break to flex thus breaking the connection to the kobo or computer. You could also test a dif device on that port and move the cable that its attached to the computer to see if it causes you to loose your connection. If its a bad port on the computer this device will loose connection as well. OR it could just be that your cable is falling loose at random due to gravity and causign the connection to break that way.

good luck

jack
Old 07-10-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
TonyToews
Evangelist

Ok, it's possible that a loose cable is causing these bizarre issues. I'll test that. However the main problem of the eReader Storage Error is still happening.

Later. I can't test that the cable is bad as this is my only device with a micro USB end. <sigh>

Even later Yup, there is a bad cable/connector. I wiggled the cable while plugged in and it lost the connection. Went around and around a few times cycling between the various messages it did.

Last edited by TonyToews; 07-10-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Ok, it's possible that a loose cable is causing these bizarre issues. I'll test that. However the main problem of the eReader Storage Error is still happening.

Later. I can't test that the cable is bad as this is my only device with a micro USB end. <sigh>

Even later Yup, there is a bad cable/connector. I wiggled the cable while plugged in and it lost the connection. Went around and around a few times cycling between the various messages it did.
Ok well try a dif device ( because your rulling out the port any usb cable such as you would use for an iphone etc would work) in that usb port if you have it and see if you can duplicate the connection issue, that should rule out the usb cable for your kobo if you can. If its the cable you may be able to have kobo send you a new cable for free. If its the usb port then simply switch the usb to a dif usb port.

good luck

jack

Last edited by jackastor; 07-10-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:45 PM   #9
TonyToews
Evangelist

That's the only device I have that uses the USB micro port.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:48 PM   #10
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
That's the only device I have that uses the USB micro port.
No you dont need a device to use the micro usb port to determin if the usb port on your computer is faulty. Any usb device will work. IF the port on the computer is bad any device you hook up to it will loose conection similiar to the touch. If it isnt the port then its most likey a faulty cable.

so to test you just use any usb device so you could use your camera for example or your cell phone or a usb drive. Either way the goal is to test the port your connected too. IF its faulty (as all the devices will use the same communications) they will all fail on that port. The way the dif usb cables connect to their respectable devices may be dif and propiatary, but they will all communicate over the same lines to the computer. does that make sense tony?
Old 07-11-2011, 03:43 AM   #11
TonyToews
Evangelist

Oh the other port. No, the host port on the PC is fine. I move all kinds of devices in and out of that port.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #12
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Oh the other port. No, the host port on the PC is fine. I move all kinds of devices in and out of that port.
Then its either the cable or the kobo. Wish you had a cable to check.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:42 AM   #13
TonyToews
Evangelist

Actually I doubt very much it's the cable or device. Today I tried to do the computer connect business so I could upload a book. The timing between the computer connect message and the shutdown of the drive letter and the appearance of the eReader Storage Error was exact several times through the cycle.

So I've done the hardware reset, lost all my books and will reload just two or three this time. I sure don't trust the device to track my reading. And Calibre can't do that either. Guess I'll just have to use my memory the way I used to pre Kobo.

A little later: Maybe it is the device/cable. I had difficulty getting the Kobo Desktop to do the syncing.

Last edited by TonyToews; 07-12-2011 at 03:49 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:01 AM   #14
TonyToews
Evangelist

I did the factory reset, did the desktop sync which downloaded one free book and I have the eReader Storage Error. It sure isn't my fault or Calibre's fault. I gotta find my receipt and it's going back.

I hooked it up to the PC and now it's showing no books at all. It's f***ed. Wait a moment. I powered it off and on and now it finds the one free book again.

And it won't stay connected to the PC long enough to upload a book now. Good thing I still have the Kobo Wifi.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Sooty had issues yesterday; storage error and then when she did the factory reset, an OOPS from the Kobo Desktop.

Did a reboot of her PC and at least all seemed to work then.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote