Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-21-2009, 12:35 AM   #1
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Hugo Novel Nominees are all ebooks

The nominees for the 2009 Hugo awards have been announced, see AnticipationSF: Hugos. The novels are all available as ebooks.

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow is a free download, and all the others are in the Kindle store. This may be a first -- only half of last years' nominees were available as ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:14 AM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
For those wanting an easily DeDRM'd (.lit) option, all the novels are available at fictionwise, except for Zoe's Story which is only in secure MobiPocket. But Sony's book store has it for .lrf users.

While they are all great reads (I am only assuming that for Anathem and The Graveyard book.. haven't read either one yet) my vote (shouldn't someone start a poll?) is for Cory Doctorow's Little Brother.

I really love that book!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:19 AM   #3
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also, nominated for Best novella is “The Ray-Gun: A Love Story” by James Alan Gardner, published in Asimov’s Feb 2008.

Great story! And available online here
Old 03-21-2009, 05:19 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
“Article of Faith” by Mike Resnick (Baen’s Universe, Oct 2008), nominated for Best short story is also available for free on-line:

http://baens-universe.com/articles/Article_of_Faith
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:34 AM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Usually all the stories in the shorter categories will be available for free at least up until the voting deadline. Sometimes it can take some time until all available.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:06 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
feedbooks has a list of Hugo Awards & Nominees as well.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
cstross
Cynic
cstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enough

Device: Lots, started with a Psion 3 circa 1998
For those of you who are attending this year's Worldcon (and therefore get to vote on the award): Scalzi will soon be announcing his regular deal, whereby you tell him your membership number and he'll email you a bundle containing those of the novels on the shortlist that the publisher's have agreed can be distributed for free to the voters.

This year you can count for sure on: "Zoe's Tale" and "Your hate mail will be graded", Cory's "Little Brother", and my "Saturn's Children" (the latter if you're resident in North America only, although I'm hoping my UK publisher will see the light and agree to join in this time round). He's got to ask permission for the others and he's at an SF convention this weekend, so no word on Neal and Neil yet. Give it a week or two, then hit on scalzi.com.
cstross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
For those wanting an easily DeDRM'd (.lit) option, all the novels are available at fictionwise, except for Zoe's Story which is only in secure MobiPocket. But Sony's book store has it for .lrf users.

While they are all great reads (I am only assuming that for Anathem and The Graveyard book.. haven't read either one yet) my vote (shouldn't someone start a poll?) is for Cory Doctorow's Little Brother.

I really love that book!
Actually, the Sony doesn't sell LRF. They only sell LRX which is the DRM version of LRF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #9
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
We are trying to get a contingent of MR's to descend on WorldCon this year. We even have a socal group, which is sadly quiescent. Here.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Cool! More "samples" to download to my Kindle. I fell in love with Gaiman's Neverworld, so eagerly look forward to reading The Graveyard Book. Downloaded Little Brother as pdf and mailed it to my kindle account for conversion and wifi sent. Looking forwarding to reading it too!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Plenty of great stories to pick up. I'm glad people actually do this, as it ends up being great publicity anyway.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:27 PM   #12
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, the Sony doesn't sell LRF. They only sell LRX which is the DRM version of LRF.
Thanks for the correction, Jon.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:51 PM   #13
BinaryTB
Connoisseur
BinaryTB is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
Cool! More "samples" to download to my Kindle. I fell in love with Gaiman's Neverworld, so eagerly look forward to reading The Graveyard Book. Downloaded Little Brother as pdf and mailed it to my kindle account for conversion and wifi sent. Looking forwarding to reading it too!
I think you meant Neverwhere, just nitpicking cause it's one of my fav Gaiman novels. But I'm looking forward to reading Graveyard Book too, it's been sitting in my Kindle, just need to finish up the short queue of books before it.
BinaryTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #14
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Anyone willing to say for whom they would vote?

The only ones I've read are Anathem by Neal Stephenson and Little Brother by Cory Doctorow. I enjoyed both books, but I don't know if I'd say either one of them are worthy of a Hugo.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:16 PM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
The three I have read I will probably vote for in the order: Graveyard Book, Little Brother's and Saturn's Children. I will probably read the Scalzi book before voting but on previous form it will be number four. Anathem is probably to long and part of a series so I will not read it and I think people have said that you should read the previous series before if you want to get all details.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote