Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Pocketbook 360° Lingvo Edition

Pocketbook further enhances the value of their 360° model. It is already known for its especially stable and fast software and its compact form. Pocketbook is very proud of the design and the mobility of this 5" device.

Thanks to its open source system, this reader can be easily customized, but is very accessible and stable even in its default status. Thanks to its hardcase cover and its reduced size, this device can be taken everywhere and looks very cool, too!! The PB360° is available in ebony and ivory tones.

From June, there will be new additional premium qualities available for the 360°: 20 Abby Lingvo dictionaries in these languages are added to the package:

KD English-Czech
KD English-Danish
KD English-Dutch
KD English-Finnish
KD English-French
KD English-German
KD English-Greek
KD English-Hungarian
KD English-Icelandic
KD English-Italian
KD English-Latvian
KD English-Lithuanian
KD English-Norwegian
KD English-Polish
KD English-Portuguese (Brazil)
KD English-Portuguese(Portugal)
KD English-Romanian
KD English-Slovak
KD English-Slovenian
KD English-Spanish
KD English-Swedish
KD English-Turkish

These dictionaries are part of the package, too:

+English-German by Freelang
+English-English by Webster

Pocketbook could arrange this package for a small surplus price: The special model Pocketbook 360° will be available for only 259€ including a leather cover from all the usual distributors.
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Hey, stop tempting me! I've been wanting a 360 ever since I got one for my mother. I don't really need it, but these dictionaries sound so good...

Do they work both ways? They translate, for example, from english to greek and from greek to english?

How good are the lingvo dictionaries supposed to be?

And will we be able to purchase the package separately, if we already own the device?

Will the dictionaries be drm'ed, or can I for example buy them for my mother to use and then transfer them to my pocketbook, if I buy one (deleting them from my mother's of course).

So many questions
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Hey, stop tempting me! I've been wanting a 360 ever since I got one for my mother. I don't really need it, but these dictionaries sound so good...

Do they work both ways? They translate, for example, from english to greek and from greek to english?

How good are the lingvo dictionaries supposed to be?

And will we be able to purchase the package separately, if we already own the device?

Will the dictionaries be drm'ed, or can I for example buy them for my mother to use and then transfer them to my pocketbook, if I buy one (deleting them from my mother's of course).

So many questions
Dictionaries don't work both ways for now, but there are explanations for every english word.

Lingvo dictionaries are up there with the best of them

Yes, you will be able to buy the pack or dictionaries individually (Those will be working both ways)

The dictionaries are drm'ed. So switching them over won't work,
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Hmm, so these dictionaries translate english to all those other languages?
It would be much more interesting for me if it was the other way round.
But I'll definitely be interested in some of the individual ones that work both ways (if I convince myself that I need a second reader and buy a pocketbook, that is).
Old 05-17-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I was wondering what you'd do with the dictionaries... well, you did the customer satisfaction overkill that Pocketbook tends to do :P

I may not be the most suited to talk, but what can current owners of an MM do to get the dics?
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
I was wondering what you'd do with the dictionaries... well, you did the customer satisfaction overkill that Pocketbook tends to do :P

I may not be the most suited to talk, but what can current owners of an MM do to get the dics?
Over time, planned to sell lingual dictionaries to be installed in all models Pocketbook. Prices are relatively low and the quality of paid dictionaries in general be higher than those which can be found free on the Internet.
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:08 AM   #7
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
What version will the English-English by Webster be? By that, I mean will it be any newer than the 1913 one currently available? I would happily pay to get a decent dictionary on my PB360.

I have to admit I have found Webster 1913 to be kind of useful when reading older books, or books set in older times. I just finished Maisie Dobbs which is set around WWI and found a couple of archaic terms in Webster 1913 that weren't in the more current Oxford dictionary. But I still want a better dictionary!

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
Patarch21
Patarch21 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Hi all,

Correct me if i am wrong, but using the dictionary converter which can be downloaded both from the american site and from the main site allows you to already convert dictionaries to be used on the pocketbook and if you do this it does not cost you anything.

I already have lingvo universal converted both en-ru and ru-en, so it does already convert both ways. Also I am sure other language dictionaries can be found to convert.

What then are the advantages to buying the drm'ed software that Pocketbook will provide. (especially if they are proctected and you will not be able to move them to different devices)

I look forward to being corrected if i have misundertood the advantages which pocketbook plan for the dictionaries.
Patarch21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
1- Conversion appears to be a non-trivial undertaking.
2- A consumer-level device like PB360 should have dictionaries that don't require tweaking or converting. If that means drm, so be it. (Other platforms with commercial dictionaries drm them too so its neither a competitive disadbantage or a crime against nature.)
It's not like you're *forced* to buy drm'ed *anything*.

3- The converter is out there for the people with the skill and inclination to do conversions.
(Judging by the very few available pre-converted dictionaries, they aren't many. Or they don't like to share. )

But relying solely on the converter shuts out people who just want to use PB360 to read. The Lingvo dicts may not be useful to everybody but they'll be useful to a *lot* of people.
Hopefully.

Last edited by fjtorres; 05-18-2010 at 04:45 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:59 PM   #10
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patarch21 View Post
Hi all,

Correct me if i am wrong, but using the dictionary converter which can be downloaded both from the american site and from the main site allows you to already convert dictionaries to be used on the pocketbook and if you do this it does not cost you anything.

I already have lingvo universal converted both en-ru and ru-en, so it does already convert both ways. Also I am sure other language dictionaries can be found to convert.

What then are the advantages to buying the drm'ed software that Pocketbook will provide. (especially if they are proctected and you will not be able to move them to different devices)

I look forward to being corrected if i have misundertood the advantages which pocketbook plan for the dictionaries.
fj is right. This is just an alternative. We won't take away the possibility to use free dictionaries.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:20 AM   #11
Patarch21
Patarch21 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360
I take the point about the dictionaries, and I understand that for some it is hard to use the converter. Would it be against the rules of the forum to set up a tread which allows people to add converted dictionaries for other people to use.

I would be quite happy to share the ones that I conerted, as long as this is not braking any las etc.
Patarch21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:33 AM   #12
omk3
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patarch21 View Post
Hi all,

Are the dictionaries you converted free or did you have to buy them in another format before converting them? If they were free, they may not be as good as the commercial ones (as up to date, or as comprehensive). If not, I don't know how easy converting is, but if I were to give my money anyway I'd prefer to buy a product already suited to my needs.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:17 AM   #13
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
Pocketbook 360 best ereader with dictionary?

I have been researching ereaders for about 2 weeks now and until today had just about decided to buy the Cybook Opus for 230 euros from Hugendubel. Now that I have heard about the coming Pocketbook with dictionaries I am wondering if this would be a better choice. I would like to have an Italian-English dictionary on board, maybe German-English as well. I know from other forums that dictionaries are available for uploading to Sony 505, for example, but I have never seen them work. Hence my questions:

1. Is the Pocketbook 360 (or the upcoming one with the dictionaries) in fact the best ereader if you want a dictionary function (Italian-English)? Or can you just upload such dictionaries to other readers as well? What is the advantage of Pocketbook in this respect?
2. How much will the new Pocketbook 369 with dictionary (-ies) cost? More than the current 239 euros? Would it be better to buy the Pocketbook now and then ad the dictionary later, or would that cost more?
3. Where (in Germany--near Kassel?) can they be seen?
4. Can the battery be replaced by the user -- this is an advantage of the Cybook Opus.
5. Are other dictionaries planned for the Pocketbook 360 (e.g., Italian or English monolingual)?
mdmorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:43 AM   #14
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmorrissey View Post
... Or can you just upload such dictionaries to other readers as well? What is the advantage of Pocketbook in this respect?
Very few readers support user generated dictionaries. Some readers do not support dictionaries at all, some come with a dictionary from manufacturer and that is it, some support dictionary that you have to purchase.

Quote:
4. Can the battery be replaced by the user -- this is an advantage of the Cybook Opus.
Yes, the battery can be replaced.

Quote:
5. Are other dictionaries planned for the Pocketbook 360 (e.g., Italian or English monolingual)?
There are quite a few dictionaries available.
Most of those are to/from Russian or Ukrainian language.
There used to be quite a few dictionaries, games, themes and other goodies at
http://bookfast.org/category/pocketbook
but the address has expired. I will try to find out where the files are hosted now.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:42 AM   #15
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
Thanks, Kacir. Some follow-up questions:
Does "replaceable" mean by the user, or do you have to send it in. (The latter is usually very expensive.)
I haven't actually seen a Pocketbook "live" yet. What is the mechanism for looking up words? Buttons to spell out the word or navigate onscreen to the word? Doesn't have a touchscreen, which I suppose would be easier.
mdmorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote