Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-27-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
SimonSays
No wire hangers, ever!
SimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-300
Question eBook authors similar to Bentley Little?

Do any of you happen to know of any authors that are write strictly ebooks, or mainly ebooks, that are similar to style in writing of Bentley Little? I have read all of Bentley Little's books which I love and am looking for something along the same lines since he doesn't have a new book out yet.

Thank you
SimonSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:19 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I haven't read any of his books.. He's in the horror genre?

I usually check literature map for ideas of new authors to check out.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2010, 01:26 AM   #3
SimonSays
No wire hangers, ever!
SimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enough

yeah horror, but kind of creepy sadistic horror. Here are two snoypsis (from B&N) from two of his books

The Store (think creepy Wal-Mart)

Juniper, Arizona, is an off-the-map desert town the retail giant called The Store has chosen for its new location. Now everything you could possibly want is under one roof, at unbelievable prices. But you'd better be careful what you wish for. This place demands something of its customes that goes beyond brand loyalty. At The Store, one-stop shopping has become last-stop shopping.
Bill Davis is the only one in town who senses the evil lurking within The Store. But he can't stop his two teenage daughters from taking jobs there and falling under the frightening influence of its sadistic manager. When Bill finally takes a stand, he will get much more than he bargained for.
At a terrifying cost....

The Resort

Stoker-winner Little possesses the uncanny ability to take everyday situations and turn them into nightmares, and this book, his most frightening since The Association (2001), showcases this talent. As the novel opens, Lowell Thurman, his wife and their three sons are checking into the exclusive Reata, an isolated resort in the Arizona desert, for a five-night off-season stay. Soon, though, unnerving encounters with strange employees, wild parties in empty rooms and bizarre sex antics in the family restaurant prompt the Thurmans, as well as other key characters, to think about leaving early. Yet the Reata's magnetic pull essentially brainwashes all the guests into believing that their odd experiences are normal. By the time people begin dying brutal deaths, the youngest Thurman boy has made a discovery that could unlock the resort's secrets, but at a high personal cost. Little weaves an explicitly repulsive yet surrealistically sad tale of everyday horror. Unfortunately, as in much of his work, he fails to credibly explain a far-fetched, major plot development. Longtime fans should be used to that by now, though, and will be forgiving

Thanks for the link. I will definitely check that out
Old 03-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
njm
njm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Book Reader PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonSays View Post
yeah horror, but kind of creepy sadistic horror. Here are two snoypsis (from B&N) from two of his books

The Store (think creepy Wal-Mart)

Juniper, Arizona, is an off-the-map desert town the retail giant called The Store has chosen for its new location. Now everything you could possibly want is under one roof, at unbelievable prices. But you'd better be careful what you wish for. This place demands something of its customes that goes beyond brand loyalty. At The Store, one-stop shopping has become last-stop shopping.
Bill Davis is the only one in town who senses the evil lurking within The Store. But he can't stop his two teenage daughters from taking jobs there and falling under the frightening influence of its sadistic manager. When Bill finally takes a stand, he will get much more than he bargained for.
At a terrifying cost....

The Resort

Stoker-winner Little possesses the uncanny ability to take everyday situations and turn them into nightmares, and this book, his most frightening since The Association (2001), showcases this talent. As the novel opens, Lowell Thurman, his wife and their three sons are checking into the exclusive Reata, an isolated resort in the Arizona desert, for a five-night off-season stay. Soon, though, unnerving encounters with strange employees, wild parties in empty rooms and bizarre sex antics in the family restaurant prompt the Thurmans, as well as other key characters, to think about leaving early. Yet the Reata's magnetic pull essentially brainwashes all the guests into believing that their odd experiences are normal. By the time people begin dying brutal deaths, the youngest Thurman boy has made a discovery that could unlock the resort's secrets, but at a high personal cost. Little weaves an explicitly repulsive yet surrealistically sad tale of everyday horror. Unfortunately, as in much of his work, he fails to credibly explain a far-fetched, major plot development. Longtime fans should be used to that by now, though, and will be forgiving

Thanks for the link. I will definitely check that out
I've only read one Bentley Little novel The Store. Aside from the horror aspects, it's absolutely hilarious and a great satire on Walmart. Very recommended. I read his collection of short stories, including "The Washingtonians", adapted for the Masters of Horror television series, about how Jefferson and the founding fathers were cannibalistic serial killers. That's good too.
njm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:22 AM   #5
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Well, I don't write as good as Bentley but I correspond with him and he's blurbed some of my books. I don't think there's ANYONE quite like Bentley. Maybe Jack Ketchum, but without the undertone of parody or social critique.

Scott Nicholson

Last edited by dreams; 04-13-2011 at 04:01 PM. Reason: removed promotional link
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2010, 12:47 AM   #6
SimonSays
No wire hangers, ever!

OMG!! You correspond with my FAVORITE author! Please tell him he has a huge fan at MR and I am turning all of my friends onto him as well (Also, do you have any idea if his book, The Store, is still be adapted into a movie?)

I have not read any Jack Ketchum, but maybe I will look into him until Bentley Little has another book out
Old 03-02-2010, 12:49 AM   #7
SimonSays
No wire hangers, ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njm View Post
I've only read one Bentley Little novel The Store. Aside from the horror aspects, it's absolutely hilarious and a great satire on Walmart. Very recommended. I read his collection of short stories, including "The Washingtonians", adapted for the Masters of Horror television series, about how Jefferson and the founding fathers were cannibalistic serial killers. That's good too.

You should definitely check out the rest of his books- Starting with The Resort, then The Association, followed by The House then The Town and continue on through the rest of them
Old 03-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #8
njm
njm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Book Reader PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonSays View Post
You should definitely check out the rest of his books- Starting with The Resort, then The Association, followed by The House then The Town and continue on through the rest of them
I want to read The Association next but going through the plots to his books, it looks like he works the same idea over and over--satirizing conformity. Is that a fair criticism? I really like what I've read so far though.
njm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:34 PM   #9
SimonSays
No wire hangers, ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njm View Post
I want to read The Association next but going through the plots to his books, it looks like he works the same idea over and over--satirizing conformity. Is that a fair criticism? I really like what I've read so far though.
No- I don't feel like he works the same idea over at all. I will say in a couple of his books though, he will make small references to previous characters, but that is about it
Old 03-02-2010, 11:51 PM   #10
Simon Wood
Addict
Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nicholson View Post
Well, I don't write as good as Bentley but I correspond with him and he's blurbed some of my books. I don't think there's ANYONE quite like Bentley. Maybe Jack Ketchum, but without the undertone of parody or social critique.

Scott Nicholson
Actually, I was going to recommend some of Scott's books as an alternative...

Last edited by dreams; 04-13-2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: removed quoted promotional link
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #11
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I usually check literature map for ideas of new authors to check out.
I've usually found some of their recommendations to be interesting, but a little bit, well, odd.

Enter Douglas Adams (Hitchhikers Guide) and the nearest match is Ann Rice!!
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:49 AM   #12
David.Niall.Wils
Author & Digital Publishe
David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How strange. So, I go to the Literature map and type myself in. They haven't have enough suggestions yet for David Niall Wilson as an author, so I'm on a list with other people they do not yet believe exist...despite hundreds of thousands of printed books ... I do not exist
David.Niall.Wils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #13
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I've usually found some of their recommendations to be interesting, but a little bit, well, odd.

Enter Douglas Adams (Hitchhikers Guide) and the nearest match is Ann Rice!!
Latest news! the nearest match to Douglas Adams is now Dan Brown.
The nearest match to Mark Twain is Dante.

They don't seem to check or update their data. There are quite a few books listed as authors and many misspelled authors, and duplicated authors.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #14
David.Niall.Wils
Author & Digital Publishe
David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not an optimal system...that's for sure.
David.Niall.Wils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #15
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bentley

I don't know about Bentley's movie action but I thought his new one, His Father's Son, is among his most cynical, yet enjoyable. The Walking is probably my favorite of his, but I haven't read them all.
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote