Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-20-2012, 03:37 AM   #1
sachin
Enthusiast
sachin began at the beginning.

Device: none
Font embedding

I tried embedding fonts to my newly created epub by using Sigil, embedded font is showing in the sigil, but when i open that epub in calibre it showing the default font but not my embedded font. And i tried reading it even on firefox add-on. there also it is not showing my embedded font it is considering other default font which are present in system.
Can anyone guess where i went wrong?
sachin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:56 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin View Post
Can anyone guess where i went wrong?
Without actually seeing your ePub it's hard to tell. There are two possible sources of errors:

1. You didn't embed the font correctly
2. The font doesn't support embedding

Some time ago, I created a very simple ePub template with an embedded font. You can download it and experiment with it.

Simply add your font in Sigil and then change the font path in the stylesheet so that it points to your font.
If your font still doesn't show up, it cannot be embedded.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2012, 04:28 AM   #3
sachin
Enthusiast

I have done everything properly and my font allows embedding. One more thing is which are all the devices i can read my font embedded epub? How can i test my font embedding on different platforms?
Old 03-20-2012, 05:08 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have done everything properly and my font allows embedding.
Since most eReaders manufacturers have licensed the mobile edition of Adobe Digital Editions, I'd recommend installing Wine and Adobe Digital Editions to test your ePub with it. (AFAIK, this can be a bit tricky, but it can be done.)
If your embedded font doesn't show up correctly in ADE, it won't show up correctly on most eReaders either. Assuming that your stylesheet is indeed coded correctly, it also means that your font cannot be embedded, even if it shows up correctly in Sigil, because ADE is way more picky than Sigil.

Quote:
One more thing is which are all the devices i can read my font embedded epub?
If it works with ADE, your ePub should theoretically work on all officially supported ADE devices and apps.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Without actually seeing your ePub it's hard to tell. There are two possible sources of errors:

1. You didn't embed the font correctly
2. The font doesn't support embedding

Some time ago, I created a very simple ePub template with an embedded font. You can download it and experiment with it.

Simply add your font in Sigil and then change the font path in the stylesheet so that it points to your font.
If your font still doesn't show up, it cannot be embedded.
I vote for your answer #1

It took me 3 tries to get it right after placing a font into the Fonts folder (remember, there are separate fonts for each weight and stroke).
there are 3 places that all need to be exactly in synch:

a) the font files themselves (remember name CASE)
b) the @font { sections must match 'a'
c) the place used ( typically in a class) font-face, font-weight, font-style

I have not played with font-decoration, but that may be another set of font files to ad to the mix

Just look at the problems with a device in this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171846

Last edited by theducks; 03-20-2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: add link
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2012, 12:59 AM   #6
sachin
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Since most eReaders manufacturers have licensed the mobile edition of Adobe Digital Editions, I'd recommend installing Wine and Adobe Digital Editions to test your ePub with it. (AFAIK, this can be a bit tricky, but it can be done.)
If your embedded font doesn't show up correctly in ADE, it won't show up correctly on most eReaders either. Assuming that your stylesheet is indeed coded correctly, it also means that your font cannot be embedded, even if it shows up correctly in Sigil, because ADE is way more picky than Sigil.

If it works with ADE, your ePub should theoretically work on all officially supported ADE devices and apps.
Thanks for your great help Doitsu, Let me install and check whether my font embedding works properly or not. Thanks for your time.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:32 AM   #7
sachin
Enthusiast

I installed ADE on windows7 and tested my newly created ebook of epub format. My font is embedded but there is problem in rendering. What can i do further? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:06 AM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
My font is embedded but there is problem in rendering
You'll have to be more specific, to get a useful answer.

For example:
- The embedded font is correctly displayed in Sigil but not ADE.
- Some characters are not displayed displayed correctly etc.

Also attach a small ePub sample of your book that has your specific problem.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:21 AM   #9
sachin
Enthusiast

I attached my sample epub here, in which two different types of fonts are embedded in two chapters using Sigil and they are showing properly on firefox add-on, calibre. but the characters are not displaying correctly on ADE(u can easily make out by taking a close look at characters). What you suggest me to edit in my CSS?
Attached Files
File Type: epub test.epub (113.0 KB, 368 views)
Old 03-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #10
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Unfortunately, ADE does not support complex languages with diacritics such as Kannada. (Diacritics are treated like separate letters and are displayed next to the base letter.)
This means that most existing commercial ADE compatible (hardware) eBook readers that haven't been adapted for the Indian market won't be able to display your ePub correctly.
This leaves only Webkit based ePub reader apps, for example, iBooks and Bluefire Reader. I also tested your ePub with the Kindle KF8 Previewer app and it seems to display your book correctly in Kindle Fire mode after I added the correct language information metadata to the ePub.
I.e. as of now, your best bets are iPhones, iPads, Android devices with Webkit-based reader apps and possibly the Kindle Fire (after ePub-to-KF8 conversion).
Old 03-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #11
Timur
Connoisseur
Timur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five words

Device: EBW1150, Nook STR
@sachin: I have tried your test.epub with Sigil, Calibre, Firefox EPUBReader addon, ADE 1.7, ADE 1.8 preview 2, and Nook STR stock reader(RMSDK based). Here are the results:

ADE 1.7: does not show diacritics properly.
Firefox EPUBReader: shows diacritics but the glyphs are slightly different compared to the other readers; also second embedded font displays the same glyphs as the first one.
ADE 1.8p2, Sigil, Calibre, Nook STR: diacritics ok; both embedded fonts seem to be working properly.
Timur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:13 AM   #12
sachin
Enthusiast

I tried converting my newly created epub to .MOBI format by using CALIBRE. But it is not showing the embedded fonts instead taking default font.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:20 AM   #13
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I tried converting my newly created epub to .MOBI format by using CALIBRE. But it is not showing the embedded fonts instead taking default font.
That was to be expected, because the standard .mobi format doesn't support embedded fonts. Only the new KF8 .mobi format does, however, AFAIK, they only recently added KF8 reading support to Calibre.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #14
sachin
Enthusiast

1) I tried it on ipad but it is taking local font instead of my embedded font.
2) And on android phone if font is present in the phone then only it 'll show properly otherwise not.
2) and the last doubt is, Total weight of epub file with embedded font is less than the total weight of the provided fonts. is it possible?(i.e. my epub is less than 0.2 MB and i provided 3 types of fonts which are more that 100 kb each)
Old 03-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Mobi does not support embedded fonts.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote