Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you use Collections?
Yes I use Collections (sometimes counts as a yes) 51 55.43%
No, I never use Collections 41 44.57%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2007, 12:18 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How many actually use Collections?

What I'm looking to find out is how many Reader users here use Collections. Sometimes would count as a YES vote.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:40 AM   #2
medavidson
medavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheese

Device: PRS500
Most definitely... I use them to group books in a series or books in a specific subject area together so I can locate them easily.
medavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2007, 12:41 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medavidson View Post
Most definitely... I use them to group books in a series or books in a specific subject area together so I can locate them easily.
Would you mind voting please?
Old 09-06-2007, 01:22 AM   #4
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
I voted no because even grouping stuff into collections doesn't reduce the size of the main book list, which is what the reader defaults to when going to the root menu. I'd really like to see something beyond the flat file structure on this device.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:37 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogg View Post
I voted no because even grouping stuff into collections doesn't reduce the size of the main book list, which is what the reader defaults to when going to the root menu. I'd really like to see something beyond the flat file structure on this device.
True when going to the book menu. But going to the Collections menu can make it easier (IMHO) to find a book you want to read or even just to find the next book in a series. Say you have all seven of The Dark Tower series. Let's say you don't have the book numbers in the title. Let's say you forget which book is which in order. In a Collection, you manually sort the books in order and when you go to the collection, it's easy to find the next book. You can even have the Collections sorted int he order you want to read your books. Like say the timeline order of the Draginriders of Pern series which is not the publication order. To me, Collections make it easier to deal with a lot of books sitting in the internal memory. Your millage may vary.
Advert
Old 09-06-2007, 01:46 AM   #6
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
I wouldn't be able to function without collections. Things need to be organized for me to wrap my brain around them. A jumbled mess just upsets me.

That being said, I don't really use them much because most of the time I'm just reading a book.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:48 AM   #7
whiteinge
whiteinge began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I wish I could use collections since I keep a lot of books on my memory card (and are otherwise meticulously organized in sub-folders). Alas, I don't use Windows.
whiteinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:45 AM   #8
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Can't be arsed to use collections, find it cumbersome. Then again, I don't use a memory card and generally only (!) have about 80 books on the reader so I don't really need to use collections.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:38 AM   #9
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
I wish that I could use collections. But they only work for books in internal memory. And since I don't use Windows (shame on you, Sony, for ignoring a modest but significant fraction of your potential market!), I would depend on libprs500's collections support... which is coming along, but not yet ready for prime time.

Not voting as there is no selection that fits my situation,
Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:28 AM   #10
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Mostly, I use them to group the e-magazines together. Sometimes I use them to group series books together, or to collect books by a particular author just to make them easier to find.

Thanks to Fictionwise, I'm also carrying around a collection title "Hugo Nominees".
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:18 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I use them to keep my books separated and in the order I wish to read them next.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:49 PM   #12
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
No, I just pop whatever in the reader when I think I may want to read it.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:46 AM   #13
coleman
Connoisseur
coleman began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablets and phones, Windows tablet, Kobo Aura One
The problem is that you very nearly have to use collections if you have more then say 10-20 books on it. Collections wouldn't be needed at all if they had hierarchical file system support (that's right, I brought THAT up again). Now that I think about it, it's pretty stupid they put the effort in making collections, and also artificially created the need for them by not having hierarchical FS support.
coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:51 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Never.

I never have more than 8 books on the reader at the same time and even this is an excess because I read only one book at time.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:53 AM   #15
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Collections are moderately useful, so I use them, but the really useful thing that Sony would be wise to implement so we do not have to go through the hack is the direct page access.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote