Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-08-2009, 09:10 PM   #16
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Does any reader software actually support oeb-page-head?
Honestly, I don't know. Never tried it. But it's in the spec.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:40 PM   #17
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Does any reader software actually support oeb-page-head?
YES!

The eBookwise 1150 and REB1200 both support running headers and footers using the 'oeb-page-head' or 'oeb-page-foot' style.

In our EBook Publisher wiki, you can find reference to sample code that will generate headers, namely:
Code:
<html>
<head>

<style type="text/css">
 header {display:none; display:oeb-page-head}
</style>

</head>

<body>

<header>
<table border="0" width="100%">
<tr>
<td align="left"><small>PUT_TITLE_HERE</small></td>
<td align="right"><small>PUT_AUTHOR_HERE</small></td>
</tr>
</table>
<hr>
</header>

<p>EBOOK_TEXT_HERE</p>

</body>
</html>
This HTML code similar to the one used by GEB Librarian or my Mobi2IMP to produce running headers. Important parts are '''header''' in <style> and '''<header>...</header>''' inclusion after <body>. You can re-use the '''<header>...</header>''' code again to redefine a new header, say for each Chapter Title. Then, to later remove headers, just use an empty pair '''<header></header>'''.

It works quite well and has been used in many commercial ebooks from Fictionwise/ebookwise.

Also, I recently discovered in this post that the 'oeb-column-number' can automatically display two column newspaper style text even though the source text in the .html is linear.

Last edited by nrapallo; 03-08-2009 at 11:44 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:11 AM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Ah, cool.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:21 AM   #19
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah, cool.
In addition, I posted here an example (with source) of using 'oeb-column-number' in an ebook conversion from PG.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:40 AM   #20
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
I tested multiple html to EPUB again but this time, instead of downloading the html pages to my PC then using hyperlinks pointing to the local files, I tried using the URL from the original site and converting the file in Calibre. I then opened the file both with the Calibre viewer and on my Iphone. In both cases, when I clicked a link, my Web browser opened and pulled up the original Web page - no EPUB book was created. It was worth a try since I already know the local links don't work. Just wanted to give you the latest results from my ongoing tests. I'm trying to provide as much detail as possible.

I just noticed that I recieved an email this this issue was fixed. I tested EPUB again and still don't get hyperlinks when using the Calibre viewer.

Last edited by Katelyn; 03-09-2009 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Addendum
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:58 AM   #21
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Just looked at the ticket that was rasied - and Kovid says it works fine if you use relative links rather than absolute links.

Last edited by itimpi; 03-09-2009 at 09:03 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:07 AM   #22
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah, cool.
I'm guessing calibre's epub viewer doesn't support it. Could we expect any future support for epub headers and footers?
Old 03-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #23
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
By Jove, I think that did it! I can now open link in the viewer and will test the Iphone later but it is working now.

Was it my misunderstanding about how to write the text file or was there a change to the EPUB configuration in Calibre?

As, always, you ROCK! I'll pass this info on.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #24
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
Was it my misunderstanding about how to write the text file or was there a change to the EPUB configuration in Calibre?
As I understand it the problem was the original file which had absolute links rather than relative links - there is no change to Calibre.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #25
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
I'm guessing calibre's epub viewer doesn't support it. Could we expect any future support for epub headers and footers?
It would be tecnically possible, but its not high on my list of priorities. Headers and footers dont really make sense in a reflowable format. The only use I can think of is to indicate what book/chapter you are currently reading
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #26
Valloric

Quote:
It would be tecnically possible, but its not high on my list of priorities. Headers and footers dont really make sense in a reflowable format. The only use I can think of is to indicate what book/chapter you are currently reading
I don't use them either. But some people swear by them, and there's no accounting for taste.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #27
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
I don't use them either. But some people swear by them, and there's no accounting for taste.
Headers/footers are a novelty, at first, and I'd rather not use them in ebooks I create and/or read.

They would be beneficial in Reference-type materials that cover a lot of different topics, i.e. with the current topic in the header. I've also seen an early Random House dictionary for the REB1200 which had the "Letter" of the section being read in the 'header'. Pretty, but not overly useful.

A 'footer' holding a TOC-like index IS quite useful though and is incorporated into my EBW1150/REB1200 Webster's Dictionary (1913).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REB1200-Random House-dictionary-headers-footers.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	25337   Click image for larger version

Name:	REB1200-Websters-Dictionary-1913-footers only.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	25338  

Last edited by nrapallo; 03-09-2009 at 02:31 PM. Reason: added images
Old 03-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #28
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
It makes much more sense in an ebook reader then in a paper book. I use headers all the time so I will learn the title (and author if it is a new author) of the book I am reading. For a paper book you will see the title every time you pick it up and therefore learn it.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #29
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
I personally love having a footer listing the current chapter. I had just came across this thread searching to see if Calibre had that functionality yet.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote