Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #1
Killian
Enthusiast
Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Recommend me a book?

I originally posted this on GoodReads though wondered if I'd get a better response on here. I've not been on this site for a good few years now but hopefully someone has an idea of some great books for me to read!

---

I'll start off by saying my list on here is not at all exhaustive. I've been reading for the past 15 years on and off and in some cases can't recall a lot of the books I have read until I see their title again.

So this is probably going to be difficult!

If you like a challenge; I'm really interested in fantasy and particularly enjoy books where a particular character who seems weak eventually becomes powerful (I know, I just really dig those scenes where they start to discover their talent!).

Think "The Magician", "The Lightbringer", "Necroscope", "The Painted Man", and probably a ton more I can't recall right now.

To give you an idea of a story I've particularly enjoyed I'd go with the Mistborn series or the Lightbringer. Also really enjoying the Demon Cycle (Painted Man) but there is a caveat.

I hate reading series that aren't complete! I was under the impression the Lightbringer was a trilogy so read the first 2 ready for the third and final chapter though descovered it's now in 4 parts! I have a terrible memory and won't recall most of what happened when I get around to the 4th (if I haven't completely forgotten about wanting to read it even!). The same with the Demon Cycle.

So; can you recommend me a book/series of books that meets that criteria? If you can you have my thanks!

----------

My list for those that have some ideas is at;

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/5889091-killian

Please feel free to make suggestions outside of my scope if you think they may appeal.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

K
Killian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #2
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Jim Butcher's 'Codex Alera' series.

For a single book, Daniel Wilson's "Amped." (though more SF than fantasy)

Last edited by Penforhire; 10-07-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:21 PM   #3
Killian
Enthusiast
Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.

Thanks Penforhire.

Just picked up the first one for my kindle and will see how I get on. Sounds interesting though.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper. There are 5 books in all and one of the main characters is a young boy in his early teens. The series is based in Arthurian mythology.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #5
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
The Repairman Jack books by F. Paul Wilson. He starts out as a pretty competent guy in human terms, but grows in his "supernatural" powers as the series progresses. Throughout the series there are a number of scenes where he realises what he can actually do and what he actually is.

I recommend it!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
Killian
Enthusiast

Thanks everybody for your suggestions so far. I'll be adding them all to my 'Want to read list' and will see how I get on.

Please keep them coming though
Old 10-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
There are two series, each with (I believe) five books, called the Belgariad and the Elenium, by David Eddings. I believe these fit your criteria though I'm not sure if they are available as e-books. The Belgariad comes first.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:47 AM   #8
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killian View Post
If you like a challenge; I'm really interested in fantasy and particularly enjoy books where a particular character who seems weak eventually becomes powerful (I know, I just really dig those scenes where they start to discover their talent!).
The Lynburn Legacy by Sarah Rees Brennan. The last book in the triology is just out. There are also a couple of free prequel short stories. Great characters, good plot, great language, and both funny and tragic. (I loved "The hundred year old who climbed out of the window and disappeared", and I see you do too, so odds are our sense of humour is similar :-) )

Quote:
A romantic Gothic mystery about a girl named Kami Glass, who discovers her imaginary friend is a real boy, Jared Lynburn. He is also one of the mysterious Lynburn family who have returned to the sinister manor on the hill that looms over her town, and who may or may not be involved in dark deeds in the woods. It’s lucky that she’s a sassy girl reporter determined to discover all the secrets that have been kept from her by the town, Jared, and her own family.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:12 AM   #9
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
It is a very long series, but the main character in the "Wheel of Time" books starts as a farm boy and rises to godlike powers. And somehow he is a master sword fighter too. His story line is all about discovering his powers.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:21 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
There are two series, each with (I believe) five books, called the Belgariad and the Elenium, by David Eddings. I believe these fit your criteria though I'm not sure if they are available as e-books. The Belgariad comes first.
That's the Belgariad and Mallorean, which are two 5-book series, the Mallorean being a sequel to the Belgariad. The Elenium in a separate, unrelated, 3-book series.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #11
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Black Magician triology by Trudy Canavan.

Quote:
This year, like every other, the magicians of Imardin gather to purge the city of undesirables. Cloaked in the protection of their sorcery, they move with no fear of the vagrants and miscreants who despise them and their work-—until one enraged girl, barely more than a child, hurls a stone at the hated invaders...and effortlessly penetrates their magical shield.

What the Magicians' Guild has long dreaded has finally come to pass. There is someone outside their ranks who possesses a raw power beyond imagining, an untrained mage who must be found and schooled before she destroys herself and her city with a force she cannot yet control
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:25 AM   #12
Durant212
Durant212 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Reading Recommendation

Hi,

I've been reading from author Ryan Holiday's book list for the past few months. I highly recommend it.

You can check it out here
http://www.ryanholiday.net/giveaways...way/?lucky=442

Hope it helps!
Durant212 is offline   Reply With Quote