Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #106
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
At least you got it sorted. Although people should try the "correct" method first

nice one
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:58 AM   #107
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
At least you got it sorted. Although people should try the "correct" method first

nice one
Which one is the "correct" method?
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #108
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

not hard resetting before uninstalling.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:09 AM   #109
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Quote:
Whispersync for voice may be the only change... who knows.

I have my tin hat on thank you very much.

# Start updatewait in background and exit
# ${_UPDATE_WAIT} &
# msg "Started ${_UPDATE_WAIT}" I
msg "Auto updates are disabled, exiting..." I
exit 0
Hi twobob,

assume this are the commands to be run in cmd after ssh. Just to make shure I am right.
Have several request to "switch off" OTA from people having german localisation on their K3 and do not want to upgrade to 3.4 because localisation is not working on 3.4. Nervertheless they get the annoying update efforts of the K3.
An easy way to build a *.bin for noobs? Most would not like to go via ssh on their K3s, having no clue what to do there and in fear they brick it.
THX
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #110
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
Hi twobob,

assume this are the commands to be run in cmd after ssh. Just to make shure I am right.
Have several request to "switch off" OTA from people having german localisation on their K3 and do not want to upgrade to 3.4 because localisation is not working on 3.4. Nervertheless they get the annoying update efforts of the K3.
An easy way to build a *.bin for noobs? Most would not like to go via ssh on their K3s, having no clue what to do there and in fear they brick it.
THX
No, those are not commands for the user to enter.

That is a snippet of a script file, indicating the changes to be made to it.

@twobob: What was the name of the script you quoted?
@diba: With ssh access to the system files, just grep for it (and post the file's name here).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #111
twobob

cripes... I'll read back and check

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob
(few posts later)

Line 42 - 47 /usr/bin/process_update

Quote:
# Start updatewait in background and exit
# ${_UPDATE_WAIT} &
# msg "Started ${_UPDATE_WAIT}" I
msg "Auto updates are disabled, exiting..." I
exit 0
fi
AFIACT that does the job... Manual updating would still work should you choose to.

Last edited by twobob; 10-18-2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:10 AM   #112
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

THX, found the file on my K3 with 3.4 as well, modified as outlined by twobobs quote. K3 is starting w/o any problems.
What I will do this afternoon is manipulation my wifes K3 with german localisation and on 3.3 (while she is somewhere else ;-)) and test if OTA is trying to update.

So if I may kindly ask, is there someone who would make a simple *.bin for doing this? I got my karma for other things than creating *.bin files, apologize for asking for this favour for the benefit of others, who are not able/willing to ssh and doing this themself.

AddOn: "# Start updatewait in background and exit" is already # in the original file.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:31 AM   #113
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Quote:
not hard resetting before uninstalling.
Sorry for lazy reply. Anyway, ah, gotcha. Would have preferred that, but nothing I could have done but a hard reset. Oh well. No issue now.
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #114
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
AddOn: "# Start updatewait in background and exit" is already # in the original file.
As it should be, that is a comment about what that part of the code does, not a command to do something.

Making an auto-change thing:
Put both files (under two names, the old one append ".old") in the same directory ;
diff -u filename.old filename ;
save the result as filename-something_distinctive.patch ;
write an "install" script that includes the command:
patch -p0 < filename-something_distinctive.patch

Automate as desired.
(the un-instal would be: patch -p0 -R < filename-something_distinctive.patch)

see the manual entry:
man patch
or google for the same.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #115
diba
Addict

THX, even if I am not clear how exactly to write this thing, I will try. Actually for me, I have made mine updateproof with WinSCP and modifying manually. But I assume, after giving the hint how some could avoid the updateprocess, I will get requests to provide help ...
Anyhow, if one of my distinguished friends fells a need to support me, feel free ;-), and I am looking at the german speaking community here ...
Old 10-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #116
knc1
Going Viral

It would be a two line script file.
A real good introduction to *nix shell scripting.
Everybody has to start somewhere, sometime.
Just start a new thread for your "disable updates" project, post what you do, ask for help with what you have trouble with.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #117
wakajawaka
wakajawaka began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Hello:

I would be very interested in a method to avoid auto-updates as well. It's my dad's kindle and he has the localisation mod for spanish menus, we would like to keep it like that.
wakajawaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #118
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakajawaka View Post
Hello:

I would be very interested in a method to avoid auto-updates as well. It's my dad's kindle and he has the localisation mod for spanish menus, we would like to keep it like that.
This updates provider hack worked for me as of 3.3 (it kept me from updating to 3.4 until disabled it).
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #119
diba
Addict

the localisation prevents the update, it is failing, so no worry. It is the process as such, which is annyoing. But if you do what is described some post above, even the effort to update is off.
No idea if the provider hack still really works, had it until 3.2, but removed it ..., in the OP there is a statement, that it is not valid since jb for 3.1 any more. Anyone more infos about?
Old 10-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #120
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Quote:
No idea if the provider hack still really works, had it until 3.2, but removed it ..., in the OP there is a statement, that it is not valid since jb for 3.1 any more. Anyone more infos about?
As I mentioned, it worked for me. I was on 3.3 and forgot to enable Amazon updates before trying to install 3.4 and was unable to update. After I enabled Amazon updates, the 3.4 update installed. As far as using the hack along with the 3.1 jailbreak goes, it's not that the hack is invalid, but rather that it's redundant because the 3.1 jailbreak has this functionality built-in. However, I used the 3.2.1 jailbreak myself since my Kindle originally came with 3.2.1, and in the 3.2.1 jailbreak thread, this post by yifanlu seems to imply that the 3.2.1 jailbreak doesn't have the option to block Amazon updates, so I installed the updates provider hack to make sure that Amazon updates were blocked.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3.4, kindle 3, ota, updates