Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #16
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I thought very seriously of choosing a work that got many votes but still lost. However in the end I decided to select a wonderful novel by Jane Austen that would be unlikely to ever get into a short list.

I propose Jane Austen’s Mansfield Park.

Mansfield Park is the first of Austen’s mature novels considering that both Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice are elaborations of lost earlier works {"Elinore and Marrianne" and "First Impressions" respectively}. Yet it is probably the least read.

There are a number of features which make this novel stand out as a masterpiece--albeit a flawed gem. This is the only work in which Austen portrays life in the lower classes and she does so with realism and vigour. Her writing is quite subtle and she makes use of significant symbolism and inter-textuality to develop her themes--these also set this novel apart from her other works. The characterisation is very sharp and a dark ambiguity pervades the plot in a way unmatched until Persuasion.

What makes this a flawed work would seem to be that Austen’s creative process was so powerful that the novel took on a life of its own and began moving down paths that she possibly found uncomfortable. This is very apparent in her treatment of Mary and Henry Crawford in the book and the creative decisions of Jane Austen in working these characters into the tapestry of the novel.

All this makes Mansfield Park a fascinating work to explore. It deserves to be better known than it is.

It is available free of charge from PG and many other sources.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 08-05-2012 at 07:53 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #17
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Do we wait for sun surfer's ruling on this?

Or can I get going?
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #18
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's literature. I would probably pass on reading it. I read Pride and Prejudice and while I can admire Austen's work, it just isn't subject matter that appeals to me.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #19
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I'm afraid I'm with HIMS. I can admire the work from afar, but it just doesn't float my boat. I knew issy would be raring to go, though .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I haven't read MP in decades, and I remember how irritating I found some of the characters. It's not a happy book in the way P&P or Emma are. I expect to read it with a lot more appreciation now--aging's good for some things!

In defense of Mansfield Park, Nabokov, who had no use for the rest of Austen's works, still thought it was a great novel.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #21
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I read Pride and Prejudice twice thinking a second read would help me appreciate it more, but I'm still not a fan of that book. However, I liked Persuasion better. I am willing to give Mansfield Park a try. Thanks, fantasyfan!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #22
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I haven't read MP in decades, and I remember how irritating I found some of the characters.
I suspect that they are the same characters I found irritating. But perhaps that's why the novel is so oddly fascinating.

Bookworm girl wrote:
"I am willing to give Mansfield Park a try. Thanks, fantasyfan!"

You're welcome! I personally think there are many memorable moments in this novel.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 08-05-2012 at 02:29 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #23
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Mansfield Park it is! I'll start the discussion thread soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I have a few possibilities in mind, and I'll probably post the choice tomorrow and Sun surfer can rule on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Do we wait for sun surfer's ruling on this?

Or can I get going?
fantasyfan, I wasn't worried about what any of you would've picked, and issybird, you can get going on it! The confirmation is really only just a fail-safe now that we don't vote on the lottery pick anymore, to prevent say 50 Shades of Grey somehow being chosen. (although that would be quite a discussion )
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #24
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
...to prevent say 50 Shades of Grey somehow being chosen. (although that would be quite a discussion )
That's what I would have nominated. A legend in its own lunchtime.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #25
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
That's what I would have nominated. A legend in its own lunchtime.
Well, there's always next time.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #26
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I shall join in on this too, as I have only read MP once before, many years ago and agree it deserve to be revisited.

Good choice, fantasyfan!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:52 AM   #27
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
uhu, I read it once during my Austen period, and it is the one I liked least - so glad to have a chance to have another go, or at least follow the discussion!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote