Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2006, 09:44 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Is Sony already out of Readers?

This week Sony sent a seismic shocker (a good one) across the e-book landscape when they finally announced the launch of the Sony Reader. And apparently they've grossly underestimated demand for they were now forced to push back US shipments to mid-November.

Sony, cannot you see the hungry masses here?

Related: Poll: How many Sony Readers were sold the first day?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:05 AM   #2
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I hope this doesn't involve the one's they've shipped to their Sony Store's.

(I called two Sony Store's in my area and both said they had Readers en route)
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2006, 11:39 AM   #3
Frogsmasha
Connoisseur
Frogsmasha began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosst Amojan
I hope this doesn't involve the one's they've shipped to their Sony Store's.

(I called two Sony Store's in my area and both said they had Readers en route)
Nice Avatar.

I remember that episode of Twilight Zone very well.
If I were that man I would do my best to scour the lands to find a pair of reading glasses that were usuable, but with the rubble, I doubt it.
Frogsmasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:46 AM   #4
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Yeah I just put that up when I seen this thread.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:58 PM   #5
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
D'oh :-(

Just got an email that I would be unable to purchase the Reader until mid-November :-(

Now to decide whether or not to pay the extra cost at a Borders or similar... :-(
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2006, 02:02 PM   #6
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Bingle-- "Now to decide whether or not to pay the extra cost at a Borders or similar"
What extra cost? Aren't Borders, Amazon and the BM sony store selling at the same price?
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:03 PM   #7
Vash
Vash began at the beginning.

Device: Dell axim x30
egah!

Ordered last night and forgot to check my order status. Just checked
Est Shipping date 11/02........ buggeriffic
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:51 PM   #8
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by flumbo
What extra cost? Aren't Borders, Amazon and the BM sony store selling at the same price?
I'm a Sony employee, and I tried to order through the company at a discount. Joke's on me though ;-P
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:00 PM   #9
each
Connoisseur
each has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 650/iRex iLiad
Damn, really regret not to order online as soon as possible, I just went to my local SonyStyle store on my way home, they said it would be on display in couple of weeks.
each is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:49 PM   #10
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
I'm a Sony employee, and I tried to order through the company at a discount. Joke's on me though ;-P
I used to work for Sony. Anything new that's remotely popular isn't available to employees for several months. 'Course once it's discontinued the employee store is full of them.

I just checked the Amazon link posted in another thread-- not listed any more. Grrrrrr!
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:59 PM   #11
Otter
Connoisseur
Otter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-500, PRS-505, PRS-650, ipod Touch, ipad 2, NC, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by flumbo
I just checked the Amazon link posted in another thread-- not listed any more. Grrrrrr!
Wow, that was fast! Did anyone here actually order one from them before it disappeared?
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:05 PM   #12
Kosst Amojan
Addict

Christ, I'll have to call the Sony stores in my area again tomorrow to see if they wern't lying to me about getting the Readers in on Sunday.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:07 PM   #13
bugsbunny14
Connoisseur
bugsbunny14 began at the beginning.

i placed an order on amazon and then received this email

se the thread

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...?t=7721&page=4
bugsbunny14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:59 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Perhaps there's more to this than we're considering -- here's what I'm thinking:

Sony may not just have one great big warehouse in San Diego that they're feeding both direct orders and retailer consignments out of. It makes more sense to me that they'd have a smallish stockpile for their direct orders, and the retail consignments would come from someplace else (wherever the great big warehouse actually is). And those two processes may not be on the same time-table.

So it may be that we've burned through the initial stockpile for direct orders, and the retail channel is completely unaffected.

Before you pan me for being too optimistic, remember that I was the only one saying that "in time for the Holidays" didn't mean New-Year's Day.

I think everyone will agree (however grudgingly) that they've made it out in time for the Holidays. I know it's tough to be patient and see how the roll out actually rolls out, but there's not really any other choice. Maybe their actually making this launch earlier than most folks would concede that they could, ought to buy them a bit more than three days' time to get the supply flowing fully before we eviscerate them for it?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:11 PM   #15
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Based on the various dates I've seen people posting from their status pages I'm pretty impressed with Sony's logistics so far. They seem to have already programmed more product into the pipeline on a two week cycle.

It will be interesting to see how quickly their pipe can be expanded based on the demand presented so far. With the way iRex is looking these days I might need another unit or two for Christmas...
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote