Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 12:17 AM   #1
fountainofbeauty
fountainofbeauty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Smile How do I download newspaper sub via usb?

Hi,
I just (JUST!) got my Brand new Kindle - birthday and Christmas present all rolled into one :-) I am so excited and I had pre-purchased couple of books, found them in the archived section of the kindle and they downloaded straight away.

I then purchased a subscription to the NY Times which I love but when I try to download it, it wants me to turn the wireless on but I don't want to spend $4.99 a week to do this when I am perfectly happy connecting to my laptop to download content.

I have tried to search the forums but haven't found the answer to this question - maybe I didn't use the right search terms?

In any case, if anyone could help with this, that would be great.

Thanks so much,
Meryl
fountainofbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:05 AM   #2
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 4, iPhone 4
I think I might be confused on what you're trying to describe, but...

If you mean you subscribed to the NY Times' Kindle version, then you will HAVE to turn on your wireless to receive your copy each day. The subscription price is not for the wireless activity (the wireless is free on the Kindle), but for the content itself.

If you meant you subscribed to the physical or online versions of the NYT, then that's an entirely different story and I don't know how you could get your content on there.

But anyway, when you order something for your Kindle, the delivery via wireless connection on your Kindle is free. If you bought a subscription for the New York Times' Kindle Edition, then just turn the wireless on or you won't get what you paid for and you'll be throwing your money down the drain.
HaggisMacJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 03:14 AM   #3
fountainofbeauty

I don't think that will work in Australia :-(

Hi Haggis,
Love the avatar! :-)
I am in Australia and if I need to pay $4.99 a week to download the NY Times, I don't think it will be worth it.
I also got the books that I had purchased earlier and they charged me $1.99 to put each one of them onto the kindle which seems a bit unfair to me!
How do I do this via the computer - I know that for books at least, I should be able to but the little information booklet that came with the Kindle didn't give me any information and the wirless was on automatically so I didn't even realise that was what I was doing (the Kindle was connected via USB to the computer at the time).
I really appreciate your quick response on this - thanks!

All the best,
Meryl
Old 12-22-2009, 05:32 AM   #4
David Porter
David Porter began at the beginning.

Answer in 3 Parts-when your kindle is outside the US:
For the subscription version of new york times-you have to pay the roaming charges whatever they might be. You cannot download the subscription version via USB on to your Kindle.
For the one off edition of the new york times - for which there is a 50c premium you can download via USB on to your kindle
For books purchased in the Kindle store you can download via USB on to your kindle. Therefore avoiding the $1.99 charge.

My advice is to use the software called calibre(don't know which platforms this is available for-certainly available for the Mac) which downloads many newspapers and their headlines for free. Connect your kindle via USB and it downloads them to your kindle. I would google the word calibre and your will find the download site. I think I am right in saying that calibre has a forum on this very site if you are stuck.

Good luck.
David Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Porter View Post
My advice is to use the software called calibre(don't know which platforms this is available for-certainly available for the Mac) which downloads many newspapers and their headlines for free.
But not the New York Times, unfortunately, as that requires a paid-for subscription. You can get a feed to something called "New York Times Top Stories", but that's only a fraction of the available content.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
fordan
fordan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
You absolutely can download individual issues via USB. Go to Amazon.com, Your Account, Manage Your Kindle, scroll to the Your Active Kindle subscriptions section, click the plus icon on the left side of what you've subscribed to, and click "Download to Computer." Moving it to the Kindle is left as an exercise for the reader.

You can select back issues from your subscription to download, but only for a little way back. Right now with the Philadelphia Inquirer I can only go back to December 8
fordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
David Porter
David Porter began at the beginning.

Now I am confused

So if I follow you correctly Fordan, if you turn off the wireless the newspaper will not download and you will not incur the out of US roaming charges. Then you download whichever newspaper via USB. Or Am I misunderstanding this as a newbie?
David Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
fountainofbeauty

Hi David, Mike and Fordan,
Thanks to you all so much and also for the pointer to calibre which this news junkie is planning on getting straight away (is it possible to find a site where I can download an extra 18-24 hours in a day so I can read this all? LOL)

Here is what Kindle support wrote to me (very promptly too!) last night Oz time when I asked them the same question. It looks like fordan is right which is wonderful and I will keep my monthly subscription to the paper that makes me feel homesick every day!

To download your Kindle subscriptions from Amazon.com, please visit the Manage Your Kindle page at http://www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle and locate the subscription you wish to download in the "Your Active Subscriptions" section. Click on the + sign on the left of the title and you should then see the details for your subscription. There will be a drop-down of the past issues available to download. Click on "Download to Computer" after selecting the issue of your subscription you wish to transfer to your Kindle.

So, exactly what you said fordan. Also, they said that they are planning on releasing a Kindle for the MAC software soon (though why read on the mac when I can sit on the lounge with a cuppa and read in comfort?) and if this interest anyone, there is a link to a place where you can register your interest and they will let you know once it's released.

For any other Apples out there, the link is http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000464931

Thank you all again and thanks to Amazon for being so responsive - loving my Kindle!

All the best,
Meryl
Old 12-22-2009, 10:43 PM   #9
fordan
fordan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Porter View Post
So if I follow you correctly Fordan, if you turn off the wireless the newspaper will not download and you will not incur the out of US roaming charges. Then you download whichever newspaper via USB. Or Am I misunderstanding this as a newbie?
Can't speak definitely to Amazon's billing outside the US and when they choose to charge you; my Kindle 2 is the Sprint CDMA US-only version so I couldn't roam even if I wanted to. But I did use this method to pull down my newspaper while travelling in Fiji back in May.

I would assume they wouldn't charge you if they don't actually deliver it wirelessly, though.
fordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:23 AM   #10
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Delighted to hear you've got it sorted, Meryl. I hope you enjoy your reading.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
download, subscriptions, via usb