Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-30-2007, 04:48 AM   #1
chunkabacon
chunkabacon is on a distinguished road

New eBook Search Engine using Google Technology

Hi there,

sorry for posting this in this forum, but i couldn't find a better place for it.

I wanted to recommend you eBook Searchr, a new e-book search machine based on Google's Custom Search Engine technology? The search machine scans more than 100 selected ebook sites, which all contain free e-book downloads. Non-ebook sites will not be considered, i.e. only the relevant sites will be found (contrary to a normal google.de search). You get the best search results if you enter the complete title of the book, e.g. “Beginning Ruby on Rails”, but “Harry Potter” is fine as well.

Best regards,
chunky bacon

http://ebooksearchr.googlepages.com

Last edited by chunkabacon; 05-31-2007 at 11:18 AM.
chunkabacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:44 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
This is an excellent place for this post, chunkabacon.

Thanks for pointing it out, and welcome to MobileRead.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
Hi

I've been doing this for a couple of months now.
check out my site: DigitalReading Search

Welcome for the competition!

On DigitalReading Search you can easily search the entered keyword on Google book Search and MS Live Book search as well as on LibraryThing.

I'm currently working on taking it to the next level...

On the cons side... my list of ebook sites is shorter, I don't have a 125 sites in my list. I opened it up for contributors though -- from the beginning.

MobileReaders? What do you suggest? Should we join forces or compete and thereby develop new and new features?
sic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

oh... I almost forgot. You can add DigitalReading Search to your browser's Search box, so you'll always have a quick and easy way to search for ebooks.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:15 AM   #5
chunkabacon

hi NatCh,

thanks for the hearty welcome

The site is still pretty new and unknown. If you folks here like it I would be glad if you could spread the word, e.g. link it from your site, write a small blog post about it or just digg it .

If you are interested i can post a small html snippet here which you can use to integrate eBookSearchr search into your blog/website.

EDIT:
here are some html snippets which show how to inlcude eBook Searchr in your website/blog. For example, the search-box (fits perfectly in the sidebar of a blog) looks like this:

best regards,
chunka

Last edited by chunkabacon; 05-31-2007 at 07:20 AM.
Advert
Old 05-31-2007, 08:47 AM   #6
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkabacon
You get the best search results if you enter the complete title of the book, e.g. “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows”
That's an unfortunate example.

1 - The book isn't even out yet, so anything found on this search is going to be bogus, as in, a fake

2 - We know there won't be a legal ebook, so I can't think of a better way of shouting "go here for pirated copies!" Are you really looking to get shut down that fast?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:56 AM   #7
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Well the results weren't really relevant with the few keywords that I've tried...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:58 AM   #8
chunkabacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami

1 - The book isn't even out yet, so anything found on this search is going to be bogus, as in, a fake

2 - We know there won't be a legal ebook, so I can't think of a better way of shouting "go here for pirated copies!" Are you really looking to get shut down that fast?
Dear neko,

thanks for the hint. I didn't know that Harry Potter isn't out yet, so that example was indeed very unfortunate (I changed it to a programming ebook for now, maybe you know a better title which is 'hot' right now but already available).

So, the search engine indeed searches through sites that contain not really legal content as well. The idea was to search any site related to ebooks and to provide ANY source where you could possibly find the desired title. We are right now in the progress of adding the big commercial stores as well as the smaller stores who are selling their ebooks totally legal.

Still you have the option to search only the commercial stores or free public domain books, simply click the Commercial or FreeBooks category after issuing the search, then shouldn't be any illegal titles in the results. Alternatively, you can directly add the "more:commercial" or "more:freebooks" to your search query, e.g. "Harry Potter more:commercial"

Btw: what are the "big" ebook stores that should be added to the search engine, besides ebooks.com, ereader.com and fictionwise.com? I'd be glad to add them as well as the smaller stores, any suggestions welcome.

@hadrien: if you have some places/stores in mind where you usually find the titles you were looking for I'd be glad to immediately add them.

-chunka
Old 05-31-2007, 11:46 AM   #9
sic
Addict

Hey guys,

DigitalReading Search is also embeddable to any webpage - though you'd have to contact me first.
I used Google's AJAX Search to do the embedding - which is way better than the search box that ebooksearchr is using.

Check it out on the More tab.

The advantage of this approach is that you can combine search results from the custom search engine with results from Google's own book search.

I suggest ebooksearchr implements the same!
Old 05-31-2007, 12:07 PM   #10
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
both are a step in the right direction, free books, no drm
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:08 PM   #11
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sic
Hey guys,

DigitalReading Search is also embeddable to any webpage - though you'd have to contact me first.
I used Google's AJAX Search to do the embedding - which is way better than the search box that ebooksearchr is using.

Check it out on the More tab.

The advantage of this approach is that you can combine search results from the custom search engine with results from Google's own book search.

I suggest ebooksearchr implements the same!
Just tried DigitalReading Search again: got better results than on ebooksearchr. Your sources are more accurate I guess...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:56 PM   #12
chunkabacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic

looks like competition

well, intermingling the search results using the google ajax api is nice!
no, we don't do it here at eBook Searchr for now

EDIT: hmm... for some reason my 2 previous replies to neko did not appear yet, guess they are stuck in the moderation queue. Strangely, this post appeared immediately without being moderated. Is it because the two previous replies were more verbose and therefore wait for moderation?

ok, then i'll try again here... first thanks neko for the hint!

Quote:

1) yes, this was indeed very unfortunate. I didn't know that the new Harry Potter title is not officially out yet. Changed the previous post to some programming ebook and a generic Harry Potter search.

2) the intent of eBook Searchr is to find ANY source for the ebook title you are searching, no matter if from an official bookstore or from other more or less legal sources. However, you can restrict your search to the official ebook stores by clicking the Commercial category after you issued the search, or you can search only "alternative" sources by clicking the NonCommercial category.

(alternatively you can search directly in official bookstores only by adding the "more:commercial" keyword to your search, e.g. “Eragon more:commercial”)

@uncleduke: agree!

@hadrien: by now I added several more official bookstores, maybe the results are better now. I guess we (ebooksearchr + digitalreading) are both adding more sources constantly, any suggestions are highly appreciated!

-chunka

Last edited by chunkabacon; 06-01-2007 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:57 AM   #13
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkabacon
2) the intent of eBook Searchr is to find ANY source for the ebook title you are searching, no matter if from an official bookstore or from other more or less legal sources. However, you can restrict your search to the official ebook stores by clicking the Commercial category after you issued the search, or you can search only "alternative" sources by clicking the NonCommercial category.
Yes, I understand that. I just think using an example known to be available only via illegal means sends an... interesting... message about your site, and may result in attention of a kind you won't like much.

Edit: you do realize that there are no legal Harry Potter ebooks, right? I recommend using "Eregon" as a search instead, or some other book that is at least available in legal ebook form.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:58 PM   #14
chunkabacon

Quote:
Yes, I understand that. I just think using an example known to be available only via illegal means sends an... interesting... message about your site, and may result in attention of a kind you won't like much.

Edit: you do realize that there are no legal Harry Potter ebooks, right? I recommend using "Eregon" as a search instead, or some other book that is at least available in legal ebook form.
Hi neko,

thanks again for the hint. No, indeed I did not realize that there are no legal Harry Potter ebooks (I'm more into technical ebooks). I'll change it right away, thx.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:44 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why are both sites searching Warez/torrent sites for books? Since both sites include stolen books in the searching, I'd say for an admin to remove this thread.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote