Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-08-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
*Angie*
Bookish
*Angie* doesn't litter*Angie* doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS-300
Frustrated with how Calibre organizes. Anything I can do?

I have a pretty extensive collection of ebooks saved on my computer (I used to read them on my old Palm handheld). Now that I'm getting a Sony Reader, I downloaded Calibre and am trying to get my books converted to the correct format. I'm loving how well the program converts the files and allows me to update the meta information, but the way it's saving/organizing my books is driving me bananas. I think maybe I might be slightly OCD or something

On my computer, I have my books organized in folders like this:

Documents>ebooks>author>series>title(numbered)

Calibre, however, is organizing them like this:

Documents>ebook Library>author>each individual book title in a folder >each individual book in each format

Now, I don't care so much that it's like that on my hard drive, because technically I should be able to just access them directly from the Calibre program as opposed to searching through my hard drive, right? Sure, except the software doesn't seem to be organizing the books at all. They seem to stay listed in the order I added them to the program from my computer. For example, if I search for a particular author, it lists all their books but they're all in random order, the series' are all mixed up, etc. I think it might just drive me bananas!

I noticed there is a save template portion in the preferences, which seems like it might possible have something to do with it? I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
*Angie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Easy peasy........if I understand you correctly.

I have mine sorted by series, in chronological order also....here is what I do.....

In front of each title I put "1", "2" etc. Now, under 'edit meta data', see where it says 'series? Enter the total number of books in that series...if you don't know the total, go to
www.fantasticfiction.com
enter your author, and you'll see.

Once you've entered "10", or however many books there are, you can enter which number this particular book in the series it is......book 1, 2, etc.

Do this for all the books in the series, then click (at the top) "series" then "author"........this should put them in the correct numerical order.

when I load mine on my Kindle, as long as I load them in the proper order, they show up in the proper order.

Hope I've understood you correctly, and that this helps.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 03:35 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Angie* View Post

Now, I don't care so much that it's like that on my hard drive, because technically I should be able to just access them directly from the Calibre program as opposed to searching through my hard drive, right? Sure, except the software doesn't seem to be organizing the books at all. They seem to stay listed in the order I added them to the program from my computer. For example, if I search for a particular author, it lists all their books but they're all in random order, the series' are all mixed up, etc. I think it might just drive me bananas!
That will be because at that poijnt the sort order is the "Date Added" field! This makes a lot of sense as you are most likely to want to do something with the most recently added books. You can click on the column headers to sort by any other field. In theory when you exit Calibre it is meant to remember the last sort order that you used, but I do not have much joy with that on the latest releases although I am sure it was working at one point. As I nearly always want the default of "Date Added" it is not something I have looked at any further.

You can click on the "Tag" icon at the bottom right of the screen to get a more heirearchical view.

You can also use the Filter capability to limit the books shown to particular criteria.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:58 PM   #4
*Angie*
Bookish
*Angie* doesn't litter*Angie* doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS-300
Thank you, both of you!!! I've got it figured out now, I appreciate your advice!
*Angie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Good for you~ I know that was one of my big bugs when I first started loading to the K.

Books MUST be in proper order, by author, then by series number.

But.......thats just me!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
AbominableDavid
Enthusiast
AbominableDavid began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I've got a similar question that I'm hoping to get some help with.

I don't really care all that much about how Calibre orders my books on my hard drive - if I want to know what order to read "The Chronicles of Prydain" on my computer, I can just check Wikipedia. However, if I'm reading on my PRS-505 away from any computer and I want to start that series of books, is there any way to tell on the PRS-505? I've got the series and booknumber metadata set up in Calibre, but the PRS-505 seems to sort collections by the date and time they were added, or some other means of sorting.

edit: Oops. Perhaps I should ask my question in the PRS-505 forum. I'll ask over there, instead.

Last edited by AbominableDavid; 09-19-2009 at 05:52 PM.
AbominableDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:35 PM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I simply make sure that if I have a series they are sorted in that order in Calibre before I add them to PRS-505. That way they appear in the correct order on the PRS-505 as well because, as you have discovered, books that show up in a Collection (which is what a Series becomes) are shown in the order added..
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #8
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
If you fill in the series and number in series fields, Calibre produces a Collection for the series with books sorted in the numerical order from the number in series field.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote