Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-28-2009, 02:53 AM   #1
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Do you remember....?

Let's wax nostalgic in this thread. Do you remember the Y2K bug? Wasn't that fun!
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:05 AM   #2
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
Let's wax nostalgic in this thread. Do you remember the Y2K bug? Wasn't that fun!
Ah yes and I remember when operating systems were screens with green text and no grpahics...... sweet days
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2009, 03:29 AM   #3
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Amber for me, mostly.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:30 AM   #4
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peverel View Post
Ah yes and I remember when operating systems were screens with green text and no grpahics...... sweet days
I'm afraid I'm too young to remember that myself (except after the fact). But I do remember when GUIs were B&W. And I do not mean grayscale. Just black pixels and white pixels. I also remember the old CD-ROM drives that had a removable tray. And I think there is a 5 1/4 hard drive lying somewhere in the garage.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:52 AM   #5
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I remember when Paddle Pops were 15 cents.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Do you remember when people actually wrote letters and mailed them with real stamps on them, and they cost less than 10 cents?
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh! Oh!
Do you remember when telephones had cords on them and you could only walk as far as the cord would let you?

(I have a whole box of them with really long cords! Do you think that they're worth anything?)
Old 07-28-2009, 03:57 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
ooh, yep. i remember green pixelly text on black screens, and no mouse.

i remember writing letters with a pen on paper (i remember that really well actually, since i also remember being an excellent correspondant. sadly those days are apparently gone...). i don't remember stamps being less than 10 cts but i remember them being much less than now.

i remember telephones with cords, and how the curly cords always got hopelessly tangled up and you had to unplug one end and let it twirl until it was more or less untangled.

i remember also the early days of portable phones. france just went from 8 digit phone numbers to 10 digits ; they added a 2-digit prefix which depended on the geographical region. 01 for paris, and 02-05 for approximately each quarter of the country. one day somebody was giving me their telephone number : "06..." and i looked at them in astonishment : "where do you live ???" heh. 06 is the prefix for mobile phone numbers, even now.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
rebarnmom
Wizard

Do you remember when we weren't psocks?
Old 07-28-2009, 04:00 PM   #10
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
Oh! Oh!
Do you remember when telephones had cords on them and you could only walk as far as the cord would let you?

(I have a whole box of them with really long cords! Do you think that they're worth anything?)
Um, well, I still have a phone with cords on it. I live in Germany, you know, that seems to be somewhere near Neanderthal....
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:02 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
Do you remember when we weren't psocks?
hm, no, i don't remember that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenne View Post
Um, well, I still have a phone with cords on it. I live in Germany, you know, that seems to be somewhere near Neanderthal....
heh. i still have a phone with a cord as well, in case of electrical failure. and i also have a really old phone with a round dial you have to turn (remember those ??) and a second earpiece on the back so you can share the conversation with a friend, but i can't use it as my main phone, because at the time they were made, the ringer was in a separate box on the wall, and i don't have that box. (anybody remember that ?)
Old 07-28-2009, 04:14 PM   #12
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
I remember when my parents gave me 50-100 bolivars a week so i could buy lunch at school, now a packet of chewing gum costs about 4-5000 Bolivars......
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #13
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
hm, no, i don't remember that...
Oh, I do, I do, I do ..... You were sitting in a tub, no, no wait - you were wearing nothing but a sock, no, um, you had this nice colourful pinwheel going round and round and.... Oh, and Peace yo! Aww, good old times

Quote:
heh. i still have a phone with a cord as well, in case of electrical failure. and i also have a really old phone with a round dial you have to turn (remember those ??) and a second earpiece on the back so you can share the conversation with a friend, but i can't use it as my main phone, because at the time they were made, the ringer was in a separate box on the wall, and i don't have that box. (anybody remember that ?)
Good to know I'm not the only Neanderthaler. And yes, I remember everything you just said
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
Y2K I was standing on Times Square hoping for something interesting to happen. It didn't.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenne View Post
Oh, I do, I do, I do ..... You were sitting in a tub, no, no wait - you were wearing nothing but a sock, no, um, you had this nice colourful pinwheel going round and round and.... Oh, and Peace yo! Aww, good old times
hm, it seems vaguely familiar... maybe i should search my memory a bit more.

Quote:
Good to know I'm not the only Neanderthaler. And yes, I remember everything you just said
i also remember when my east german friends told me they had to wait maybe a year to get a telephone installed in their house. this was about 15 years ago. they had to use a phone booth in the street. there was one (in dresden) which was broken, so you could telephone even long distance without paying, for as long as you wanted. there was always a long line for that one.