Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool PW - Dictionary Not Found

I just started getting 'Dictionary Not Found' when I press a word to get a definition! I looked in the /Documents folder and there wasn't one, so I went to my Kindle library on Amazon and downloaded Thee Oxford American and put it into the /Documents folder. I continue getting the 'Dictionary Not Found' response when I press a word to get a definition!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I just started getting 'Dictionary Not Found' when I press a word to get a definition! I looked in the /Documents folder and there wasn't one, so I went to my Kindle library on Amazon and downloaded Thee Oxford American and put it into the /Documents folder. I continue getting the 'Dictionary Not Found' response when I press a word to get a definition!

Make sure it's set as default dictionary in settings.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Make sure it's set as default dictionary in settings.
I did, of course. I should've mentioned that in the first post. Odd thing concerning it however. There's only the one that I just downloaded there in the /Documents, but the settings show two New Oxford American's and an Oxford Dictionary of English. I, of course, tried all three and all returned the 'Dictionary Not Found' response.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
a) reboot the Kindle. If that doesn't work...
b) do a Factory Reset
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I did, of course. I should've mentioned that in the first post. Odd thing concerning it however. There's only the one that I just downloaded there in the /Documents, but the settings show two New Oxford American's and an Oxford Dictionary of English. I, of course, tried all three and all returned the 'Dictionary Not Found' response.

Have you restarted the Kindle yet? That would be the first thing I would try if the other is set right.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
a) reboot the Kindle. If that doesn't work...
b) do a Factory Reset
Yeah, I'll try b) after I finish the two books I'm currently reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Have you restarted the Kindle yet? That would be the first thing I would try if the other is set right.
Sure, after each one of them didn't work I did a restart and it still didn't work.

Thanks to you both.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Do you have a pure vanilla Paper White or did you jailbreak it? Are you using Amazon eBooks or Calibre formatted eBooks?
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #8
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool

Quote:
Yeah, I'll try b) after I finish the two books I'm currently reading.

Sure, after each one of them didn't work I did a restart and it still didn't work.

Thanks to you both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Do you have a pure vanilla Paper White or did you jailbreak it? Are you using Amazon eBooks or Calibre formatted eBooks?
pure vanilla
a mixture

Everyone, I decided to not wait and tried pidgeon92's suggestion b). It did the trick!

to each of you who responded.

Last edited by alansplace; 05-11-2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: oops...
Old 05-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I had a problem with my Paperwhite the other day so I reset it to factory defaults. I downloaded my current book, checked everything and it seemed fine and I began reading.

Then I tried to look up a word and of course, no dictionary. So I downloaded the Oxford English one first since my book is about Australia and that's the more helpful one. It took a while to download because my ISP is slow in the evening, but it did and then I started the American one downloading. While I waited for that to download I tried to set the English one as the default dictionary but it wouldn't let me do that.

I went back to the book and I still got the "no dictionary found" message until finally the American dictionary finished downloading. As soon as that finished all was well.

I'm not sure if this contains any answer to your question but I thought I'd post it in case it does.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I don't know if this is your problem, but occasionally a book specifies the wrong 'lang' attribute in the metadata. Does this happen with all books, or just the couple you mention? You might for example download a sample from Amazon and verify that the dictionary works correctly with them.

I vaguely remember reading about a similar problem some months ago. I think that one was fixed by removing the dictionary and re-downloading it.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote