Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 03-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
Ken Stuart
The Knight Who Says Nook!
Ken Stuart began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color ; dead Clie NR70 ; living Rocket REB1100 ; QY70 (pictured)
HSN officially details NC Update & App Store in April

They claim:

Quote:
Coming Soon "Sneak Peek" Updates

HSN will have the "sneak peek" of the new Nook updates, which launches in April
The new updates will be sent out automatically if your device in connected to Wi-Fi
HSN customers will receive the update first

NOOK Apps

Shop the NOOK Store for a wide variety of fun and engaging NOOK Apps
Download all types of apps to get even more out of your device
Some of the exciting new apps include Angry Birds, Lonely Planet Phrasebook and Drawing Pad

Adobe Flash

Expand your web experience by watching videos that use Adobe Flash

Built-in Email

Stay connected via built-in email, just like you do on other tablets and high-end smartphones
No need to go through Internet browser
on their web page selling NC:

NOOK Color™ 7" Touchscreen LCD Tablet with Wi-Fi and eBooksNOOK Color™ 7" Touchscreen LCD Tablet with Wi-Fi and eBooks
Ken Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
joemusic321
joemusic321 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjoemusic321 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjoemusic321 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjoemusic321 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjoemusic321 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjoemusic321 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjoemusic321 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjoemusic321 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjoemusic321 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjoemusic321 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjoemusic321 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Nook Color
For $300?!! That's an expensive 2g card!
joemusic321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
apeine
Enthusiast
apeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook STR
Got to see the price before discount: $379.95. Ouch! Darn expensive 2Gb SD. Maybe class 20?
apeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Claimed retail value: $504
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Well good news is our updates are coming
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

I think if you read the HSN ad carefully you will see it is pure marketing BS. It also claims that if you by a nookcolor from them it will be the first one to get the update. I wouldn't take anything in that ad seriously.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I think if you read the HSN ad carefully you will see it is pure marketing BS. It also claims that if you by a nookcolor from them it will be the first one to get the update. I wouldn't take anything in that ad seriously.
it's true, a BN Admin posted a HSN link in the Nook Color forum.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
apeine
Enthusiast
apeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook STR
On XDA, they wrote that a forum admin from BN said that they will show a glance of the new update on HSN.
Gotta have some faith, ppl!
apeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I think the timing of the update may be marketing BS (i.e. it might not happen in April), but it does sound as though something will be taking place fairly soon.

I have a question - I am thinking seriously of buying a Color Nook. Is there ANY advantage to waiting till after the update - i.e. would getting the device with the new firmware on it be any advantage over getting one now and then updating it when the firmware is released? I cannot think of any, and I know that my classic Nook's update went smoothly, but I am just wondering what others think.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #10
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemusic321 View Post
For $300?!! That's an expensive 2g card!
True. Wonder which 100 books they are including on it...
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #11
Ken Stuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I have a question - I am thinking seriously of buying a Color Nook. Is there ANY advantage to waiting till after the update - i.e. would getting the device with the new firmware on it be any advantage over getting one now and then updating it when the firmware is released? I cannot think of any, and I know that my classic Nook's update went smoothly, but I am just wondering what others think.
It is not hard to update manually - the only time I had a problem was when B&N had a corrupt file on their web server due to a glitch - so not a problem with the device itself.

In terms of buying now, the bigger issues are:

- Will the price go down later ? Will the price go up later (not impossible, considering that B&N may feel that a tablet is worth more $$ than an ereader, so adding the above tablet capabilities means "you get more", hence a price raise, and considering that no tablet that is remotely as good is less than $400) ?

- What other product might be released soon ?

- Will I get good use out of the product between now and then ?

The two ends of the spectrum are those who buy things they don't really need, and thus are always overpaying, and those who never have anything, because they are always waiting for the great thing around the corner...
Old 03-24-2011, 04:10 PM   #12
Ken Stuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeine View Post
On XDA, they wrote that a forum admin from BN said that they will show a glance of the new update on HSN.
Gotta have some faith, ppl!
The BN Web Site Forum Admin said:

Quote:
Hi all- If you’d like to get a sneak peek of some of the upcoming NOOK Apps, check out HSN this weekend to see them demonstrated. Then stay tuned! Everyone will receive the update as soon as it is ready this Spring.
For those curious, the segment debuts Friday at 9pm PT. one hour, called "Electronics Connection" and the Dish onscreen guide info already lists "Featuring Nook Color".

Last edited by Ken Stuart; 03-24-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #13
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Stuart View Post
It is not hard to update manually - the only time I had a problem was when B&N had a corrupt file on their web server due to a glitch - so not a problem with the device itself.

In terms of buying now, the bigger issues are:

- Will the price go down later ? Will the price go up later (not impossible, considering that B&N may feel that a tablet is worth more $$ than an ereader, so adding the above tablet capabilities means "you get more", hence a price raise, and considering that no tablet that is remotely as good is less than $400) ?

- What other product might be released soon ?

- Will I get good use out of the product between now and then ?

The two ends of the spectrum are those who buy things they don't really need, and thus are always overpaying, and those who never have anything, because they are always waiting for the great thing around the corner...
Excellent advice.

I have been considering the purchase of a nook color (to supplement my year-old iPad) over the past few weeks and finally bought one yesterday. I noticed that inventory of nook colors at local retail stores has been steadily dwindling. Barnes and Noble didn't have any. Best Buy had one left (the one that I bought).

That made me wonder if they are planning to re-package the nook color as a tablet. And in light of this HSN news, I think that there might be something to that.

We might just see a $300 nook color tablet.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:25 PM   #14
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Thanks for the advice, folks. I'm thinking I might jump and buy now, just in case they are even thinking of raising the price! (if I can find one)
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Hi all- If you’d like to get a sneak peek of some of the upcoming NOOK Apps, check out HSN this weekend to see them demonstrated. Then stay tuned! Everyone will receive the update as soon as it is ready this Spring.
Spring??? First it was Q1, now it's Q2.

Oh well, who cares if it ever comes. It's hacked and running 2.3 already. Soon, 3.0 will be running on it. Meanwhile, B&N struggles to get 2.2 out.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote