Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Sideloaded Duplicate Shelves on the Glo, and a simple solution...

While I realize others have experienced duplicate shelves on their readers and have expressed belief that it is a Kobo server issue, I have encountered the problem with side loaded epubs via Calibre which is being used to create shelves. I do not have any Kobo books on my reader, all my books are without DRM, and yet on one series of three I experienced multiple shelves after transferring the epubs to my Glo.

I noted the duplicate shelf, reconnected to Calibre, deleted the titles, sent them again, and then found myself with two duplicate shelves for the same series! I tried again and got the second duplicate to go away, but had no luck with rinse and repeat as far as the first duplicate was concerned.

My ultimate solution, while far from inspired, was to delete the epubs from the reader, change the contents of the metadata series field for the three titles in Calibre, send them to the reader one last time and watch my problem disappear. I cheated, by merely changing the series information to a slightly different shelf name.

Far from an awe inspiring feat of legerdemain, but it worked.

I suspect that there may be a Kobo firmware issue or database issue that may be contributing to this whole duplicate shelves issue, and am not quite sure it is really a Kobo server side issue. I think it far more likely that it is a firmware issue, since multiple shelves can apparently be created without so much as a sync to the Kobo servers of any kind.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:34 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Was this with your new Glo? If so, did the Touch get synced to the Kobo server before you setup the Glo? And did the shelves get created on the Glo when you did the setup?

The shelves being duplicated by the Kobo server has nothing to do with kepubs being on the shelves. The existence of the shelves will get synced to the server even if they are empty or have no kepubs on them. The only books on shelves that get synced are the kepubs. Because if this, shelves are being duplicated at sync time.

But, it could be a driver issue. One problem with shelves is case and leading and trailing spaces. The shelves can be created with leading and trailing spaces and "AAA" and "aaa" are considered different. The calibre driver treats these as separate shelves. If there are leading or trailing spaces in the name of a shelf already on the device, the driver considers these to be different shelves. I think case is handled the same (but I've have to check the code). Any shelf created by the driver will have exactly the value set in the calibre library: same case, no leading or trailing spaces.

If you see this again, I would be interested in a debug log so that I can see what is happening.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
TechniSol
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

David,

This was with the new Glo as I wrote above. When I set up the reader the only thing it did was update the firmware and download/attempt to download some epubs from Kobo. I'm 99% sure no shelves appeared post sync -I recall checking, but I could be remembering incorrectly as I wasn't exactly in dispassionate observer mode, more like big kid with a new toy mode. However, if the shelves were created then I'm pretty sure I would have noticed duplicates.

I was out, having just bought the ereader, and having some cheddar mushroom soup so thick the spoon would almost stand up and a steak sandwich in a bar/restaurant that had WiFi so I could update the firmware and log in. I transferred a few books via Calibre from my X41 tablet/convertible and read a bit while eating.

Later that evening, I sideloaded the rest of my library via Calibre, everything went fine for all but one shelf/series which created a dupe when I checked after disconnecting the Glo from Usb. I did not do a Kobo sync either wirelessly or through a pc, WiFi was off.

I had one duplicate shelf, erased the three books on the shelf via Calibre, and it went away. I reconnected and sent via Calibre again and had the shelf back and two duplicates. I did the delete again and was left with the original shelf and one duplicate. I gave up for a few days, then deleted the three titles, renamed the series in the metadata and transferred the books back to the Glo and now I have 10 shelves with varying numbers of titles and no duplicates on the Glo exactly as I had on the touch..

Subsequently, I've synced wirelessly and experienced no more duplicates... so if it's a server issue, why the 9 shelves with no problems and no more problems with the renamed shelf? Or is the issue only when the shelves are created? Then why no dupes when they first appeared? I'm clueless.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That does make it sound like it was the driver rather than the Kobo server. As you have cleaned it up, it is probably to late to investigate. If you see it again, can you run calibre in debug mode and send me the log?
Old 01-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
TechniSol

Sure, always happy to assist the man from Terminix.

Hey, is it possible the shelves got created w/o duplicates, that I didn't notice, but the dupes somehow only show up when the shelves were populated by the USB transfer via Calibre?)
Advert
Old 01-14-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, it is

I was thinking that it depends on how Kobo are reading the database. But, I just thought of something in the calibre driver that might have done something. It still needs for something to happen on the server to create the duplicates in the database, but this might cause more to appear.

I will have to do some investigation. Now, I just need the Kobo server to send me all the duplicates.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:05 AM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You mean you don't have a backup from when you had the error???
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:46 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

You would think so. Especially if I had a nice easy way to make a backup of the database

I have a lot of backups, but not one from just after a multiple shelf sync. I did find one that I think proves my theory. And I know how to fake it, so I will be able to test it.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:41 AM   #9
TechniSol

Good Hunting!

I don't know about you, but no matter how much I hate finding a bug in my own stuff, there is always a feeling of accomplishment once you find it and blow it away.