Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-19-2007, 06:35 PM   #1
Fingers
Fingers began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
White text on black backround?

With the Gen3 Is it possible to change the settings so that it displays white text on a black background? I have vision problems and this feature would be much easier on my eyes.

Fingers
Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:21 PM   #2
Fingers

Sorry, I should have been more specific about the device, or maybe just asked the question in the other section of the forum. I meant: Is it possible to adjust the settings on the Bookeen Cybook Deluxe (gen3) so that it displays white text on a black background?
Advert
Old 12-19-2007, 10:33 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you purchase a refurbished Sony Reader PRS-500 there is a hack for it that will allow you to have a black background. You can get one for $200.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665262812
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:28 AM   #4
edsohsmith
Connoisseur
edsohsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 (soon)
I also like reading white text on a black background on LCD or backlit devices. eink is not back lit though, so it may not be much easier on your eyes to invert the text.
edsohsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:03 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
Sorry, I should have been more specific about the device, or maybe just asked the question in the other section of the forum. I meant: Is it possible to adjust the settings on the Bookeen Cybook Deluxe (gen3) so that it displays white text on a black background?
No, it isn't. I'm not sure that you would find this any easier on an eInk device. Remember that, unlike LCD devices, eInk screen do not emit light, hence white words would not "stand out" as they would if they were on an LCD screen.

The nice thing about the Gen3, for people with vision problems, is that it allows you to magnify the text to an almost unlimited extent, much more so than is possible with the Sony, for example.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2007, 11:03 AM   #6
Fingers

Thank you all for the replies. I wish I could lay my hands on an eInk device in a store or someplace, just to see what one is like. The last couple of years I've been reading ebooks on an HP4705x pda, which has a 4 inch LCD. It's alright but I’d like to find something better. One nice feature of the HP4705x is its Adobe eReader software: tagged pdfs are easily reformatted and the font and colors can be changed to anything I want. But page turns can get a bit screwy and the screen is just too small. My eyes begin to strain after using it for a half hour or so. This happens on the computer, as well. Perhaps the backlighting of the LCD is part of the problem in the case of my eyes, because if I look at printed pages with white letters on a dark background (which uses vats of ink!), there's definitely less strain.

Fingers

Last edited by Fingers; 12-21-2007 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:33 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
Thank you all for the replies. I wish I could lay my hands on an eInk device in a store or someplace, just to see what one is like. The last couple of years I've been reading ebooks on an HP4705x pda, which has a 4 inch LCD. It's alright but I’d like to find something better. One nice feature of the HP4705x is its Adobe eReader software: tagged pdfs are easily reformatted and the font and colors can be changed to anything I want. But page turns can get a bit screwy and the screen is just too small. My eyes begin to strain after using it for a half hour or so. This happens on the computer, as well. Perhaps the backlighting of the LCD is part of the problem in the case of my eyes, because if I look at printed pages with white letters on a dark background (which uses vats of ink!), there's definitely less strain.

Fingers
check Fry's, Borders, Comp USA (if you still have one). Tell us where you live in your personal data and we can be more helpful. Do you have a Cybook gen1?
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:19 PM   #8
Fingers

Thanks, DaleDe. I’ve updated the information. While signing up for the forum it made me select a device, so I just put cybook. I don’t own a cybook, nor have I ever seen one (or any dedicated ebook device, for that matter), except online.

Fingers