Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
Jamestoo
Enthusiast
Jamestoo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Italics in Epub text

The text in my epub has a large number of scientific names that are normally italiczed.

I can italicize a paragraph with no problem, but can't figure out how to style just one word in a paragraph—without breaking the paragraph.

Can anyone help me with way to do this?

(The epub will eventually be converted to mobi for Kindle, if that makes any difference.)

Thanks
Jamestoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Using the i tag:
Code:
<i>word</i>
or using a span and css:
Code:
<p>some other text <span class="italic">in</span> this paragraph.</p>
with the css:
Code:
.italic {
    font-style: italic
    }
I prefer the simple tag, as it's nicer to work with distinct elements when using regex and the rest - you never know what things will look like later on.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
Jamestoo
Enthusiast
Jamestoo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks!

I appreciate your feedback. I tried the <i> tag and when I went to Book View in Sigil I saw nothing.

So I coded the other span & css and, although a little more coding is needed, it worked fine: problem solved.

Curious as to why the <i> tag did't work I redid it on another word, saved the new epub and then converted the file to a mobi file for Kindle.

Both the italicized words showed up in Kindle.

I'll use the short version; but do you know why it didn't show up in the Sigil Book View?

Thanks for your help!
Jamestoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:54 PM   #4
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
Occasionally with Sigil, I've had trouble with the <i></i> tags if Sigil's Tidy is turned on; if it is turned off I never have had any problems.

Last edited by bobcdy; 11-09-2011 at 05:07 PM.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:01 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamestoo View Post
I tried the <i> tag and when I went to Book View in Sigil I saw nothing.
It could be that there is somewhere something like this:

i { font-style: normal; }
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2011, 05:06 AM   #6
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
try <em> instead of <i>

<em>This is emphasized text - which appears as italics</em>
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:05 AM   #7
cuthbert19
Enthusiast
cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Opus
... or it could be that the epub was correctly working with the <i> tag but it was not correctly rendered by Sigil: the old QTWebKit bug
cuthbert19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:16 AM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
I recently had some weirdness with this--italics would NOT render, not matter what I tried, within Sigil, in some endnotes. Showed up fine in the ePUB--but in Sigil, not a thing.

Don't know if that helps at all...but sometimes, it's the little things that turn on the lightbulbs.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote