Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 12-22-2008, 10:43 PM   #1
pathfinderca
Connoisseur
pathfinderca began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V.2
Could someone please tell me if this is a good deal for an ereader?

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-TC1100-Tablet...3%3A2|294%3A50

Thank you very much in advance.
pathfinderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:00 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
you can buy brand new Netbooks for less
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
pathfinderca
Connoisseur

I know. but I would like something that lies flat. Thank you for your suggestion.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinderca View Post
I know. but I would like something that lies flat. Thank you for your suggestion.
How about a Sony Reader or a Kindle?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:12 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
Seconded, although the Kindle has a slight wedge shape to it.

I can set my Reader on the table while I eat and it'll lie flat (with the cover folded underneath) and just hit the button to turn the page (and still see it clearly).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:17 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:

BOb
Can either of them read LIT, or HTML, or DOC? How are the annotation abilities of the PRS-505? How well does the Kindle display PDFs?

That's why he wants a tablet.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:32 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The TC1100 sounds like a good deal. The primary issue as an ebook reader will be battery life (probably 2-3 hours). You will almost certainly need a case.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:41 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Can either of them read LIT, or HTML, or DOC? How are the annotation abilities of the PRS-505? How well does the Kindle display PDFs?

Oops, my bad.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:44 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

I see. I didn't see any feature requirements in the OP. Just, "will this be a good ereader".

So, the answer really depends on the use cases.

That said, no neither reader I mentioned can read LIT, but LIT and HTM and DOC can be converted to LRF or Mobi easily.

As far as PDF... no Kindle doesn't view it, but it can be converted. The 505 will view PDF files.

Of course, you know the answers to these.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:58 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It should do fine. The only limitation will be battery life.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:02 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
I see. I didn't see any feature requirements in the OP. Just, "will this be a good ereader".

So, the answer really depends on the use cases.

That said, no neither reader I mentioned can read LIT, but LIT and HTM and DOC can be converted to LRF or Mobi easily.

As far as PDF... no Kindle doesn't view it, but it can be converted. The 505 will view PDF files.

Of course, you know the answers to these.

BOb
Based on questions he's asked in other threads, I'd say he's not really looking for an ebook reader. What I think he wants is a multifunction device that is more capable than a PDA, but costs less than a new Tablet PC.

The tablet he links to should do the job. Battery life will be lacking though.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:25 PM   #12
pathfinderca
Connoisseur

Thank you everybody who tried to help me. The deal already ended. I believe I asked the wrong question, but you guys are so great to have guessed what I really wanted. I couldn't have put it better. Thanks again. Happy New Year.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:51 PM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

That auction ended, but the seller has quite a few of that model still avilable.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:41 PM   #14
HowGozit
Connoisseur
HowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo, Asus Tab 8, iPod Touch, Galaxy Tab, Surface Pr2
Yes..

Quote:
If you are comfortable with the cost, then that is an *excellent* tablet.

Battery life with a new battery is in the order of 4-5 hours. If you only have the orginal battery with that came with the unit, then expect a battery life of 2-3 hours.

The T1x00 range is small and light, especially if you detach the keyboard/base. Performance on the T1100 is quite good (the T1000 is slow, and should be avoided). The digitizer is a Wacom and uses a pen with no batteries (unlike the T1000).

I have a T1000 (The t1100's predecessor with a non-intel CPU) which is rapidly approaching its use-by date. The pen needs a AAAA (not a misprint) battery, and even though I have 2 pens and 768MB of RAM in the unit, it is getting very flakey in tablet mode. It lives in hibernate with 3 or 4 book/magazine readers preloaded, and is still the best unit for reading Zinio magazines that I have, as is is easy to treat as a magazine when sitting on the couch. Due to the 3 pound weight. I keep whopping libraries on it as it has 30GB of storage.

The next lightest full tablet I have is 4.4 lbs (Toshiba M700) and the Toshiba M4 (best screen at 14" 1400x1050) is 7 lbs and flat not comfortable to read on the couch.

If you are comfortable with the price, and especially if you can buy a new battery for it somewhere - then that will be a good reader for .LIT and Zinio magazines. There are also Mobipocket readers, Ereader, and it will happily show PDF's in portrait mode.

Like anything that weighs 3 lbs odd (plus power pack), it is not something that you casually throw into a briefcase as a 2nd reader. But it will be a great reader for around the house.

I am tearfully going to abandon my T1000, if I had a T1100, I suspect that I would still be keeping it for a couple of years yet.

Ross

Last edited by HowGozit; 12-27-2008 at 11:33 PM.
HowGozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #15
pathfinderca
Connoisseur

Thank you so much, HowGozit, for such informative and detailed explanation. It really helps a lot for me to make a decision. Thanks again. God bless.