Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-09-2014, 04:24 AM   #31
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
ls -a

will show all directories. If you're using a filemanager there should be an option to view hidden directories.
In linux you can usually use ctrl-h to make hidden files visible to the file manager. Use ctrl-h one more time to hide them again.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:55 AM   #32
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
I've done it.

Thanks GeoffR now there are no excuses for the technologically challenged like myself.

Thanks trekk, that did the trick and I could see the folder and paste the koboRoot.tgz and update the dictionaries.

Now I have to get used to the new firmware, I was stuck in the 8.something firmware and this one is a lot different, I spend several minutes trying to find the button to go to the index off the book, what were they thinking when they put it like this.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:17 AM   #33
JamesFEvans
~James~
JamesFEvans began at the beginning.

Device: iOS, Kobo Aura
Is it possible to do this from a Mac?

EDIT: Did it from a PC, if the files created to update are the same, why not just provide the files for updating? Instead of having to create them? Just curious...

Last edited by JamesFEvans; 03-10-2014 at 10:46 AM.
JamesFEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:12 PM   #34
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFEvans View Post

EDIT: Did it from a PC, if the files created to update are the same, why not just provide the files for updating? Instead of having to create them? Just curious...
The tools to create the files run under Windows (Metazoa) or Linux (GeoffR). It should be possible to port to Mac OSX but so far no one has volunteered to do so.

As for the supplying the files for updating? Given the number of options, it would call for a massive selection of files even disregarding the possibility that posting such files would not be permitted due to rights issues.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #35
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
The patch32lsb program should compile on the Mac if you have the gcc toolchain installed, but I don't have any way to test it. If anyone tries compiling it and gets a compiler error message, let me know and I should be able to get it working. I have tested it on Windows by compiling with the the mingw cross-complier, so any changes needed to get it to compile on the Mac should only be minor.

Quote:
The patched files will not be the same if you customise the .conf file differently. The .conf files here are only examples, based on my preferences for the Glo, most people will want to adjust them to suit their preferences and device.

Also it is probably not legal to distribute modified Kobo firmware.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:54 PM   #36
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Patch to fix tiny synopsis on Glo/Aura/AuraHD

Here are patches to fix the issue with the tiny synopsis text in 3.2.0. I think this issue only affects the Glo/Aura/AuraHD.

What seems to be happening is that the synopsis has a default stylesheet suitable for the Touch/Mini, and there are overrides for the Glo/Aura/AuraHD. However the overrides don't seem to work, so all models are getting the Touch/Mini stylesheet which has a font size far too small for the higher DPI devices. The patch works by making the Glo/Aura/AuraHD override the default synopsis stylesheet.

Patch for Glo/Aura:
Spoiler:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Custom synopsis style (Glo/Aura example)`
patch_enable = `yes`
replace_string = 11B60AC, `<html><style type="text/css">* {font-size: 20px; font-family: sans-serif; font-style: normal; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 1.25em;} span.phoenix {font-size: 23px; font-family: "Georgia serif";} span.dragon {font-size: 29px; font-family: "Georgia serif"; line-height: 1.5em;} span.ja_JP {font-family: "A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N"; !important} </style><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"/></head><body><span class="%1 %2">%3</span><br/></body></html>`, `<html><style type="text/css">* {font-size: 23px; font-family: "Georgia serif"; font-style: normal; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 1.25em;} span.ja_JP {font-family: "A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N"; !important} </style><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"/></head><body><span class="%1 %2">%3</span><br/></body></html>`
</Patch>

Patch for AuraHD:
Spoiler:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Custom synopsis style (AuraHD example)`
patch_enable = `yes`
replace_string = 11B60AC, `<html><style type="text/css">* {font-size: 20px; font-family: sans-serif; font-style: normal; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 1.25em;} span.phoenix {font-size: 23px; font-family: "Georgia serif";} span.dragon {font-size: 29px; font-family: "Georgia serif"; line-height: 1.5em;} span.ja_JP {font-family: "A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N"; !important} </style><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"/></head><body><span class="%1 %2">%3</span><br/></body></html>`, `<html><style type="text/css">* {font-size: 29px; font-family: "Georgia serif"; font-style: normal; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 1.5em;} span.ja_JP {font-family: "A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N"; !important} </style><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"/></head><body><span class="%1 %2">%3</span><br/></body></html>`
</Patch>

I've only briefly tested this on my Glo, so let me know if there are any problems.

Edit: The patches I originally posted were not accepted by kpg.exe, for some reason kpg.exe doesn't like the final \n at the end of the original string, even though it is there in libnickel.so.1.0.0.

Edit2: kpg.exe replace_string method doesn't accept \n, \t, etc. in either original or replacement string. Fixed.

Last edited by GeoffR; 03-21-2014 at 09:42 PM. Reason: change patch to work with kpg.exe
Old 03-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #37
npr
Zealot
npr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, H2OE2, Libra 2
GeoffR, many thanks for creating these patches .

Are you sure this "synopsis issue affect the Aura?
I usually read this in calibre so unsure what it normally looks like in the Kobo Aura, yes the text is small but I can still read it ok even with my bad eyes.
When I try to run the patch I get the following error report for the synopsis patch

Output from running the 3.2.0 patch:-
Quote:
Applying patches ...
Applying patch [Custom reading footer style] ...
OK
Applying patch [My line spacing values] ...
DISABLED IN CONFIG
Applying patch [My 15 line spacing values] ...
OK
Applying patch [Custom fonts sizes] ...
OK
Applying patch [Custom left & right margins] ...
OK
Applying patch [Fix page breaks bug] ...
OK
Applying patch [Brightness fine control] ...
OK
Applying patch [Allow download all in Browser] ...
DISABLED IN CONFIG
Applying patch [Search in Library by default] ...
DISABLED IN CONFIG
Applying patch [Avoid generating/downloading redundant cover image] ...
DISABLED IN CONFIG
Applying patch [Wi-Fi insomnia] ...
DISABLED IN CONFIG
Applying patch [Margins fine tuning] ...
DISABLED IN CONFIG
Applying patch [Ignore book internal CSS stylesheet] ...
DISABLED IN CONFIG
Applying patch [Ignore book TOC navpoints] ...
DISABLED IN CONFIG
Applying patch [Custom synopsis style (Glo/Aura example)] ...
11b6299 5c a

Data for replace in libnickel.so.1.0.0 and kpg.conf does not match!
libnickel.so.1.0.0 is already patched or from the wrong firmware version.
npr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:23 PM   #38
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by npr View Post
Are you sure this "synopsis issue affect the Aura?
I usually read this in calibre so unsure what it normally looks like in the Kobo Aura, yes the text is small but I can still read it ok even with my bad eyes.
The bug does affect the Glo and Aura, but it would be much more noticeable on the AuraHD. The font size used for the synopsis was 20px for all models, but it should have been 23px for the Glo/Aura and 29px for the AuraHD.

Quote:
When I try to run the patch I get the following error report for the synopsis patch

Output from running the 3.2.0 patch:-
Sorry about that, I didn't test it with kpg.exe and for some reason kpg.exe doesn't like the final \n in the original string. I've fixed this and edited the patches in the post #36 above.

Edit: I think I have figured out the cause of the problem with the patch, the kpg.exe replace string method doesn't accept the \n, \t encoding at all and was treating them literally instead of interpreting them as LF, TAB, etc., so I have edited the patch again to remove these characters from the replacement string too.

Last edited by GeoffR; 03-21-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:06 AM   #39
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The bug does affect the Glo and Aura, but it would be much more noticeable on the AuraHD. The font size used for the synopsis was 20px for all models, but it should have been 23px for the Glo/Aura and 29px for the AuraHD.

Sorry about that, I didn't test it with kpg.exe and for some reason kpg.exe doesn't like the final \n in the original string. I've fixed this and edited the patches in the post #36 above.

Edit: I think I have figured out the cause of the problem with the patch, the kpg.exe replace string method doesn't accept the \n, \t encoding at all and was treating them literally instead of interpreting them as LF, TAB, etc., so I have edited the patch again to remove these characters from the replacement string too.
Not sure if this is quite legitimate but I patched the patch for myself by using replace_xor_00 instead of replace_string after my first attempt at generating the patch ended in an error message

Regards,
David
Old 03-22-2014, 06:28 AM   #40
npr
Zealot
npr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, H2OE2, Libra 2
Thanks, the patch now runs and installs ok in my Aura.
The difference in text size however is hardly noticeable to me on the Aura, I assume it's more pronounced on the HD.
eg 14 lines of text per page with the patch, 15 lines of text without.
npr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:15 AM   #41
GeoffR
Wizard

Keyboard patch: replace copyright symbol with curly apostrophe

This patch replaces the copyright symbol (©) with a curly apostrophe (’) on the keyboard.

I find this useful when searching for books by author, because names such as O'Brian (with a straight apostrophe) do not match O’Brian (with a curly apostrophe), so without a curly apostrophe key there is no reliable way to search for such names.

Spoiler:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Keyboard replace copyright with curly apostrophe`
patch_enable = `yes`
replace_bytes = 11A6B0C, C2 A9 00 00, E2 80 99 00
</Patch>

If anyone wants other keys replaced I should be able to work out a suitable patch.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #42
SHunter101
Connoisseur
SHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel is

Device: Kobo AuraH2O, Glo, AuraHD, JBC2
Hello:

If anyone is interested, Metazoa has released patch 12 that covers kobo FW3.2. The patch can be found as the last post on page 55 of the link below:

http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...14560472a58994

Best,
Shunter
SHunter101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #43
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHunter101 View Post
Hello:

If anyone is interested, Metazoa has released patch 12 that covers kobo FW3.2. The patch can be found as the last post on page 55 of the link below:

http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...14560472a58994
For those who are not comfortable in Russian, I've changed the download link in the first message in this thread to point to version 12.

Regards,
David
Old 04-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #44
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
what are the main differences between metazoa's patch and one created by this forum developers?
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:59 PM   #45
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
With either one you can look through the list of patches in the configuration file and see what is being patched.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote