Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Arrow ?s HD+ with android 4.2.2 internal mem.

I have both an HD and HD+. The HD is running android using a n2a card I got before realizing I could do this myself It is running fine. I got the HD+ in the fall and found directions on the xda site through links from here to install android in the internal memory of it. It was working well until a few weeks ago. Now it is super-sluggish, takes forever to respond to any opening or closing of an app. I frequently get the "blank app is not responding, do you want to close?" at the same time the app finally opens. Sometimes when I click on something the screen goes completely black for 20 sec or so, then finally re-opens on what I clicked on (or says not responding).

Also, frequently it show gmail trying to download endlessly (98% done but never finishes) when I don't have the wifi turned on. I can't even tell whether it means it's downloading mail or trying to update the app. I uninstalled the Gmail app b/c I read my gmail through Mail Droid.

I've rebooted several times, turned wifi on and off again, and the gmail downloading thing is still there. Maybe that is what is slowing the whole tablet down?

So, back when I installed this, I basically followed the directions carefully but not really understanding exactly what each step did. At this point, I think I might need to wipe it clean and start over. I don't mind losing any data on the tablet, as all documents, pics and music, etc are also on my HD and/or PC. So what is the easiest way to do this or is there something else I should do instead?

I have the following zipfiles still from before: NookPlusBootableCWMforstock4GB-rev(05.15.13),CM10.1.3 ovation, CM10.1.3 recovery ovation3 and the gappsjb20130812-signed.

Keep in mind, even though I did this before, I've forgotten what or how in much of it (senior mind here)
for any help or direction!
Karen
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Karen, I think the HD+ is just more prone to lag than the HD. I have both too, and I noticed right out of the box, the HD+ was a little less smooth than the HD. I believe it has a lot to do with hardware limitations. The HD+ just has a lot more pixels on the screen to move around but has essentially only the same processor and read-only memory of the HD (1gb). Add to that the issue of lag that is inherent with some Android setups and you have a bad combination with the HD+.

My HD and HD+ are both 16gb, have essentially the same amount of apps on them, are both about 65% full, but the HD+ remains significantly laggier than the HD. And while it's getting worse over time on the HD+, I don't notice any deterioration on the HD. I'm on rooted stock for both, by the way.

So it's a combo of hardware and software for the HD+ that is causing the issue, and because the HD has fewer processor demands, Android lag is not impacting it in a noticeable way. At least this is my theory.

As for what you can do? I would suggest first a nandroid backup, then a wipe of the caches (but be careful not to wipe the partitions), and then flashing the backup you just made back to your system. You shouldn't lose any data.

If that doesn't work, then resetting your device and installing all your apps again will likely fix things. Eventually, though, you will be facing the same issues again.

The good news is that they have Kit Kat working for the HD+ over at XDA, and many report it is working smoother than any HD+ ROM so far. Kit Kat supposedly has trim fixes too, so lag is less likely to crop up over time. Unless you know what you are doing, though, I wouldn't put it on your device yet, as it is too new. But within a few months it should be stable enough for more widespread use.

At any rate, for now, you might want to post your question over at the XDA forum. They will have many more suggestions for you.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
As for what you can do? I would suggest first a nandroid backup, then a wipe of the caches (but be careful not to wipe the partitions), and then flashing the backup you just made back to your system. You shouldn't lose any data.
For the purpose of wiping /cache there is no need to do a backup/restore.

However, it's definitely worth making and having a backup handy for the eventuality of making a mistake down the road in rooting or flashing custom ROMs.
Quote:
The good news is that they have Kit Kat working for the HD+ over at XDA, and many report it is working smoother than any HD+ ROM so far.
I've been running (Bokbokan's as well as Succulent's) CM11 off SD for the past few days, they are both enormous improvement over the late CM10.2 builds (which I found to be so laggy as well as having such poor wifi performance to the point of being unusable).

Last edited by livramax; 01-01-2014 at 02:01 PM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #4
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
For the purpose of wiping /cache there is no need to do a backup/restore.

However, it's definitely worth making and having a backup handy for the eventuality of making a mistake down the road in rooting or flashing custom ROMs.
I should have also said the /data and data/media partitions should also be formatted. The idea is that putting back a nandroid backup on a fresh internal card will mitigate lag issues. It does work. However, it will only work to the extent the slowness is due to Android lag. With the HD+, there is some noticeable lag due to hardware limitations, so that won't be changed with this method.

Quote:
I've been running (Bokbokan's as well as Succulent's) CM11 off SD for the past few days, they are both enormous improvement over the late CM10.2 builds (which I found to be so laggy as well as having such poor wifi performance to the point of being unusable).
That's what people are saying. 10.1 and 10.2 both had lag and/or wi-fi and bluetooth issues, but the general consensus on Kit Kat for the HD+ seems to be much more positive so far. I do want to keep the HD+ on stock, however, so I am waiting for them to fully test out a Kit Kat build for the HD. They have one but it is still too new.

Have you tried Kit Kat on emmc yet? Any issues whatsoever?

--Pat
Old 01-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #5
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post

Have you tried Kit Kat on emmc yet? Any issues whatsoever?
No I have not tried it on emmc.

FWIW, I wrote up a brief guide on how to create a CM11 SD card (using either Bokbokan's or Succulent CM11 builds) with customized sizing for the 3 partitions boot/system/data: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3&postcount=84.

Last edited by livramax; 01-04-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
For your gmail problem, I would go into the settings menu and scroll to Google. Turn off sync. It will turn off mail syncing. This should prevent the tablet from trying to sync.

I am currently running kitkat 4.4.2 on a micro SD card. At first I had to tweak some settings but after several days.. I like it. In the beginning I had to install next browser and dolphin browser because chromium was slow and would crash. The dolphin and next browsers don't crash. I do find battery drain is faster with kitkat than when I run stock but.. It runs way cooler now. (No more heat in the bottom corner of the tablet)

Penny

Last edited by mystika1; 01-04-2014 at 03:03 PM.
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:54 AM   #7
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Karen,
There's been at least two over-the-air updates for our version of CyanogenMod since we installed it. Have you done the updates?

I've had no problems with lag on my HD+, so I believe your problems have nothing to do with the hardware. I have my Gmail syncing on my Nook, but I don't get the downloading problem you do. You've got something else going on with your Nook, but it's difficult for us to help without actually seeing it.

You can reboot into the CyanogenMod boot loader. I forget what it's called and I don't have my Nook with me. If you hold the power button, one of the options is to reboot into the loader. From there, you can choose to do a factory reset (I don't remember the exact words). This will reset everything back to like when you first installed the CyanogenMod ROM. You'll have to reinstall all your apps, but it won't wipe out your SD card.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #8
PatNY
Zennist

Verygreen over at XDA has started development of Kit Kat for both the HD+ and HD, and early ROMS are now available for testing. If one is going to be experimenting with Kit Kat now, I would go with his ROM, as he seems to be most careful and attentive, as well as experienced. Early reports of his ROM are good, with some reporting better fluidity than with succulent's ROM.

I will wait till verygreen's Kit Kat for emmc is fully developed before jumping in with my HD. Even if it takes a few months. The HD on stock is still running very smoothly. Out of curiosity, I tried out bokbokan's sd card Kit Kat install for HD this past weekend, and it was just so-so. It was pretty glitchy and slow -- overall much slower than stock on the HD. Only the app drawer seemed to be speedier. Part of the problem may have been my Kingston sd card, but sd card installs are just a little slower than internal installations. The increased real estate was nice and would be beneficial for web browsing and videos, but it's not so much of a sea change that it can't wait for a final or near-final ROM first.

Quote:

FWIW, I wrote up a brief guide on how to create a CM11 SD card (using either Bokbokan's or Succulent CM11 builds) with customized sizing for the 3 partitions boot/system/data: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3&postcount=84.
What were you attempting to accomplish by doing this? What's wrong with the default partitions on the image already provided in that thread? Just wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
I do find battery drain is faster with kitkat than when I run stock but.
That's not good. Maybe running off the sd card eats more battery? I would try verygreen's emmc build, maybe when it's a little further on in development? Also, are you killing wi-fi regularly so it doesn't eat the battery. I have Llama turn my wi-fi off and on automatically as the screen goes off and on. I also run Greenify, an excellent free app for putting to sleep apps that want to stay up even if you are not using them. With these two steps, my HD and HD+ lose only 1-2% battery power overnight, which I think is good.

--Pat

Last edited by PatNY; 01-07-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #9
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I run Succulents KitKat installed internally on my HD+. It is very smooth. Smoother than the CM10.2 I ran before. Only lag I notice is the screen rotation is slow. At least one of the persons over at XDA saying Succulents version was laggy admits to not having done a clean install. That CAN make a huge difference!
Battery life is the same as with stock for me.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #10
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I've been using CM10.1.3 happily for months. I won't be upgrading until I see a stable release and only if it adds something that I really need/want.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #11
PatNY
Zennist

For anyone interested, I've had verygreen's Kit Kat ROM, CM 11, running on my HD for over a week now. It's running very smooth, with no major issues. Wi-fi and bluetooth are both working fine. Not a single spontaneous reboot such as those reported with the previous ROMs. There may be a few apps that don't work but that may be due to Kit Kat as not all developers have upgraded their apps to be compatible. It's nice to have Kit Kat's larger screen area, especially for web browsing.

YMMV, though, if you have the HD+. Some still report a little sluggishness with CM 11 on the larger tablet, especially with the official builds. They say evergreen's earlier CM 11 builds before they became nightlies were faster, and they are trying to figure out why now. I still have my HD+ on rooted stock.

--Pat
Old 02-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #12
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Late update here. I never had much time to work on it until this week but finally looked over various pages at the XDA forums. What finally worked was deleting all my music files! I hadn't realized I'd accumulated over 8 GB of music and apparently that was really slowing it down, b/c it's much more stable and quick now, no more lagging. I did wipe the cache, etc first with no noticeable effect. I had just been allowing my music to go on the internal memory but from now on will use a microSD card for media files.
Still thinking and reading about Kitkat and the various possibilities. I wish I understood more about the differences in flashing different ROMs etc. Need to read more!
Karen
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:58 AM   #13
livramax
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknit View Post
Still thinking and reading about Kitkat and the various possibilities. I wish I understood more about the differences in flashing different ROMs etc. Need to read more!
You can try running the SD-based version of some of these ROMs to see if their features/performance are compelling enough for committing the ROM onto internal emmc:

Verygreen's CM11 builds: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2389813
Succulent's CM11 builds: http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2013/...-xx-20dec2013/

A good guide for flashing CM11 onto emmc is http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...28&postcount=1.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #14
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
You can try running the SD-based version of some of these ROMs to see if their features/performance are compelling enough for committing the ROM onto internal emmc:

Verygreen's CM11 builds: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2389813
Succulent's CM11 builds: http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2013/...-xx-20dec2013/

A good guide for flashing CM11 onto emmc is http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...28&postcount=1.
I'll have to look into these links. I've been running 10.1.3 from emmc for ages with very little problems and I *really* don't want to reinstall *everything* for an upgrade. Hoping to find a way to upgrade the OS without having to wipe the HD+.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #15
livramax
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I'll have to look into these links. I've been running 10.1.3 from emmc for ages with very little problems and I *really* don't want to reinstall *everything* for an upgrade. Hoping to find a way to upgrade the OS without having to wipe the HD+.
You can do a full backup of your current ROM including /data, then try flashing CM11 on top of CM10.1.3 without wiping /data, and see if it would work without issue.

If not re-flash with wiping /data, there is a good chance Google Backup/Restore would automatically re-download all your apps (but you'd still have to re-setup personal settings such as login/password inside various apps).

Worst case you can restore back to 10.1.3 using the backup you made at the outset.