Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-19-2014, 12:16 PM   #46
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Micah, how did you manage to get your PW so soon? I ordered mine on monday (I think) and it still hasn't been dispatched! The ETA is this friday - monday!

Katsunami, where would I get the 5.4.0. and what does it do?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #47
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Katsunami, where would I get the 5.4.0. and what does it do?
5.4.0 is the original firmware for the KPW2, which does not have GoodReads integration, and has no Cloud Collections. Hence, it also doesn't have the nags when working with collections without using Wi-Fi. This firmware cannot be downloaded at Amazon (they don't provide it), but I read some time ago that the people in the Kindle Developers forum have found a way to extract it from a Kindle that wasn't yet upgraded, so one can downgrade to it. There was a convoluted, not-so-easy way to accomplish it.

My suggestion is to contact ixtab, and/or NiLuJe.

If there is a simple way to install 5.4.0, one of them will know of it and point you to the relevant instructions. You could also try a post in the Kindle Developers subforum.

To my regret I can be of no further assistance in this matter; I'm not into hacking the Kindle. (Or other readres... or phones...)

If you manage to downgrade, don't leave the Kindle lying around with Wi-Fi turned on (at a friend's house, for example), because it'll download the newest firmware. If there's enough battery power, it'll also install it.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-19-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:56 PM   #48
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The instructions start here: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/README.txt

You will need to jailbreak, then boot into diags mode, then flash the kernel and the main partition with the system images in the parent directory.

If you don't understand this, there is a good chance you will by the time you've read the linked documentation.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:44 PM   #49
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
If you manage to downgrade, don't leave the Kindle lying around with Wi-Fi turned on (at a friend's house, for example), because it'll download the newest firmware. If there's enough battery power, it'll also install it.
Actually, there are ways to prevent this from happening once jailbroken. I can't remember them exactly--I think one is called BackdoorLock or some such? The other is a trick that doesn't require loading anything, simply creating a folder on the Kindle root with a specific name. If I can find the post on that, I'll link to it; that's the trick I used, and my PW2 has not updated despite numerous connections to wifi, included extended periods.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:55 PM   #50
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
That last method probably is putting a folder or file in place with the exact same name as the Kindle would use for the firmware... it'll probably not delete the file, but it would be prevented to download a new one. I assume it works in such a way.

(It wouldn't if I'd programmed that firmware. I'd just delete the existing folder or file, download the firmware, and install it.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:05 PM   #51
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That last method probably is putting a folder or file in place with the exact same name as the Kindle would use for the firmware... it'll probably not delete the file, but it would be prevented to download a new one. I assume it works in such a way.

(It wouldn't if I'd programmed that firmware. I'd just delete the existing folder or file, download the firmware, and install it.)
The unix command to delete a file (like the update.bin) is different from the command to delete a directory, hence why this method works. See this thread: Tutorial An easier way to disable auto-updates
Old 02-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #52
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The unix command to delete a file (like the update.bin) is different from the command to delete a directory, hence why this method works. See this thread: Tutorial An easier way to disable auto-updates
Thanks for linking this--got sidetracked by a doctor's appt and hadn't got back to it yet.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:06 PM   #53
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaP View Post
Thanks for linking this--got sidetracked by a doctor's appt and hadn't got back to it yet.
I subscribed to the thread and foldered it with the other stuff I want to refer back to - it was easy.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #54
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Be warned that jailbreaking takes some tech-savvy and may not be for the average user.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:16 AM   #55
Dee Q
Born Yesterday
Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2 & Kindle Scribe
You should definitely get a PW. She's lovely. You'll find yourself unable to go to bed without her...
Dee Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:12 AM   #56
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a pw1 and considered upgrading, but with rumors of a new Higher res device on the horizon its definitely worth waiting. The rumors have this device at a 300+ PPI res and that's worth waiting for.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #57
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
I have a pw1 and considered upgrading, but with rumors of a new Higher res device on the horizon its definitely worth waiting. The rumors have this device at a 300+ PPI res and that's worth waiting for.
You're waiting for a unicorn...

IF the PW1 suits your needs just fine, then that's great. But don't hold off on buying the PW2 just because people say there will be a new device this year. There will be a new device every year -- last year it was the PW2, before that the PW1, before that the KT...

In November you will be refusing to buy the PW3 because you heard the PW4 will be out in a year.

And no one really knows what the next devices will be like, because Amazon ain't telling. The 300+ PPI is a rumor, as you pointed out. Rumors are made up because people hope its true, not because they have proof.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #58
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Exactly eschwartz. I'd give you more karma for echoing my own thoughts but expressing them far more succinctly than I probably could, but I the forum won't let me add any more, I guess I gave you too much for helping me with plugboards
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #59
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
Exactly eschwartz. I'd give you more karma for echoing my own thoughts but expressing them far more succinctly than I probably could, but I the forum won't let me add any more, I guess I gave you too much for helping me with plugboards
You haven't given anyone karma in two months??

The rule is 10 ppl max per day, and never the same person two times in a row.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:31 PM   #60
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
5.4.0 is the original firmware for the KPW2, which does not have GoodReads integration, and has no Cloud Collections. Hence, it also doesn't have the nags when working with collections without using Wi-Fi. This firmware cannot be downloaded at Amazon (they don't provide it), but I read some time ago that the people in the Kindle Developers forum have found a way to extract it from a Kindle that wasn't yet upgraded, so one can downgrade to it. There was a convoluted, not-so-easy way to accomplish it.

My suggestion is to contact ixtab, and/or NiLuJe.

If there is a simple way to install 5.4.0, one of them will know of it and point you to the relevant instructions. You could also try a post in the Kindle Developers subforum.

To my regret I can be of no further assistance in this matter; I'm not into hacking the Kindle. (Or other readres... or phones...)

Or don't turn on wi-fi

What firmware version do you have?

I have 5.4.2. and have not registered it or setup wi-fi cause I like it the way it is. For some reason Goodreads is not on my PW2 and I don't want it or need it. That is too much like a tablet to me. Been there and done that. I do my surfing with a computer. But that is me

I like the software differences like bookmarks, you can delete you old ones as you go along. I like I can have page numbers now. I like the lighting better too. I think the page turns are more responsive on mine compared to the PW1.
new is offline   Reply With Quote