Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #31
sus
sus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo original
Replace Kobo 1 screen

Hi Everyone

Now that I know what is wrong with the Kobo I gave to my daughter, how do I go about purchasing a replacement screen? This is the original Kobo ereader.

Thanks Sus
sus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #32
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I'm thinking you'd be better off getting another reader as even if you could find the glass (which I doubt) you'd still have an older, slower device. You can find used ones on the Mobileread market, ebay,kijiji etc. Or invest in a new one, the Mini is very cute, cheaper than the other models ($80) and to me seems less likely to have the glass substrate broken because of its smaller area making flexing/torsion (but not drops or knocks) less likely. You definitely need to keep readers in a case and protect them from any kind of impact!
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #33
datostar
Enthusiast
datostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Are you sure it is the same file on both platforms? Remember, if you read a book in Kobo ePub format (kePub) on any platform you will see page number per chapter. However, reading an ePub format shows page number per book.

AFAIK the iOS App reads kePubs NOT ePubs.
The iOS App will read ePubs. It's a bit fiddly but iTunes can handle the transfer. With device connected, go to 'Apps' on the devices screen, scroll down to 'File Sharing'. The Kobo App should appear on the left side. Highlight it, then click on 'Add' at the bottom of the page. Select the ePubs you want to transfer from the directory you have them in and they will transfer over and appear in the Kobo library.
datostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:36 AM   #34
Rotha
Rotha began at the beginning.

Device: Elonex 511EB, Kobo Touch
Is there any way to add books to shelves by the windows drag and drop method. I have thousands of books and didn't really want to load them all to calibre and sort our metadata for shelves. I miss my old Elonex with the easy folders I could make and drag and drop in to.
Rotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #35
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
Yes it is if you use Calibre to do it. Not on the device itself AFAIK.

To use Calibre please read:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193184

and maybe: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=192863

Those threads explain it all in sufficient detail.

I think the point about drag and drop is made in a post in one of these threads, the idea is to use a user column (for your Shelf column) that is (also) of type "Tag". Then the Tag will appear in Calibre on the left hand side pane and you can drag and drop on the Tag (shelf) you want thus easily multi-selecting and assigning books to a shelf.

The beauty is that you don't even need to resend the books to the device to (re)assign books to shelves.
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #36
Rotha
Rotha began at the beginning.

Device: Elonex 511EB, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkobo View Post
Yes it is if you use Calibre to do it. Not on the device itself AFAIK.
Thanks for replying. Was hoping not to have to use 3rd party software to manage my books.
Rotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:09 AM   #37
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotha View Post
Thanks for replying. Was hoping not to have to use 3rd party software to manage my books.
Understandable. But, I really must say that Calibre and davidfor's Kobo driver make it really really easy to keep and sort books. As you say, it would be great to be able to sort stuff onto shelves with the computer system (Windows/Finder), but this just isn't possible. Calibre makes it a lot easier, considering the other options you have.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #38
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Another vote for Calibre here. There is a bit of a learning curve to do the more advanced stuff, but nothing a little forum reading won't get one through. Plus calibre lets you convert formats, drop DRM BS with the appropriate plug-ins (I have zero tolerance for copyright protection that in essence often makes it impossible to use books as they were intended to be used, and damned if I'm paying for multiple file formats of the same book that I've already paid for to use on my own ereader.), and perform all sorts of general library management.

I'd even like the idea of a standalone device that performs the functions of calibre with a built-in HD and USB expansion, or at least an android version for my tablet... Hint, Hint, Calibre Developers.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #39
zztush
Connoisseur
zztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad, iPod and NintendoDS
Dust on Kobo Touch screen

How do you dust Kobo Touch's screen during read? I often blow it instead of wipe.
zztush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:49 AM   #40
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztush View Post
How do you dust Kobo Touch's screen during read? I often blow it instead of wipe.
Me too. And if that doesn't work I put the reader to sleep and wipe ahead, then turn back on to continue reading.

Or, if the dust is in a "handy" spot, I try to turn the page with a swipe over the dust to pick it up with my finger
Old 01-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #41
zztush
Connoisseur
zztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toys

Thanks for replying, Mrs_Often

Yes. I also put the reader to sleep and wipe. It is not happens to me often on iPad or iPhone, but sometimes on Kobo.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #42
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by zztush View Post
I find that wiping the screen straight up works. Or down. Down used to go into "selection" mode (which was great) but now I guess you can use it for cleaning the screen.
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:00 AM   #43
zztush
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmorDog View Post
I find that wiping the screen straight up works. Or down. Down used to go into "selection" mode (which was great) but now I guess you can use it for cleaning the screen.
Oh, great tip. This is what I wanted to know. I really like it thanks, ArmorDog!
Old 02-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #44
Nosediver
Nosediver began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo mini
Hey guys, just found this forum after looking for a solution to a problem I'm having with my new Kobo Mini.

I had a Sony Reader for years before this and have loads of books saved and yet to be read. When reading books I've put on it that were not downloaded from the Kobo site it sometimes messes with the settings on the document. For example, I recently started World War Z. From the very first page the margins were too far in, and would not adjust. After 50 or 60 pages they got even narrower, and then later it got down to one letter per line, making it totally unreadable.

The next book I tried to read it dropped all the commas and quotation marks, making it near impossible to read. Even in books that it doesn't affect this bad, every now and then it drops the last couple of words of a sentence or throws in a nonsense word in the middle of a paragraph. In another book it randomly put the text in italics or underlined it. These files are all fine when I open them on my laptop.

Anybody know why this is? Any help would be greatly appreciated, because I'm on the verge of binning the Kobo and going and getting a new Sony.
Nosediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:42 AM   #45
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosediver View Post
Hey guys, just found this forum after looking for a solution to a problem I'm having with my new Kobo Mini.

I had a Sony Reader for years before this and have loads of books saved and yet to be read. When reading books I've put on it that were not downloaded from the Kobo site it sometimes messes with the settings on the document. For example, I recently started World War Z. From the very first page the margins were too far in, and would not adjust. After 50 or 60 pages they got even narrower, and then later it got down to one letter per line, making it totally unreadable.

The next book I tried to read it dropped all the commas and quotation marks, making it near impossible to read. Even in books that it doesn't affect this bad, every now and then it drops the last couple of words of a sentence or throws in a nonsense word in the middle of a paragraph. In another book it randomly put the text in italics or underlined it. These files are all fine when I open them on my laptop.

Anybody know why this is? Any help would be greatly appreciated, because I'm on the verge of binning the Kobo and going and getting a new Sony.
Oh dear! Don't bin it, it doesn't sound like a Kobo-specific problem. And, I've never seen it happen. Especially not so randomly. Where did you get the books from?

What is very important to know is that Kobo very obediently does what it's told. If there's any coding in the books you read, Kobo listens to the coding and you won't be able to change it from within the reading settings. So, if there's strange margins in the book, the Kobo will give you the strange margins.

Other readers and some (all?) computer epub readers override these kind of settings, which is probably why you don't see these formatting issues on your Sony or on your computer.

Have you looked inside the book? You can change .epub extension to .zip, and then unzip it and take a look at the files. Alternatively, you can open the .epub in Sigil which will allow you to tweak the code. In your case, the easiest I think would be to get Calibre if you don't already have it, and convert the books with Calibre (epub -> epub), and change some settings during the convert. You can have Calibre remove any specific formatting, and if there's no specific formatting in the book, Kobo will let you change settings from the reading settings of the book. I've attached a screen shot of the Calibre settings I use as an example.

P.S. A regular on these forums has the exact same avatar as you do! Very confusing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cal.png
Views:	781
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	101941  

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 02-25-2013 at 04:00 AM.

Tags
faq, kobo, problem, question, wiki