Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 07-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Forum for Sample Chapters

I've noticed folks offering sample chapters and asking for readers. I would like to see a forum specifically for that, where people could only post a sample chapter or a link to a sample chapter and get feedback. After all, the Author-Self Promotion forum is supposed to be for books that are available for download and purchase. What would really be cool, would be the ability to upload a sample chapter in an rtf file and have a meatgrinder here convert it to mobi and epub. Or maybe an online Calibre type program where the person uploading does the input and the chapter is saved to a mobilread forum. Or maybe that's already available. Or maybe even a mobilread dropbox.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Sounds like an idea. But if you're wanting feedback, that's usually best done in a direct forum setting. We actually did this over at Writing Forums, but we posted the sample chapter as part of our first post in a new thread. People would read it, give feedback, etc. Sometimes it would only be partial chapters or just scenes. It was a great way for less experienced writers to get feedback from other writers and learn cool little tricks, or find problems and eliminate them through the help of more senior experienced writers. I know it helped me iron out some really bad issues I had in my writing that I didn't even realise I had. One of my big one was word repeating.

Another trick we did was to take a test story, or something new we were working on, and spread it out over an entire thread one post at a time with maybe a few days or a week between chapter additions. Really the idea worked well and was a big help for newer authors looking to polish their craft. The only question here however is this. Is the focus of Mobile Read to promote ebooks, reading devices and published authors with already available ebooks, or is it to help newer authors get on their feet (ie, create a story worthy of publication), or both?

I'm not against your idea as I think it's a great one and helped me a lot in the earlier days of my writing. I'm just wondering if it's what Mobile Read wants to focus on. I say that because, if the focus gets too wide, you'll lose members and visitors. It also works the same way if the focus is too narrow. So you have to balance it between both extremes. It's something I learned in the 7 years I spent first moding a forum, then running my own tech site. It's not an easy thing to balance, and right now I think Mobile Read is doing a good job with that difficult task.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I don't object to the idea of a special subforum for writers to ask for feedback etc., that would certainly be better - I think - than having that become a common part of Writer's Corner itself. However there are other forums around dedicated to this sort of writer interaction, and it may be better for writers that are looking for this to join one of those.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I don't object to the idea of a special subforum for writers to ask for feedback etc., that would certainly be better - I think - than having that become a common part of Writer's Corner itself. However there are other forums around dedicated to this sort of writer interaction, and it may be better for writers that are looking for this to join one of those.
This is the only writer's forum I am part of. I might need to Google around a bit and see if there is another place with people as cool as this one.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
This is the only writer's forum I am part of. I might need to Google around a bit and see if there is another place with people as cool as this one.
That's why I suggested one here. I'm a part of other forums, including Goodreads, Autononomy, and Writerscafe.org, but mobilreads is a special place. I was thinking of a forum where not only feedback could be obtained, but also links to first chapters could be available for people to discover new authors or new genres they might like to take a crack at.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Forget the idea of a meatgrinder. If you formatting is awful, forget reading the sample. I won't trust the full book to be any better and poor enough formatting is going to turn me off before I even get to reading.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
You can start a thread in the writer's forum and ask for feedback. You can even write a story one segment at a time and have members give you suggestions as to what happens next. That really hones your improv writing skills.

Obviously, be sure you formatting is correct.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote