Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

Old 08-01-2003, 08:16 PM   #1
volcanopele
Connoisseur
volcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it is

Device: Clie NR70V
New Beta: iSilo/X 4.0

I just noticed before heading out the door that iSilo 4.0 has been released as a beta along with iSiloX/C. Updates in 4.0 include: font support (using FontBucket fonts, their own Font Silo format, and FontHack fonts), support for additional encodings, support for lossy compression, support for vCard and vCalender elements, and support for "inline document drop-down menus."

iSilo
http://www.isilo.com

iSiloX/C
http://www.isilox.com

Information on the new beta
http://www.isilo.com/info/beta/changes.htm
Old 08-01-2003, 08:41 PM   #2
volcanopele
Connoisseur
volcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it is

I should note that there is a fee to upgrade to 4.0. According to the iSilo FAQ:

iSilo™ 4.0 has not yet been released. It is currently in the beta test stage. However, you can pre-purchase an upgrade from the iSilo.com online store. The cost of a single user license upgrade during the pre-release period is U.S. $7.49, a discount of 25% from the regular price of $9.99. The 25% discount offer expires September 1, 2003.

If you purchased a license for iSilo™ 3.x after August 1, then the registration code you receive should automatically allow you to upgrade to iSilo™ 4.0 when it is released.

Those with non-upgradeable licenses, rebranded, or customized versions of iSilo™ do not qualify for the upgrade offer.
Advert
Old 08-01-2003, 08:48 PM   #3
volcanopele
Connoisseur

I hate to be repeating things I am saying over at Cliesource but I thought to was important to note. I am getting very nice file size improvements with 4.0. I downloaded the Gadgeteer mobile page and I got a 66% improvement with lossy compression set to only JPEGs and at the default of 75%.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:25 PM   #4
Griff
Enthusiast
Griff began at the beginning.

Device: Clie NR70v
I hate to repeat things I've said too, but I do know the iSilo folk read over here.

I am generally not opposed to paying for upgrades to software, but I am not happy with fees for upgrades when I just purchased a couple months ago. Most developers will grandfather people in that have purchased within the past 6 months. Hopefully the folks at iSilo will rethink the policy and do the same.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:39 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I agree that there should be a grace period for registered users who just recently purchased iSilo 3.x.

Just my humble thought.

Aside from this, the new features in 4.0 are simply breathtaking!
Advert
Old 08-02-2003, 12:30 PM   #6
Griff
Enthusiast

Does it have landscape mode yet? Gotta have this for viewing the comics each day! ;-)
Old 08-02-2003, 02:53 PM   #7
volcanopele
Connoisseur

Landscape mode has not been added. However, they are still early in the beta period, so I guess if you request it now, they might be able to add it.
Old 08-02-2003, 06:45 PM   #8
BasilC
Zealot
BasilC is on a distinguished road

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally posted by volcanopele
I hate to be repeating things I am saying over at Cliesource but I thought to was important to note. I am getting very nice file size improvements with 4.0. I downloaded the Gadgeteer mobile page and I got a 66% improvement with lossy compression set to only JPEGs and at the default of 75%.
How much difference to the image quality does the lossy compression make?
Old 08-03-2003, 02:21 PM   #9
volcanopele
Connoisseur

I am not really noticing that much of a difference. However, after having worked with a lot of lossy compressed images sent by NASA spacecraft at work, I know that there is quite a bit of data lost when an image is lossy compressed. However, with the amount of compression set to 75% (the default) and lossy level set to just JPEGs, I am not noticing any major loss in quality in the small images I am seeing in the channels I view (e.g. Gadgeteer).
Old 08-04-2003, 12:17 AM   #10
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I've only been a registered iSilo user for a few months myself, and I'd like to see some grace period given to newer registrees.

Having said that, I've just put my money where my mouth is, and pre-registered for v4, mainly for this reason: I love iSilo, it is the best app on my Clie, and the most used app as well. I fully support the guys developing it and making it better, and wanted to show that in a visceral way.

Keep up the great work, guys!

Regards,
Craig.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:08 AM   #11
JT45
JT45 began at the beginning.

Device: Zire 71
Just my luck. I installed iSilo just a day before the beta came out. Anyways, the old version seems to be fine and stable, so I will wait it out til the new point release comes out.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:07 AM   #12
archituz
Connoisseur
archituz doesn't litterarchituz doesn't litter

Dear iSilo Community,
IMO, the iSilo/iSiloX upgrade is definitely worth the additional cost.

I installed iSilo quite a while ago on my beloved, and still-going-strong Handera 330. I use iSilo to read stuff ALL the time-- waiting for the subway, ON the subway, on lines at the ATM, on long elevator rides(!), etc. It's part of my fast life.

And, for me, equally or more valuable than my pleasurable use, are the developer's
Constant re-evaluation and upgrade to make iSilox better and keeping with other emerging technologies and new hardware;
Dedication to registered users as evidenced by the detailed e-mail/newsletters;
Quick and concise responses to support questions;
Very public participation in this forum;
Obvious cooperation with our Alex to openly receive bug reports and to maintain communication to the iSilo-using public;
And. . . . you get the idea.

The cost is small while the value is great. Count me all the way in.
Marty
Old 08-05-2003, 10:11 AM   #13
Griff
Enthusiast

The thing I notice is that everyone who has said the upgrade is worth the cost has also said they've had it installed for "quite a while". Of course the cost is worth it if you purchased 6 months or a year ago, but having just purchased a little over a month ago this is one cost I'll have to justify by the features it adds.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:48 PM   #14
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
As I said, I've only been a registered user for a month or two myself, and I've registered for v4. To be honest, when I saw that it was version _4_, I expected to pay for an upgrade, as it is standard practice for almost all shareware to charge for major release upgrades.

I agree, some grace period would be nice, but I'm still happy to show my support for such a fantastic product.

The new features seem pretty good too (I'll be able to see them for myself in iSiloX when the next beta comes out :P ). I like the font support is a nice feature for us OS4 hires users as well.

Regards,
Craig.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:52 PM   #15
Griff
Enthusiast

Well, I've already decided that if the few features I'd like to see go in, I'll also purchase the upgrade. While I don't think the policy is fair, it is the policy and I'll abide by it.

I would like to see the upgrade fee posted at Handango and Palmgear though as I do have some credits I need to use up.